C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

93 C4 misfiring when acclerating

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 11:23 PM
ritchiem
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 93 C4 misfiring when acclerating

Jeez, right before I head out on a huge road trip, the car starts misfiring when accelerating. Took it to the dealer - I know, big mistake, but I thought they might find the problem quickly. Their solution - replace plugs and wires - for $800. I actually gave them the go-ahead but am going to haul over there tomorrow AM and get my car before the rape me. That's just out of control. It's probably $250 for parts. I just do not trust these guys.

I'm probably taking it to the shop down the street, way more fair and honest. Obviously, I'm bracing for it to be the opti.

I've read up a bit. Questions - Lots of stuff says 'check the grounds'. Where are they in general? Any map in the FSM? I couldn't find one easily.
Also, you guys have gone through this - where else would you start looking before replacing $600 in parts?

I hate misspelled words - it's spelled ' accelerating', but it looks like you can't edit the title.
Old 06-06-2010, 11:26 PM
carb0n
Advanced

I am not keen on deep mechanic knowledge but I can throw in a brief experience of my own.
My C4 accidently got drenched in water and it reached the optispark distributor and caused the C4 to misfire horribly and it took 1 week of sitting in the garage to dry out before it ran just fine again. It could be the opti if you've had problems relating to it or got it wet (that's a story I won't even discuss lol)
Old 06-06-2010, 11:41 PM
jimg's'93
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You really need to check for any stored codes before you blindly start chasing the problem. Misfires or stumbling can be caused by any number of problems from fuel to vacuum to electrical and the codes can help steer you closer. As for the plugs and wires for $800?? Take some time and replace 'em yourself for a fraction of that!
Old 06-07-2010, 11:36 AM
pcolt94
Le Mans Master

Received 197 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by ritchiem
Jeez, right before I head out on a huge road trip, the car starts misfiring when accelerating. Took it to the dealer - I know, big mistake, but I thought they might find the problem quickly. Their solution - replace plugs and wires - for $800. I actually gave them the go-ahead but am going to haul over there tomorrow AM and get my car before the rape me. That's just out of control. It's probably $250 for parts. I just do not trust these guys.

That’s really excessive – RUN AWAY. 8 plugs and wires got to be under $100 for normal parts. Plugs and wires can be a task in a vette but a tech with all the tools and experience should be able to do it in a few hours. What’s their labor rate?

And I don’t think it will cure the problem. I am going to go out a bit on a limb and say the opti might be your problem.

If you have bucking or coughing on acceleration when it gets hot but runs good cold, these are opti symptoms. If you downshift the problem lightens up or have a varying idle. You have not detailed your symptoms to much so I can't be sure, but just my first impression of what you said.
Old 06-08-2010, 12:54 PM
onedef92
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Originally Posted by jimg's'93
You really need to check for any stored codes before you blindly start chasing the problem. Misfires or stumbling can be caused by any number of problems from fuel to vacuum to electrical and the codes can help steer you closer. As for the plugs and wires for $800?? Take some time and replace 'em yourself for a fraction of that!

I'm hip! You can get NGK TR-55 Double Platinum plugs for $5 each (or less) at any major auto parts store. You can also get premium quality, 7mm ignition wires for around $75.

Do the labor yourself if you can. It's a pain in the butt on LT-X engines, but certainly doable. You've got the FSM, which details how to swap the plugs and wires out.

It took me about four hours the first time I swapped out my plugs AND wires with a buddy to help me.
Old 06-08-2010, 03:25 PM
Eakster
Safety Car

I had the same symptoms when my plug wires went out. They were stock replacement, only about a year old and the problem wasn't visible. Codes were for 'multiple misfire' - not much help
Pull your codes - tons of help available from the forum here before you have to open your wallet
Old 06-08-2010, 03:52 PM
j-vette
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by ritchiem
Their solution - replace plugs and wires - for $800

Originally Posted by onedef92
It took me about four hours the first time I swapped out my plugs AND wires with a buddy to help me.
Some friend

j/k
Old 06-08-2010, 09:04 PM
URUSAINA
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Code it. Might be an 02 sensor/s.

Get notified of new replies

To 93 C4 misfiring when acclerating

Quick Reply: 93 C4 misfiring when acclerating