Low hanging Mufflers

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 07:04 AM
Moon86
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low hanging Mufflers

The outer shells of the mufflers on my 85 are starting to deteriorate and I'm pretty sure they are the stock ones. I just can't warm up to seeing the mufflers hang below the body line so I'm wondering how I can make sure that replacements will fit like the originals? I'm sure other people have gone thru this and would be interested in their stories. Thanks
Old 06-30-2010, 08:39 AM
mdlfcrss
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Moon86
The outer shells of the mufflers on my 85 are starting to deteriorate and I'm pretty sure they are the stock ones. I just can't warm up to seeing the mufflers hang below the body line so I'm wondering how I can make sure that replacements will fit like the originals? I'm sure other people have gone thru this and would be interested in their stories. Thanks
If they are the stock mufflers, now is the perfect time to make the jump to some performance pieces. I have Corsa's on my 91 now...they fit great. Before that, it was a Flowmaster system which also fit great but I couldn't stand their droning. I think that any big name exhaust company that makes exact fit replacements will do you fine.
The only problem you might run into is "universal mufflers" that have to be adapted to fit. Run fast from anyone pushing those! Good luck!
Old 06-30-2010, 09:20 AM
PLRX
Team Owner

Received 501 Likes on 342 Posts
Co-winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C4 of Year
2016 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Here we go the Borla, Corsa, Magnaflow, Flowmaster, Muffler Eliminators, BB and others battle again.

Old 06-30-2010, 10:09 AM
Sweet 90
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by PLRX
Here we go the Borla, Corsa, Magnaflow, Flowmaster, Muffler Eliminators, BB and others battle again.

Well at least we haven't had an antifreeze thread.................................. ............... yet
Old 06-30-2010, 11:02 AM
Frizlefrak
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Or a wheel thread......
Old 06-30-2010, 11:05 AM
kangi
Burning Brakes

....or a what's your favorite color for a C4 thread.....
Old 06-30-2010, 01:33 PM
Moon86
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

I didn't ask what was the "best", most hp, best sound, etc, muffler. I asked about mufflers that fit like stock. I've seen a lot of pics of cars on this site where in the side view you can see the muffler hanging below the body line. I don't want that look even if the mufflers are shiny stainless. Now I'm sure some people here have bought mufflers and didn't realize that they wouldn't fit in place like the originals. What I'm asking is how to tell I'm getting mufflers that tuck up in like the originals.

Moon
Old 06-30-2010, 02:04 PM
mdlfcrss
Burning Brakes

I didn't ask what was the "best", most hp, best sound, etc, muffler. I asked about mufflers that fit like stock. I've seen a lot of pics of cars on this site where in the side view you can see the muffler hanging below the body line. I don't want that look even if the mufflers are shiny stainless. Now I'm sure some people here have bought mufflers and didn't realize that they wouldn't fit in place like the originals. What I'm asking is how to tell I'm getting mufflers that tuck up in like the originals.

Moon
Well, that's what I tried to tell you... I've had the Flowmaster System and it fit fine. I presently have a Corsa System and it fits fine. Those are the mufflers that I've had on my car so I am speaking from my own personal experience.
I worked in a muffler shop for more years than I'll admit to and people used to complain a lot about how their new mufflers appeared to be hanging too low. Fact of the matter was that their old mufflers, after years of collecting road grime, just blended in with the undercarriage... now they see a bright shiny new muffler that sticks out like a sore thumb and think it's not hung correctly!
Now can we please talk about more important things like why nobody waves anymore???
Old 06-30-2010, 02:11 PM
RetiredSFC 97
Team Owner

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10, '14

the only mufflers I've seen that don't do the droopy drawers thing are muffler eliminators, I think maybe some bullets and the LT1 targas.

I think even the stock mufflers hang down some don't they?

So you may want to stay stock because I don't know if you'll find it in aftermarket. JMO
Old 06-30-2010, 02:15 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,358 Likes on 2,786 Posts

Moon
This is a legitimate concen. I had a '94 years ago that needed mufflers, and I let a mechanic I knew talk me into some high performance ones from Mid America that hung down 100% more than stock. It wasnt until I was at Bloomington when another Corvette owner noted how awful they looked that I realized it wasnt my imagination. Threw them away and got stock-style replacements that fit up and into the area correctly.
Old 06-30-2010, 02:28 PM
Moon86
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Sorry mdlfcrss. I think I skipped right over your post when I saw the one right after it first. Your right about new mufflers looking like they hang lower. After looking at some more pics, the mufflers I really notice are the ones where the exhaust tip comes straight out of the muffler.

The only people who don't wave around here are the ones who have the ac on and the windows up.

Moon
Old 06-30-2010, 04:11 PM
Eakster
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mdlfcrss
Well, that's what I tried to tell you... I've had the Flowmaster System and it fit fine. I presently have a Corsa System and it fits fine. Those are the mufflers that I've had on my car so I am speaking from my own personal experience.
I worked in a muffler shop for more years than I'll admit to and people used to complain a lot about how their new mufflers appeared to be hanging too low. Fact of the matter was that their old mufflers, after years of collecting road grime, just blended in with the undercarriage... now they see a bright shiny new muffler that sticks out like a sore thumb and think it's not hung correctly!
Now can we please talk about more important things like why nobody waves anymore???
Every single Corsa C4 I've seen they stick out below the body line and do not blend at all. It's not the look the OP is going for
Old 06-30-2010, 04:19 PM
mdlfcrss
Burning Brakes

Sorry mdlfcrss. I think I skipped right over your post when I saw the one right after it first. Your right about new mufflers looking like they hang lower. After looking at some more pics, the mufflers I really notice are the ones where the exhaust tip comes straight out of the muffler.

The only people who don't wave around here are the ones who have the ac on and the windows up.

Moon
Just trying to help

Actually, my Corsa tips come straight out, but the body of the mufflers aren't near as "fat" as the O.E. muffs. I remember assembling the cat back system (on my back in the driveway) and as you rotated the pipes back and forth that fed into the mufflers, the muffs would either raise up into the body or go the other way and droop. I remember adjusting them, shimmying my fat *** out from underneath, standing back to check it out and then re-adjusting until I liked the way it looked. Good luck with your project!
Old 06-30-2010, 04:57 PM
jhammons01
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Look, I post this on every Muffler thread. You need to head out and find a real muffler shop like this one

http://www.mustangandfords.com/techa...tallation.html

Guys like this take the time to make sure they weld brackets and flanges onto the parts they sell you from Flowmaster or Magnaflow.....and sometimes they install the parts "Correctly" for free.......

They know what sounds like what.....they install these things all the time and they can steer you towards the right parts.

Every time I see some Ricer with a fart cannon hanging all crooked and pointing the wrong direction....I just laugh...knowing they spent hours trying to cobble together that POS exhaust.....when a real muffler shop would have done a professional job in a few hours for them..........
Old 06-30-2010, 09:03 PM
mikeb
Team Owner

Received 177 Likes on 81 Posts
2023 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C3 of the Year Winner - Unmodified

Mufflers?

Mufflers?

We don't need no stinkin' Mufflers!!

Old 06-30-2010, 09:11 PM
John A. Marker
Le Mans Master

Received 167 Likes on 148 Posts

Mid America carries a "stock" replacement. The original stock mufflers for the 85 had two tips exiting the rear of the muffler....but only ONE WORKED! The other was a dummy. The Mid America mufflers have the two tips....and.....they both work.
Old 06-30-2010, 09:17 PM
GKK
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Just buy the Stock replacements if money is a concern or find a pair of used LT1 mufflers which breath a lot better.

Get notified of new replies

To Low hanging Mufflers

Old 06-30-2010, 09:23 PM
pkazsr
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In X Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

You can see my FlowMasters from the side and I painted them to match the body. I get positive comments about the look of them.
Old 07-01-2010, 01:38 PM
SQUIRMIN VERMIN 84
Drifting

Location: Supreme Soviet Peace-Loving Pipple's Kollektive of Seattle Wa
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by touringmike
Mufflers?

Mufflers?

We don't need no stinkin' Mufflers!!

That's what I have too, (no stinkin' mufflers), and it sounds just great! I have single tips, but might try adding the duals....
Old 07-01-2010, 01:55 PM
Z06X
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pkazsr
You can see my FlowMasters from the side and I painted them to match the body. I get positive comments about the look of them.
Two body colored exhausts in one thread....this ain't a good sign. I gotta see pics of these white mufflers.

The red pipes above...NOT somethin you'd see on my car.

Quick Reply: Low hanging Mufflers