Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

What's the worst thing that's happened to your vette?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2002, 12:21 AM
Qblue92
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Default What's the worst thing that's happened to your vette?

What is the worst memory that you have of your Corvette? Mine was a night about 2 1/2 years ago..... A woman I had met through work thought I was nice, and wanted to set me up with her 22y/o daughter. I usually don't go for blind dates, but another guy at work had seen her picture, and told me I wouldn't be disappointed. I don't know what her Mom told her about me, but "Leslie" wanted to go out..soon..so after talking to her on the phone for the 2nd time, I agreed to go out to eat with her on after I got off work late..on a Tuesday night. I drove the Vette to her apartment and got there around 9. this really cute blond answers the door. Cool. she leads me in and introduces me to a cuter blond, who was actually "Leslie" COOL!! we made small talk blah blah and were hungry, so we left. I get about 1/2 mile from her place, and I see Mustang headlights in my rearview mirror. As he got beside me, going about 25, we both nail it, and he waxes my butt. this car would have done a low 12 or so. I never had a chance to look or listen to how the car was set up...oh well. It was a short spanking I got, and a red light was close, so i slowed down and got behind the Stang 'cuz I had to turn right. As soon as I stop, pow! My engine goes up in smoke and fumes, and a cop pulls up behind me. Lovely. He had to have seen us gettin' it on... I apologized to"Leslie" and told her I usually don't get into nearly this much trouble. My gauges and dummy lights are telling me that my car is getting too hot, I'm losing coolant. The light takes FOREVER. Finally, it changes. the stang and I went right, and I pull over to shut the car off at the first spot I see. The cop either went after the Stang, or on the freeway. cool! I think the cop ran my plate and saw that I wasn't a wanted criminal....I couldn't see anything where I was, so I went another 1/8th mile up the road and parked under a huge lighted sign thing. As I'm getting out of my Vette, some dude I've never seen before pulls up in a Taurus and gets out. I thought he must be a good Samaritan or a Vette guy too to see if I'm gonna be ok. NOOOO! "Leslie" gets out of my car and they start yelling at each other. "F#ck you! I'm tired of your sh#t! Get back in that G#dd#mn burnt up Vette and leave me alone!!!!" I'm in total shock. What's going on? They yell and then talk and hug. and yell some more. He had a leg brace on- due to a bad knee I presume. He told me if it wasn't for his knee brace, he would be kicking my butt right now. Whatever. I had mostly been ignoring them because I wanted to find what was wrong with my car, but couldn't because of a ton of steam coming from the front. Leslie came to me and apologized and told me she would call her roommate to give her a ride home. fine. go away....I got in and fired it up. it was hot, but not bad yet. I pulled over twice to add coolant. The analog gauge failed and went down to nothing, but the digital temp read fine. I shut the car off and coasted the last several blocks.. the temp was 230ish for a while, and was 242 when I shut it off. it wasn't that hot for long at all, but it was long enough to blow both head gaskets. &%#$@#$!!! Leslie called me the next night and apologized some more. That was her boyfriend. They had agreed to a trial separation and to see other people, but Prince Charming forgot or something. I found out 6 weeks after all this, that Prince Charming/Taurus Guy was a cop. I'm really glad I didn't scrap it out with him. I'd probably be writing this from prison.... What caused the problem? The lil' hose hat goes fron the upper rad hose to the TB popped a little pin hole in itself, and was whizzing on the hot engine. A $7 hose.
Old 03-15-2002, 12:34 AM
C4-Wolf
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: What's the worst thing that's happened to your vette? (qblue92)

That's a pretty bad story. Almost all my corvette stories are good.
I did blow a coolant hose once when I was at the track (road course), but that mostly just sucked for the other people on the track that spun out when they drove through the mess. I got it fixed an hour later an by then the spill was mostly gone. :yesnod: :lol:
Old 03-15-2002, 12:52 AM
Patrick96LT4
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran
Default Re: What's the worst thing that's happened to your vette? (C4-Wolf)

I've got one word for you, "paragraphs".

They are free, and make it much easier for the reader. :rolleyes:
Old 03-15-2002, 12:59 AM
IMXCITD
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 307 Likes on 290 Posts

Default Re: What's the worst thing that's happened to your vette? (Patrick96LT4)

I have seen my dad park his vette behind his big fat bronco and forget it was there :eek: :eek: :eek: ...then back up the bronco..onto the vette.. :cry :cry :cry ....luckily....that fiberglass...even though it looked terrible...popped right back out!!! He got lucky!!!
Old 03-15-2002, 01:29 AM
Steve85
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran

I too, was once distracted while backing down the driveway, hit my Corvette with the Pathfinder. Luckily the Vette was already in need of a new hood and the Pathfinder my dad sold to me for a dollar because the dealer wouldn't give him squat for trade-in.

But the worst thing to happen to my Corvette... the previous owner.
Old 03-15-2002, 01:37 AM
Mr Mojo
Elite Torch Red Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Cental/South NJ Events Coordinator
CI 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 Vet
CI-II Burnout & Drag Champ
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07

Default Re: What's the worst thing that's happened to your vette? (Ski2Tee)

Worst thing that happened to mine was, I became the owner of it!

Burnouts, drag racing, replacing parts, what fun!
Old 03-15-2002, 01:43 AM
Andy1983
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: What's the worst thing that's happened to your vette? (Patrick96LT4)

Can we say.... "White trash" ?

Thats Arlington for ya :lol: (just kidding :cheers: )

I've got one word for you, "paragraphs".

They are free, and make it much easier for the reader. :rolleyes:
Old 03-15-2002, 01:47 AM
moffitt
Burning Brakes

Mine is bad but nothing like yours! I was farting around with the car in the garage and for some reason I had it backed in. I had the hood open and closed the electric garage door. The hood when open is over six feet high, the door on it's swing down approaches only five and a half feet. It hit the hood near the corner (near the place where the hood, fender and door intersect), It left a dime size chip into the structure of the hood. We are not talking about a chip in the paint, it's nearly a crater! It goes to the body shop Tuesday to be repaired.
I have not had a date in so long, I would consider your date great! Except maybe for the car thing, I hate changing head gaskets!
Old 03-15-2002, 02:54 AM
Jeffvette
Race Director

Letting my ex gf ride in the car with me....... :cuss :U
Old 03-15-2002, 03:43 AM
CrazyBlk86
Intermediate

That story does suck.

The worst thing that I did was decide to sell my first Vette. A mistake I will never make again. But to add insult to injury, this guy I worked with was pretty interested in the car, so I offered him a fair deal, I told him what I wanted for the car, no farting around.

So he wanted to borrow the car for the weekend to show his wife, up at their cottage. After the SOB borrows the car for the weekend, he decides that he doesn`t want to buy it. After putting about 1000 miles on it, and to add insult to injury, he burns out the clutch.

However I learned a valuable lesson, the vette I sold four about 5grand. But what I learned was invaluable. Whenever I sell anything now, it`s full deposit up front, no joyrides.

Trust me, it sorts out the tire kickers.

JMR
Old 03-15-2002, 05:04 AM
pablocruise
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's been hit 5 times,
I closed the hood with the oil fill cap still laying on the TPI plennum.
BTW, please start a " What's the best thing that's......in your Vette" thread too!
Old 03-15-2002, 10:44 AM
Mark 84ltblu
Le Mans Master

SE Ohio Event Coordinator
CI-V Car Show Winner
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Curise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran

Driving toward Gatlinburg last Fall I hit the throttle to avoid some $#@!! idiot who cut me off. The rpm's climbed but the tranny didn't want to downshift. My brother and I are rebuilding the 700R4 this weekend.
Old 03-15-2002, 12:28 PM
Oh My
Pro

Default Re: What's the worst thing that's happened to your vette? (Mark 84ltblu)

A pizza hut delivery driver had his sign fly off his car and nail the front of mine. :boxing
Old 03-15-2002, 12:32 PM
enhance
Burning Brakes

Well lets see.
Shot at, three holes in windsheld.
Hit by lady while parked
Taking off and accelerating to 85 really fast with a cop behind me, him thinking I'm running from him.(step out of the car with your hands in the air)
Washed the engine, damn opti :smash:
ALL happen when I go visit my parents, Needless to say I dont take the vette down to visit anymore.
Old 03-15-2002, 01:07 PM
35th
Drifting

Default Re: What's the worst thing that's happened to your vette? (enhance)

:eek: Yall have some good stories :lol:
Old 03-15-2002, 01:30 PM
Kale
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Re: What's the worst thing that's happened to your vette? (35th)

I blew up a hose "hashing it out" with a mustang too.. wasn't too embarrassing though, I won. :)

I've cooked the car three times, fortunately no damage either time.

First time, lower radiator hose exploded. It was kind of scary, it was the third time I've driven the car. The dashboard was even flickering and going out (I don't know why??)

So I replaced all the hoses i could see.

Then when i beat that mustang, it did it again.. turns out there's hoses you CAN'T See.

Third time my fan died. The engine got HOT, so hot the coolant was bubbling and the overflow tank was actually... pulsating... I'm lucky then too, no damage.

No real horror stories here...

[Modified by Kale, 11:48 AM 3/15/2002]
Old 03-15-2002, 01:38 PM
87 Ragtop
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
CI 3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11 Vet
CI X Blind Auto-X Champ

Default Re: What's the worst thing that's happened to your vette? (35th)

I'm driving along on a nice sunny day with the top off. I come to a red light and a guy in a pick-up truck pulls up beside me. He rolls his window down and says to me "Hey dude, you've got anti-freeze dumping all over the place." I then look down at my dash and the temp reads 295*. No steam from the engine, the little red light was on by the number, no check engine light. ( I later found out when changing some bulbs that the previous owner TOOK OUT the check engine light. ) I drove it to a Firestone hoping it'd be something simple. They find the thermostat was bad and changed it. Sadly though the damage was already done. One of the heads was cracked. Being ignorant to any modifications that could have been done at this time, I let them replace it with original parts. :cry

So to sum it up, three bad things from one event.....

1. Severly overheating the engine and cracking the heads

2. Letting a Firestone do major work on my engine.

3. Not getting any kind of modifications done while the engine was apart.

If I only knew then what I know now :yesnod:

Get notified of new replies

To What's the worst thing that's happened to your vette?

Old 03-15-2002, 01:58 PM
dgoodhue
Safety Car

I an electrical short in my wiring harness from rubbing agianst sloppy factory soldering. I did all the labor myself and had to pull aprt the interior and main wiring harness to find it, but I know I spent 100 hours over 3 years dealing with that one problem.
Old 03-15-2002, 03:18 PM
Lone Ranger
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To answer this is to tempt fate, while simultaneously mocking Murphy's Law :nonod:

At least for those of us slightly superstitious...

[Modified by 95_C4_convertible, 1:18 PM 3/15/2002]
Old 03-15-2002, 06:52 PM
Lexdog
Instructor

Default Re: What's the worst thing that's happened to your vette? (95_C4_convertible)

I pulled up in a fire lane last summer to show off in front of some girls. Get out of the car go to the money machine, get money out get back in the car and my car won't start. Alternator died and battery was drained. Had to wait half an hour for my friend to come give me a jump in her 86 Ford Taurus. How embarrasing opening that big hood in the fire lane to hook up jumper cables!!! To add insult to injury it was 90 degrees outside and I have black leather interior!!! :yesnod: :mad

Quick Reply: What's the worst thing that's happened to your vette?