C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

GM Please Fix The Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 12:57 PM
mike100
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Another thought...

my old man had a 2003 C5 with the base 350 hp LS1 that he bought for fun. He pulled of an acceleration run and I was really underwhelmed. maybe it wasbecause we were in vegas at 2200 ft altitude, but I had just had a ride in an E39 BMW M5 a couple of weeks before and was not impressed by the c5 at all. I even couldn't be nice about it and told him that a bmw 5 series would blow his vette away. Not long after that (a couple of model years), he got a C6 Z06- now that was an impressive ride. The C5 squeaked inside with only 10k miles on it.

I'm glad people punish GM with diminishing market share which has forced them to really improve the product. The C6 is much nicer, even if the blogger isn't satisfied.
Old 04-23-2010, 12:59 PM
shakedown067
Le Mans Master

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

I tired to register to respond to the blog, but there mysteriously was an error. Oh well, wasn't worth the effort anyway.
Old 04-23-2010, 01:18 PM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

I watched a show the other day where they a Shelby Cobra 427 for $1.1 mil ..I bet the interior in that thing could rival the uros
I could care less if the interior is pretty.
Old 04-23-2010, 01:22 PM
rainsux89
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The wannabe elitists have been saying the Vette (and F-body) is "hillbilly" for years.
Old 04-23-2010, 01:25 PM
ps374
Melting Slicks

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Since the beginning Corvettes have always been expensive. To compare the G35 ( A rebadged Z car ) with a Corvette is like Nissan (Datsun) did some 30 years ago when the younger crowd was buying 260 and 280 and 300 Z cars almost as expensive as a C3. So where are those Zs now. Gone. No one really cared. Sure they had female voices telling you to put your seat belt on, and they were suppose to be Nissan (Datsun) reliable. But what they did not tell you was that they would rust to bits in a few years and have no real resale value. Those C3s so many were turning away from to buy Japan will now bring at least $10,000. Why is that? Because people still dream about owning a Corvette. Most red blooded American kids do. BMWs are good cars I am sure. Over priced like Porsche and the rest of the German stuff. Remember the 944s and the 928s? Where are they? Seen any lately in someone garage just being saved because the owner knows its something special. That its some kids dream ride that they always dreamed of when they were in High School. I have been around since the C1s were first on the road and as a kid my whole life I always dreamed of owning one. So I bought a C4 because price was out of the ball park for me. But that same unexplainable feeling is in every Corvette. Yep they are loud, ride ruff, have issues with reliablety. But no Nissan (GT4 Include in its Zcar glorfied body), Porsche, BMW has that mysery feel the Corvette has.They never had it and they never will.
Old 04-23-2010, 01:30 PM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by ps374
Since the beginning Corvettes have always been expensive. To compare the G35 ( A rebadged Z car ) with a Corvette is like Nissan (Datsun) did some 30 years ago when the younger crowd was buying 260 and 280 and 300 Z cars almost as expensive as a C3. So where are those Zs now. Gone. No one really cared. Sure they had female voices telling you to put your seat belt on, and they were suppose to be Nissan (Datsun) reliable. But what they did not tell you was that they would rust to bits in a few years and have no real resale value. Those C3s so many were turning away from to buy Japan will now bring at least $10,000. Why is that? Because people still dream about owning a Corvette. Most red blooded American kids do. BMWs are good cars I am sure. Over priced like Porsche and the rest of the German stuff. Remember the 944s and the 928s? Where are they? Seen any lately in someone garage just being saved because the owner knows its something special. That its some kids dream ride that they always dreamed of when they were in High School. I have been around since the C1s were first on the road and as a kid my whole life I always dreamed of owning one. So I bought a C4 because price was out of the ball park for me. But that same unexplainable feeling is in every Corvette. Yep they are loud, ride ruff, have issues with reliablety. But no Nissan (GT4 Include in its Zcar glorfied body), Porsche, BMW has that mysery feel the Corvette has.They never had it and they never will.
I work for the school district and when I drive my car around I get compliments from the kids all day long .. they are definitely interested in the vettes.
Old 04-23-2010, 01:39 PM
SunCr
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

The average age of a new Vette owner is 54 meaning I'm too old to buy a new one (but too young for a Buick) and all of the youngster's with C4's have to wait awhile. That gives them a fair chance to learn and appreciate all of the engineering that didn't make it into these cars prepping them for C6 ownership (see below).

Consumer's Report gave the C6 it's worst reliability rating, but because a non running car isn't unsafe, they didn't give it the "you're an idiot if you buy this" rating they gave the Lexus SUV.

Most of the 20 something college grads I knew were making 5 to 6 times more than I did at my first job. Out here, they were buying Beemers and condos they couldn't afford. They're now living back at home and used/repopped Beemers are deeply discounted. People my age were buying Lexus, Infiniti or Mercedes and using Valet at the racetrack. They were also buying homes they couldn't afford. There is hope upon hope that their children get re-employed so that they have some means of getting back into the trailer park.

I retired at 50 but plan to go back to work at 62 having fully enjoyed and blown my pension on everything but the Vette and I have no intention of letting a new (or used anything) suck what it can out of me (I thought that ended with a boat, but then I bought a Vette).

If there's a market out there for a Vette, I don't know what it is and I don't think GM knows either, but they need to figure it out or the car dies.
Old 04-23-2010, 01:41 PM
RedLS1GTO
Race Director

Received 42 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mike100
Another thought...

my old man had a 2003 C5 with the base 350 hp LS1 that he bought for fun. He pulled of an acceleration run and I was really underwhelmed. maybe it wasbecause we were in vegas at 2200 ft altitude, but I had just had a ride in an E39 BMW M5 a couple of weeks before and was not impressed by the c5 at all. I even couldn't be nice about it and told him that a bmw 5 series would blow his vette away. Not long after that (a couple of model years), he got a C6 Z06- now that was an impressive ride. The C5 squeaked inside with only 10k miles on it.

I'm glad people punish GM with diminishing market share which has forced them to really improve the product. The C6 is much nicer, even if the blogger isn't satisfied.
You are comparing a base C5 to a C6Z and an M5? WTF does that prove? You are comparing a $44,000 car (when new) to a $70,000+ car in the Z06 and a $80,000+ car in the M5. I sure as **** hope that they were better.
Old 04-23-2010, 01:59 PM
mike100
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by RedLS1GTO
You are comparing a base C5 to a C6Z and an M5? WTF does that prove? You are comparing a $44,000 car (when new) to a $70,000+ car in the Z06 and a $80,000+ car in the M5. I sure as **** hope that they were better.
My old man could have afforded anything,he was just trying to save money. Half assed base model power was not in his league. His last c4 was faster (it was a ZR-1).

point being that he could have bought the C5 Z06, but he didn't feel that corvette was worth $50k...which kind of proves the original point of this subject. Perhaps the BMW was worth $80k, but the Vette wasn't worth what they were asking.

It has been awhile since I wasn't impressed by an expensive car, and the C5 was kind of dull (at least the one he had).
Old 04-23-2010, 02:01 PM
socalman
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by mike100
Another thought...

my old man had a 2003 C5 with the base 350 hp LS1 that he bought for fun. He pulled of an acceleration run and I was really underwhelmed. maybe it wasbecause we were in vegas at 2200 ft altitude, but I had just had a ride in an E39 BMW M5 a couple of weeks before and was not impressed by the c5 at all. I even couldn't be nice about it and told him that a bmw 5 series would blow his vette away. .
Either the C5 wasn't running right? is it an Auto?

But, to be fair and accurate- both cars are high 4's in the 0-60 and both have similar 1/4 mile times (13.2 ish) (C5 6 spd).

I'd consider that a major let down if I plunked $70000 on a 400 hp E39 M5 to find a $40k 350 LS1 does just as well.

Compare that M5 to a C5Z and you'll be staring at 4 ovals.

Compare any other E39 (5 series, non M5 as you stated) to the Base LS1 6 spd and you'll still be staring at 4 ovals.
Old 04-23-2010, 02:26 PM
RetiredSFC 97
Team Owner

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10, '14

Originally Posted by ps374

^ he gets it and understands.
Old 04-23-2010, 02:28 PM
RetiredSFC 97
Team Owner

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10, '14

As a side note. Did anyone else notice the pink font in Sweet90's OP.

have we found sheri?
Old 04-23-2010, 02:37 PM
Wathen1955
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RetiredSFC 97
As a side note. Did anyone else notice the pink font in Sweet90's OP.

have we found sheri?
or is it a transformation?
Old 04-23-2010, 02:44 PM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Received 260 Likes on 239 Posts

This is getting good.
Old 04-23-2010, 03:05 PM
j-vette
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by socalman
my new motto- 'opinions are like aszholes-those that spew them usually are'
Old 04-23-2010, 03:16 PM
Red Dragon On DL
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My perspective from being mostly a german/import car performance guy. This is my first Vette. Honestly in my part of the country the first thing people ask me when I tell them I just got a Vette is " are you going red neck on us". I think these cars are only worth what people are willing to pay and not many are falling over them selves to buy one. I will agree that the Corvette of the 60's did not have the forgein compition it has now. To me its really not until the C5 is when they woke up a little at GM.

Vetts dont have as much glorey to the kids these days. Its about flash, MPG, price, & brand rec & location in the US. I would not go as far to say that a G35 is junk. They are great cars for what they sell for & are not a competing $ car to the Vette. Keep in mind the G37 makes 333 HP out of a V6. All the german cars ive had are built like tanks. Never a rattle but can be maint happy, the Vette leaves me dissapointed in the quality area but has alot of performance for cheap money.

The C6's are great & at $55k new not much out performs it. Times are changing though & the newer generation has grown up with alot of options. Is much of the public under 50 going to buy C6's?

1991 - C4 - 6SP - 383
Full Roller/TPIS Intake Man/58mm BBK/Hooker Comps/30lb Inj/TF 23 Heads/Griffin Rad/Oil Cooler/Mystery Cam

2000 -Audi S4 - 6SP - Daily

Last edited by Red Dragon On DL; 04-23-2010 at 03:19 PM.
Old 04-23-2010, 03:29 PM
Mrs. glass car
Melting Slicks

This guy has been around bashing corvettes forever. When I bought my new corvette in 64' there were people just like him ragging on about how much better the cobra, e-jag, 356 porsche, avanti, even the sunbeam tiger, were than the vette... faster, more refined, on and on better than the vette. Basically if you bought a vette you had no class. Well I have been classless and clueless all of my life and I'm too obtuse to worry much about it.

Get notified of new replies

To GM Please Fix The Corvette

Old 04-23-2010, 04:00 PM
CRUZN C4
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Is the author related to Jeremy Crarkson by any chance?
Old 04-23-2010, 04:03 PM
RLG
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been fortunate in life to own 2 new Corvettes. My 1978 L82' sticker price was $11,078.00 and that's what I paid. My 1979 L82 4 speed car was $14,735.00 and that was sticker price. I was 26 when I bought the 78.

That was a lot of money for a car back then and to own one was a statement that you were doing pretty well. You had to have good credit back then to be able to get a loan for that much money. Cars loans were only 36 months.

So I guess I come down in the camp of "I don't really want the Corvette to be that easy to buy".
Old 04-23-2010, 04:29 PM
Pwnage1337
Tech Contributor

Received 188 Likes on 141 Posts

Makes me glad to own a C4.

Quick Reply: GM Please Fix The Corvette