no power to AC compressor

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 08:38 AM
joe8915
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default no power to AC compressor

It’s been a great month…………..

I thought a simple solution, no cold air when turning on the AC. First thing I had to do is convert the Freon, ok no problem there ($145.00) now I can’t get any power to the AC compressor. Any Ideas.

Here is the past work in the last month.

New intake manifold gasket ($475.00)………….. (Had a small oil leak from storing it over the winter)

New catalytic converter ($500.00)…….. (All of sudden lost power). I didn’t know how big of a difference that makes in performance. I don’t know if it’s legal or not. They punch out the Left and Right Cats and replaced the main. comments welcome

Thanks for hearing me out. Can't wait for next month
Old 06-09-2010, 10:54 AM
Shanee
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had the exact same problem. I took mine in to some older mechanic guy who knew about C4 corvettes, who also owned one, and it was the circuit board. He either reset mine or he did something that bypassed it (can't remember which one he said). Took him less than 30 minutes and charged me just $40
Old 06-09-2010, 12:16 PM
joe8915
Advanced

Shane, thanks for chimming in. The circuit board? Interesting thought. I just talk to mechanic, he thought he would try bypassing and go direct to AC compressor and make sure it works.

Is there was a reset button somewhere? or maybe a inline fuse?
Old 06-09-2010, 12:19 PM
Shanee
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah I took mine to about three different mechanics and none could figure out what was wrong. They tried replacing things in it and couldn't get it to power on. The one who fixed it said it's happened to his before so he knew what it was right away. I'm not sure at all how he fixed it. I could try asking him sometime soon. He's one of my Dad's friends lol
Old 06-09-2010, 12:36 PM
SunCr
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Assuming it's a '90 or up, once it sets a Low Gas Code, nothing works until the Code is cleared. Disconnect and reconnect the Battery. There's no point in trying to bypass how it works - it works that way to keep it from blowing up.
Old 06-09-2010, 12:57 PM
joe8915
Advanced

SunCR .
Yes its a 90,,,,,,,Wow hot tip there. Never thought of disconnect battery. Although I never did see a "Low Gas Code"

Shane, that would be great if you can find out. I don't have to tell you about these mechanic's. Your dads best friend, hey I am only 60...lol
Old 06-09-2010, 01:29 PM
markjonesa
Intermediate

Had a similar problem with my 93; system kept shutting down. Eventually figured out it was my dash control unit (discontinued part, of course and dealership couldn't help) Found one in parts place in Florida. No problems now for 2 weeks.
Old 06-09-2010, 01:59 PM
joe8915
Advanced

Mark, just got off the with the used parts for vettes. Yep, that little item would run me about $150.00 plus S&H and, o yes lets not to forget the $75.00 core charge.

Sure hope I don't have to go down that path.
Old 06-09-2010, 02:28 PM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Received 1,089 Likes on 658 Posts

One thing to check is the low pressure sensor thingy. A few months after I converted mine, the sensor went and it set a code (I forget which) and there was not power to the compressor because the computer thought the unit was out of freon. Seems to be a common issue because the sensor was design for the old R12. After a bit of diagnostics, it was simple to replace, but I had to dump all the freon and vacuum again. Part is inexpensive and readily available at AutoZone.
Old 06-09-2010, 03:18 PM
joe8915
Advanced

Flame,

I just finished reading a big article from SunCR in this forum. He must be one of the big gurus for vetts. So big thanks to him and the others. It looks like I have a few paths to go down on..

I will be checking out the AC Condensor Pressure Switch.
Old 06-09-2010, 03:22 PM
SunCr
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Low Pressure Switch is on a Schrader (or should be) and there's no need to dump anything.

PCM monitors how often it's opening and closing the ground circuit for the compressor relay and if it's rapid; sets the Code and shuts it down. PCM also monitors the Pressure Sensor - high side also on a Schrader - for a rise in pressure when the compressor engages.

An intermittent connection could set a code (if it's an on/off thing), but most of the time the connection stays loose and the system stays off until you get a new connector or a better connection. More common (around here) on the '94 and later years. If there's no Code and it won't run, wriggle it around - try disconnecting and reconnecting it a couple of times. One of my trucks had this problem - usually when it was 90 degrees or better - damn.
Old 06-09-2010, 04:05 PM
joe8915
Advanced

SunCR,

Just throwing this out. In my earlier thread I mention I had to replace my cats. The guy said that my left side was running so hot that it glowed. I just wonder if it got so hot around that area that I burned something up. My AC sits on that same side where the CAT was. Just a thought. I guess anything is possible.

I have printed all this information, so I will be going down and talking to the mechanic and I hope I can come out of this alive.

Impressed with the knowledge and what a great forum.
Old 06-11-2010, 11:38 PM
joe8915
Advanced

Ok everyone the repair is done. How about when your light is blinking on the dash for your AC. That means reset the computer by disconnecting your battery. So I disconect the battery and Bam the condensor kick right in. Phew thank god.

Thanks for all who chime in. See ya on the road, be safe out there

Get notified of new replies

To no power to AC compressor

Quick Reply: no power to AC compressor