C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

"You were doing 37 in a 35"

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 10:27 AM
Mouse2112
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default "You were doing 37 in a 35"

You know, I have defended the Police when people complain about being pulled over for speeding or something else. (Ex-Father in Law is a Cop) That defense ends today. I was on my way to work and well what do you know, the cop hit his lights and pulled me over. Why? Because I was doing 37 MPH in a 35 MPH zone on a country road. I was just stunned. He asked to me to get out of the car and then the questions started. Do I have a full time job? Do I work every day? What is my Salary? Have I ever been arrested and the like. After about 5 minutes of asking me questions he let me go without a ticket. Before he left, I simply asked, "Did you really pull me over for going 37 in a 35 or is something else going on? I'm just curious." And yes I was very polite and respectful. He did not answer the question. He simply said, Have a good day. And he left. I don't know whether to pizzed off or thankful that he didn't give me a ticket. Nice way to start my Friday morning. This is also the first time I have been pulled over since college. Just damn.
Old 06-11-2010, 10:30 AM
socalman
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

mm... something else was going on. He was just talking with you to hear you talk and see where you were at. Never heard of a cop asking personal questions like that.
Old 06-11-2010, 10:40 AM
Sweet 90
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

That really must have been a WTF moment for you. Glad it worked out in the end
Old 06-11-2010, 10:55 AM
Mouse2112
Drifting

It would have been one thing if he said, "We have had reports that a car that matches your car is driving recklessly so I'm just checking it out." Well then, very cool....I'm OK with that. But what really bugs me are the questions he asked. How much do I make? What in the hell does that have to do with me going 37 in a 35? Sure, ask the questions and once I am cleared, do me the favor and fill me in.
Old 06-11-2010, 10:58 AM
PreynMantis
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sweet 90
That really must have been a WTF moment for you. Glad it worked out in the end
x2

I likely would have been given a ticket, I don't answer personal questions like that. I am as polite and respectful as possible with LEOs, but that does not extend to permitting them to cross a line. If he is "looking" for something, be forthright.

Last edited by PreynMantis; 06-11-2010 at 11:00 AM.
Old 06-11-2010, 11:02 AM
1st87
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah i agree, he should have never asked you to get out. kinda violation your rights there...no ticket..... think i would give the dept a call and see whats up with this.....
Old 06-11-2010, 11:13 AM
Jon Hekking
Race Director

Received 242 Likes on 129 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C3 of Year Finalist (stock)

Originally Posted by 1st87
yeah i agree, he should have never asked you to get out. kinda violation your rights there...no ticket..... think i would give the dept a call and see whats up with this.....
I think I would let it drop. After all, a country road which I would guess he travels daily on some cops beat, don't think I would want him upset and waiting for me everyday..............
Old 06-11-2010, 11:16 AM
techvette
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Why would he ask you about your job / salary? That is just plain bizarre.
Old 06-11-2010, 11:19 AM
StealthLT4
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I wouldn't have answered any of those questions, he has no right to ask. Who cares if he did give you a ticket? I would take it to court and have the judge laugh in the cop's face for writing a ticket for 2 over.
Old 06-11-2010, 11:19 AM
jakers
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by Mouse2112
You know, I have defended the Police when people complain about being pulled over for speeding or something else. (Ex-Father in Law is a Cop) That defense ends today. I was on my way to work and well what do you know, the cop hit his lights and pulled me over. Why? Because I was doing 37 MPH in a 35 MPH zone on a country road. I was just stunned. He asked to me to get out of the car and then the questions started. Do I have a full time job? Do I work every day? What is my Salary? Have I ever been arrested and the like. After about 5 minutes of asking me questions he let me go without a ticket. Before he left, I simply asked, "Did you really pull me over for going 37 in a 35 or is something else going on? I'm just curious." And yes I was very polite and respectful. He did not answer the question. He simply said, Have a good day. And he left. I don't know whether to pizzed off or thankful that he didn't give me a ticket. Nice way to start my Friday morning. This is also the first time I have been pulled over since college. Just damn.

OK typically I side with LEO. They have tough jobs to do. Most are really good people. I did have one extremely bad/odd/unusual situation occur during a traffic stop. I was driving black little Black Alfa Spider with flashy gold BBS wheels... I was driving the speed limit and adhering to all laws when he pulled me over. The area was a know speed trap and I drove through it daily. It was obviously the car that got me stopped. (BTW: that little AlfA looked great but had all of maybe 110-120 horses and could not get out of its own way.) The way I was treated led me to believe that someone with a car matching the description of mine was "banging" this cops wife. Long story, but it did end well for me and not so well for the cop.

The thing that bothers me here is the "Do you have a job?" "Do you work full time?" the topper is "What is your salary?" Are you kidding me? Maybe a detective, the District Attorney or a Judge could ask you those questions if your were being prosecuted for income tax evasion or drug charges, but I cannot understand the line of questioning coming from a regular traffic cop? He was out of line.

BTW: the local bad guy obviously drives a Torch Red C4 better get ready to run like the movie "Fugitive"!

Last edited by jakers; 06-11-2010 at 11:30 AM.
Old 06-11-2010, 11:22 AM
Fast Cop
Melting Slicks

Received 61 Likes on 47 Posts

I hope you got his name and badge number. #1 I would have asked him to write me the ticket and #2 I would be calling the PD and filing a complaint with the IA division. What he did is BS and gives all the hard working LEO's out their trying to make things better a bad name.

As far as his questions, I would not have answered them as they had nothing to do with the reason for the stop.

Sorry to hear about what happened to you, but please continue to support the good hard working officers out their, don't let one bad apple spoil the whole bunch.
Old 06-11-2010, 11:23 AM
shakedown067
Le Mans Master

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Wow, that's weird. I think I'd called that in. Not enquired about said stop but asked the department about any suspicious activity in the area at the time you were stopped.
Old 06-11-2010, 11:27 AM
j-vette
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

You got stopped because he wanted to see your car... Which also explains the questions about job and salary...

You didn't get a ticket because 37 in a 35 is two miles difference and within “mechanical variances” and wouldn't stand up in court, and was simply the excuse to stop you...

Old 06-11-2010, 11:31 AM
RetiredSFC 97
Team Owner

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10, '14

It would have been one thing if he said, "We have had reports that a car that matches your car is driving recklessly so I'm just checking it out." Well then, very cool....I'm OK with that. But what really bugs me are the questions he asked. How much do I make? What in the hell does that have to do with me going 37 in a 35? Sure, ask the questions and once I am cleared, do me the favor and fill me in.
he was trying to bait you

lucky for you, you weren't playing. He knows a judge would never go for a 37 in a 35 so he was looking for a reason.

He also has that, I'm in charge and I'm the king of the world little pecker attitude.

during these economic times I have seen more cops and speed traps out than I have ever seen in my life of driving, but most still adhere to the common sense approach fortunately!
Old 06-11-2010, 11:34 AM
esham
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 55 Likes on 13 Posts

I would have probably been arrested after I was pulled over again for doing a long burnout when leaving.
Old 06-11-2010, 11:38 AM
Mouse2112
Drifting

Originally Posted by esham
I would have probably been arrested after I was pulled over again for doing a long burnout when leaving.
Old 06-11-2010, 11:40 AM
rickneworleansla
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

"We have had reports that a car that matches your car is driving recklessly so I'm just checking it out."
I get told that exact same thing every time. I was pulled over three times within about two months on the same bridge. Same excuse. That must be in the handbook somewhere for pulling over Corvettes.

Last edited by rickneworleansla; 06-11-2010 at 12:05 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To "You were doing 37 in a 35"

Old 06-11-2010, 11:43 AM
Jamesnns
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm a firm believer that cops aren't out there to help you, there out there to get you.

At 2 mph over, he's fishing.

People get tickets or go to jail cause they talk too much.
Old 06-11-2010, 11:51 AM
Durissus
Racer

Maybe, and that's a BIG maybe...he just wanted to figure out if he could afford a vette on a cop's salary??? But I'm in agreement that this was uncalled for. Makes you wonder if he was really a cop? There are "posers" out there, with lights siren, etc, etc. And their motives are usually not good!
Old 06-11-2010, 12:02 PM
Mouse2112
Drifting

Originally Posted by Durissus
Maybe, and that's a BIG maybe...he just wanted to figure out if he could afford a vette on a cop's salary??? But I'm in agreement that this was uncalled for. Makes you wonder if he was really a cop? There are "posers" out there, with lights siren, etc, etc. And their motives are usually not good!
Nah, the cop was legit. I mean would a poser go as far as to paint his car in the same colors as the police?

Last edited by Mouse2112; 06-11-2010 at 01:31 PM.

Quick Reply: "You were doing 37 in a 35"