GM Please Fix The Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 11:20 AM
Sweet 90
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Default GM Please Fix The Corvette

An excerpt
......"But price is only part of the Corvette's demise. The sports car's image is another issue.
Maybe it was all those butt-ugly Indy pace car editions over the years, or maybe it's the chrome wheels on the ZR1,
but the Corvette's image is now more hillbilly than Beverly Hills, more Vegas than Victory Lane...............................

..........Come on GM, give us a Corvette we the people want today, not the Corvette you thought we wanted in 1989."

Now the rest of the story.............
http://blogs.insideline.com/straight...ette.html#more

Well?????
Old 04-23-2010, 11:35 AM
Relic
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Times change. The author makes good points. My 27 year old son would much rather have a GT-R, or even a 370Z than a Vette.

GM is big and unresponsive, who knew?

Now that GM is controlled mainly by the government and the UAW, I don't expect much from them.

And it doesn't stop me from enjoying my Corvette.

Oh, and this is just funny:

And now to make matters worse, there's the Corvette Grand Sport, a new model recently reviewed by the great Dan Pund on this very Web site. It's basically a standard Vette that looks like a Z06. Market research must have showed GM's product planners that there's an untapped poser market. A big block of gold chainers clamoring for a slower, cheaper, inauthentic version of the Z06.

Last edited by Relic; 04-23-2010 at 11:38 AM.
Old 04-23-2010, 11:42 AM
socalman
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

my new motto- 'opinions are like aszholes-those that spew them usually are'

and here I go being one

First, the Infiniti, Lexus and Beamers this guy babbles about are 'chick' cars. He says
'guys want this, guys want that'. All I see driving these in and around 'Beverly Hills' (greater LA area) are women.

2nd- I'd rather be a hillbilly than Beverly Hills (gag).

3rd- I don't want 22 year olds owning a New Vette. I'm glad it's $50k to own one. What the writer fails to get, is the Vette is 70% MORE affordable now, with lots more power, refinement etc. than they were 20 years ago when I was in my 20s. (do the inflation numbers on all other cars. 50-70% higher than in 1992.

Ok, I'm done
Old 04-23-2010, 11:47 AM
RetiredSFC 97
Team Owner

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10, '14

One person's point of view.

expensive? yes but a new PU truck is the in the high 30 to 40 range as well. All vehicles are overpriced due to labor costs, and government intrusion. What I see is there is a large market growing for the BMW's and Mercedez. It's that European thing, "well if the europeans like it, it must be cool". BFD

So move your *** to Europe and buy all you want, live like they do and stay the hell out my life.

I'll take my American made cars and they can have their POS European and oriental cars. If you don't want it, that leaves more for me.

Now then back to what kind of gas we use in our vettes, or Carfaxes.

I have my new vette watch, my T shirt is on the way and i'm asking my wife for a gold chain for christmas, so screw him. I may just get me some ambient lighting and grow a mullet.

Last edited by RetiredSFC 97; 04-23-2010 at 11:49 AM.
Old 04-23-2010, 11:50 AM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

What an idiot!! If you don't like it don't buy it. He is a douche bag.
Old 04-23-2010, 11:53 AM
shakedown067
Le Mans Master

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

That article is pure crap. The corvette isn't unobtainable due to cost, it's unobtainable because people under 40 are making MUCH less than those the same age twenty years ago. People are living longer and needing to work longer, not to mention the average college debt is over $20,000 and many more are way over that. How can you buy a nice car when just your college debt is half the cost or the same cost as a corvette?
Old 04-23-2010, 11:54 AM
earthquake68
Drifting

I just heard today GM bought itself back. They paid off the government loan five years ahead of schedule. I guess the new Camaro had alot to do with that.

The newer Corvettes will out perform a vast amount of the stockers out there. I don't personally like the C-6's, but to each there own. I sure wouldn't turn one down if someone offered it to me. It sounds like scorn and jealousy talking to me. The Corvette has long been a favorite car of critics to bash. I say, take it all with a grain of salt. If you like it, that's all that matters. ....isn't it?
Old 04-23-2010, 11:59 AM
RetiredSFC 97
Team Owner

Originally Posted by shakedown067
That article is pure crap. The corvette isn't unobtainable due to cost, it's unobtainable because people under 40 are making MUCH less than those the same age twenty years ago. People are living longer and needing to work longer, not to mention the average college debt is over $20,000 and many more are way over that. How can you buy a nice car when just your college debt is half the cost or the same cost as a corvette?
You bout nailed it.

Vettes were almost always for those who could afford more expensive things. yeah we talk about that C2 we bought for 3200 bucks in 1967, but 3200 bucks in 67 was a ton of money.

And people nowadays HAVE to wait until they are older to be able to afford one as a toy, as most of these are. At 30 years old, only a very few can afford to garage queen something. 2 seats doesn't make for a family car when you have to pay over 20K for a car that will hold and haul your young family. And you generally have to have two cars to commute to work. Vettes come later in life.

the european cars are more family friendly but they ARE NOT A VETTE. No matter what lipstick you put on that pig.
Old 04-23-2010, 11:59 AM
RetiredSFC 97
Team Owner

Originally Posted by earthquake68
I just heard today GM bought itself back. They paid off the government loan five years ahead of schedule. I guess the new Camaro had alot to do with that.
The newer Corvettes will out perform a vast amount of the stockers out there. I don't personally like the C-6's, but to each there own. I sure wouldn't turn one down if someone offered it to me. It sounds like scorn and jealousy talking to me. The Corvette has long been a favorite car of critics to bash. I say, take it all with a grain of salt. If you like it, that's all that matters. ....isn't it?

not trying to be a SA but you may wish to do some more research on that one.
Old 04-23-2010, 12:02 PM
Frizlefrak
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

No reason for me to add my pawprint when the guys above stated my thoughts so eloquently already.

Most writers aren't car guys....they're writers....and they don't know their *** from a tailpipe.....and it shows.
Old 04-23-2010, 12:11 PM
earthquake68
Drifting

Originally Posted by RetiredSFC 97
not trying to be a SA but you may wish to do some more research on that one.
My research was a GM commercial spotted today on the local news channel at around 8:00 AM central time claiming this very statement. I was just relaying what I saw advertised on the TV by GM. If it's wrong, don't blame me.
Old 04-23-2010, 12:16 PM
Frizlefrak
Race Director

Maybe we should read between the commercial's lines....

http://www.istockanalyst.com/article...icleid/4056258
Old 04-23-2010, 12:24 PM
earthquake68
Drifting

Woops. I guess I fall into the group, "too stupid to find out what's really going on". Well, that's embarrassing. Thanks for the update. It did seem a little too fantastic when I heard it. ....but hey, it was on TV, right?

I'm gonna play the, "I've been in the desert for three months and don't know what's been happening in the real world" card.

.......maybe I can save some of my dignity that way.
Old 04-23-2010, 12:24 PM
RollaMo-LT4
Race Director

Received 142 Likes on 117 Posts
2021 C4 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Originally Posted by Frizlefrak

Most writers aren't car guys....they're writers....and they don't know their *** from a tailpipe.....and it shows.
Yep, that pretty much sums it up.
Old 04-23-2010, 12:28 PM
RetiredSFC 97
Team Owner

Originally Posted by earthquake68
Woops. I guess I fall into the group, "too stupid to find out what's really going on". Well, that's embarrassing. Thanks for the update. It did seem a little too fantastic when I heard it. ....but hey, it was on TV, right?

I'm gonna play the, "I've been in the desert for three months and don't know what's been happening in the real world" card.

.......maybe I can save some of my dignity that way.
anyone who goes to the sandbox for 3 months gets a get out of jail free card.
Old 04-23-2010, 12:35 PM
F22
Le Mans Master

Received 280 Likes on 214 Posts

The comments are especially interesting. Quite a few lining up on one side or the other. On our side, the passion is heavy and that is a good thing. If you're driving a Infinity or Lexus or some other blah bubble mobile, what fun is there in that? They look nearly the same as their lower priced Nissan and Toyota counterparts. No legacy their, unless it's a legacy of butt-boring cars that just do their job.

The guy who wrote the article forgets the main fact about the Corvette: It is a solidly American Icon that is ALWAYS recognizable, no matter what year it is. A 'Vette is a 'Vette and nothing else. While an Infinity G35 coupe is a reworked something or other and in ten years will just be another boring car.
Old 04-23-2010, 12:38 PM
Frizlefrak
Race Director

With few exceptions, most import nameplates are appliances. They do a great job at their intended purpose, but they have no soul.

How often do you see Lexus owners get together for a lunch cruise?

Get notified of new replies

To GM Please Fix The Corvette

Old 04-23-2010, 12:49 PM
mike100
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

The blog has a few valid points...and maybe a few others you could counter with argument.

The corvette did start sucking sometime in ,for me, 90's. It was too expensive(for me) and fell short on performance a little. I did not even care about the vette until the 7 liter Z06 came out. I got my 2008 for basically $40k at firesale discount which was
1) a pretty fast car for the money (finally a solid low 12 second sports car)
2) well under the sticker price $50k, which I would not spend pretty much no matter what- I did not have to buy used.

also the new grand sport is a poser car that costs waaaay too much- may as well get the zo6, but marketing proves that a large percentage of buyers are the goldchain type of driver who needs to be seen rather than go fast (removable top).
Old 04-23-2010, 12:50 PM
RetiredSFC 97
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Frizlefrak
With few exceptions, most import nameplates are appliances. They do a great job at their intended purpose, but they have no soul.

How often do you see Lexus owners get together for a lunch cruise?
My wife has a Camry. I seldom drive it or even ride in it for that matter, but it's like getting on the bus. Can't wait to get where I'm going. It takes all the adventure, and fun, out of the drive.

Now then. You and Marco might as well join me and RollaMoLT4 on the Hotrod power tour. That's what having these cars is all about.
Old 04-23-2010, 12:52 PM
jhammons01
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

And the writer refuses to accept the fact that once the Ricers get their G32....the first thing they do......The first thing they do is go find a Corvette to rev next to.

Here in Ricer Haven of Socal and Orange County....I get it all the time....and I'm cruising a Crossfire!!!

So please, the writer is full of himself.

This is a typical attempt to elevate ones self by measuring up against a much greater opponent....sadly there is no David and Goliath found in that article.

Quick Reply: GM Please Fix The Corvette