Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

How was your FIRST experiance driving a vette?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 04:51 PM
96_vette
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How was your FIRST experiance driving a vette?

How was your very first experiance driving a vette? I remember my first experiance when i test drove a C4 LT1. I eventually bought that car! I was NOT ready for the power, torque and handling the C4 offerd! So, how was your first experiance behind the wheel?
Old 04-03-2010, 05:41 PM
Jamie Lennartson
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

Well i had a big family car before it so it was quite diffrent...
Getting my theeth knocked out and barely touching the wheel and changeing lanes!
Old 04-03-2010, 06:26 PM
my86corvette
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was 15. I learned to drive a stick in my brother's '62 Corvette. It was like driving a truck, but it was cooool!
Old 04-03-2010, 06:34 PM
dogfish246
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Here is a good story!

My Dad and I were looking for a car for me because I did really well in school and got into a great University (I also drove a 92 Cadillac Deville which was awesome but some kid blew a stop sign and nailed me!) and we looked at all different cars. My Dad is a huge Corvette fan but I told him I didnt want a Vette. I had my sights set on the Chrysler Crossfire. I loved how different that car was and the spoiler that went up at 55mph! We must have looked at 15 of them and they were all crap. We also looked at mustangs, eclipses, 350zs, and pretty much any sports car in that range. Then one day on the way home my Dad saw a Black 96 on the side of the road at a dealership (rt 88 Lakewood, NJ) and he jammed on the brakes and said to run inside and ask the guy how much.
I told him I didnt really want a Vette and he told me to shut up and go speak to the sales man. After talking I told my dad the price and the salesman came out with the key. He told my dad we could take it for a drive, but my Dad could only drive it. My dad said it was for me and the guy said, "just dont let me see the kid driving it". The salesman then ran to the Vette, quickly started her up and took off. When he returned the car was obviously put through the car wash, but whatever, lets just test drive it. I immediately noticed how nice the 96 C4 was. The narrow foot wells, the high door sills, etc, it felt like a race car!!!!
So, my Dad took it out and we started driving it, then some moron cut us off and jammed on the brakes so my dad got upset and punched it! This car was an auto so it dropped one gear and I was like wow nice pickup and then it suddenly dropped another gear and well the car got sideways around the car that just cut us off! I was able to see the guys face in the car that cut us off and he must have wet himself ! So the ASR took control and we were fine, but the smiles on our face were huge!
There is a minor league baseball stadium right down the road so we brought it there so I could drive it a little. When we got there my dad got out of the car opened the hood and we did our inspection of everything! I could not wait to drive it. He said he wanted to drive the car a little more so we got in and without warning my Dad hit the gas. It was a huge parking lot and the tires chirped in second gear! I was thrown back into my seat , struggling to find something to grab onto! It was soooooo much fun. We did that, tested the brakes, turning radius etc.
Now it was my turn to drive!
I preceded slowly and carefully gauged whether or not I like the Vette and obviously I loved it. It was going to be my daily driver to and from College so...
Right before we switched seats again for the ride back my dad said to let the car roll and then hit the gas. I listened and I was hooked! From there on I knew I what I wanted! Mustangs and Crossfires were not even a thought after driving a Vette! From there on my Dad got me hooked and we searched and searched for another 96. Now I have my 96 and could not be happier!!!!
Old 04-03-2010, 06:57 PM
joesgulfstream
Drifting

That is some Dad you have. Don't ever forget what you have " A Great Dad " Dogfish246
Old 04-03-2010, 07:07 PM
beadist
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '10-'11

It was my boyfriends' 1970 4 speed red convertible with a white top. I was 16. (It was not 1970, so put the calculators away...) Drove it quite often, he was good about sharing and I'm a good driver. 2 Years later we broke up. Fast forward 4-5 years....my baby sister, the same one we used to pick up from elementary school in the vette, meets up with him and starts dating him. They both come to live with me in Ft. Lauderdale...and bring the vette.

I had full access to it till 1985 when they moved. We all still miss that car, but I have my sweet 96 now, and I'm not sharing.....unless he lets me play with the 911.....
Old 04-03-2010, 07:15 PM
dogfish246
Safety Car

Originally Posted by joesgulfstream
That is some Dad you have. Don't ever forget what you have " A Great Dad " Dogfish246
Dont worry I wont! My parents are GREAT! I love them with all my heart! They raised me better than I could have ever asked for!!!

Get this, my Dad has always dreamed of getting a Vette and when he got it, he gave it to me! He says that he is living his dream whenever I get to enjoy driving the Vette!!!
Old 04-03-2010, 07:21 PM
pearlvett
Racer

Well heres my story. First car age 16: My parents had built me a 1988 mustang gt vert. and it was completely custom not another one like it! My dad personally put around 70 hours of labor into it. It had a custom paint job and custom interior to mach the red and white color scheme. Well on my way to work one day a guy ran a stop sign and i t-boned him so that was the end of that... Second car age 17: Then with the insurance money I bought a 1989 mustang gt hatch back and it was FAST!! Had a completely forged and built 302 with an e303 cam and built heads. I loved that car to death and i smoked plenty of vettes in it in the quarter. My dad took it to work one day and came back home handed me $10k and said "i sold your car." Needless to say i was kind of upset... 3rd car age 17: I was set on another mustang because i had come to love them. My dad suggested i look at vettes so i did a little but didnt really want one. Well we looked at atleast a million mustangs and i just couldnt find one that i liked. So one day my dad said get in the car i want to show you a car (note it was 7pm) so we drive to a bill millers in down town san antonio and he calls someone and tells them that we are there. A few minutes later a guy in a pearl white 1985 c4 corvette pulls up next to us and that was it! I instantly fell in love! I got to drive it after we finished paying for it and signing the title and stuff and let me tell you it was awesome. I have had my vette for 2 years now. Thats my story and i will say i love my vette and my dad who is awesome!
Old 04-03-2010, 07:31 PM
RetiredSFC 97
Team Owner

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10, '14

My 90 was the first vette I ever drove. basically I thought it was louder than what I expected. It was, the exhaust was shot. I thought it rode better than I expected and it does. I expected a sportscar drive and that's what it is.

I thought it was quick, but not as quick as I expected. I thought it handled like a dream and it does.

I have had many cars in my life and the vette was a natural progression for me so the quickness wasn't what I thought it should be or what I expectd.

That was until I took it to the highway and while cruising at about sixty I nailed it. In the blink of an eye I looked down and hit 100 and IIRC the words were SOB.

So after almost wetting myself I noticed this big grin on my face and I yelled out Hell yeah.
Old 04-03-2010, 07:33 PM
dogfish246
Safety Car

Originally Posted by RetiredSFC 97

That was until I took it to the highway and while cruising at about sixty I nailed it. In the blink of an eye I looked down and hit 100 and IIRC the words were SOB.

So after almost wetting myself I noticed this big grin on my face and I yelled out Hell yeah.
I think thats everyones reaction and why we are all hooked on Vettes! The smile never goes away (so I hear)!!!
Old 04-03-2010, 07:36 PM
RetiredSFC 97
Team Owner

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10, '14

Originally Posted by dogfish246
I think thats everyones reaction and why we are all hooked on Vettes! The smile never goes away (so I hear)!!!

I know. Sitting here reading this thread makes me want to go for drive. It was a nice day so I cleaned and waxed the STS and I'm pretty grubby right now.

I will tomorrow.
Old 04-03-2010, 07:48 PM
dogfish246
Safety Car

Originally Posted by RetiredSFC 97

I know. Sitting here reading this thread makes me want to go for drive. It was a nice day so I cleaned and waxed the STS and I'm pretty grubby right now.

I will tomorrow.
My dad asked me to take the Van to pick up some stuff from Pepboys for him, I told him I will use my car and he was like "are you sure" so I got out and when I got back he was like, "what took soo long"

This weather is great! Enjoy!!!!
Old 04-03-2010, 07:51 PM
joesgulfstream
Drifting

I worked as a lot boy at a local Chevy dealer when I 16 till graduation I learned how to drive stick on brand new Vettes, Camaros, Chevells anything from 283 to 427's Oh I forgot that was in 1967,1968 and 1969. I even rubbed a new Vette against a fence.
Old 04-03-2010, 07:57 PM
rocco16
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 131 Posts

First Vette I drove, I bought. Still have it.

Larry
Old 04-03-2010, 08:31 PM
dreamer2468
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

I was around 23 and our landlord called me and said Laura, I need you to come up to the front house (where they live) and show you something.

I walked up the driveway and there sat the most beautiful C3 I had ever seen. It was brand spanking new off the showroom floor.

His son who was married and had two children had just bought it on a whim.

I oooed and awed over it for about 15 minutes and he told me to go ahead and sit in it, and when I got out, I was thinking to myself wow, what a dream car.

As I was standing there listening to him talk to his dad about it, he and his dad kept looking over at me.

All of a sudden Donnie starts walking towards me, puts his hand in his pocket, pulls out the keys and tosses them to me.

I just stood there with what I am sure total shock on my face as he says, take it for a spin Laura. I argued there is no way I want to be responsible if something were to happen.

He says I am in no way concerned, as we have known each other for a long time and I trust you.

It didnt take me long to cave in and take him up on his offer.

I went back to my house and got my license and went up and got in the car and just sat in it and soaked it all in, loving the new car smell, and the sound when it first started.

I started out slow, as he had warned me that it was a lot more powerful then any car I had ever driven, so I did as instructed, at least at first.

Once I got comfortable, I punched it a little, and it immediately responded.

That is when I enjoyed my first "Corvette grin".

After I had driven it down the lane, I took it out on the main highway, not really all that well traveled that time of day and really gave it the gas then.

OMG, I thought for sure I had died and gone to heaven.

I swore then that somehow, someday I would have one of my own, and now here I am, years later, with my wish has been granted.
Old 04-03-2010, 08:41 PM
96_vette
Racer

Originally Posted by dreamer2468
I was around 23 and our landlord called me and said Laura, I need you to come up to the front house (where they live) and show you something.

I walked up the driveway and there sat the most beautiful C3 I had ever seen. It was brand spanking new off the showroom floor.

His son who was married and had two children had just bought it on a whim.

I oooed and awed over it for about 15 minutes and he told me to go ahead and sit in it, and when I got out, I was thinking to myself wow, what a dream car.

As I was standing there listening to him talk to his dad about it, he and his dad kept looking over at me.

All of a sudden Donnie starts walking towards me, puts his hand in his pocket, pulls out the keys and tosses them to me.

I just stood there with what I am sure total shock on my face as he says, take it for a spin Laura. I argued there is no way I want to be responsible if something were to happen.

He says I am in no way concerned, as we have known each other for a long time and I trust you.

It didnt take me long to cave in and take him up on his offer.

I went back to my house and got my license and went up and got in the car and just sat in it and soaked it all in, loving the new car smell, and the sound when it first started.

I started out slow, as he had warned me that it was a lot more powerful then any car I had ever driven, so I did as instructed, at least at first.

Once I got comfortable, I punched it a little, and it immediately responded.

That is when I enjoyed my first "Corvette grin".

After I had driven it down the lane, I took it out on the main highway, not really all that well traveled that time of day and really gave it the gas then.

OMG, I thought for sure I had died and gone to heaven.

I swore then that somehow, someday I would have one of my own, and now here I am, years later, with my wish has been granted.

Nice!
Old 04-03-2010, 09:07 PM
rlomax
Instructor

I had had a bunch of sports cars over the years, including a couple of Mustang GTs, but never a Vette. Bought a 68 Porsche 911 about 3 years ago and absolutely hated it (no power, no performance, no conveniences, basically a hopped up VW Bug). After having the 911 for only 2 weeks I looked around to trade it in. Went to a local used car dealer and first drove a Chevy SSR (always thought they were cool) and then a 95 Vette. That was the first time I had ever driven one. Done deal as I totally loved it. Had it for 3 years now and recently bought a 69 Vette (having these two Vettes is best of both worlds). Nothing beats the Vette life!

Get notified of new replies

To How was your FIRST experiance driving a vette?

Old 04-03-2010, 10:09 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

73 Stingray. Was disappointed at the lack of power, it was a turd. Took some getting used to as far as everything else but it looked cool. More I found out about the C3 susp wheel bearings/steering stuff I got turned off to it and sold it. Bought it for my brother anyway who, in the end couldnt pick it up due to a loser of a wife.

89 drove about like I expected, knew the TPI wasnt a performance motor, just a cruiser so it did that Ok. Worlds better driving than the C3 just didnt look as neat.

Drove the 90ZR1 and liked it more, actually had some power. Not enough but it kept me entertained for awhile.

Came to the conclusion I need somethign older pre smog to build so Im happy, looks arent enough. I want something to scare the crap outta me and Vettes just arent doing it. With that said its best I sold them as I love taking turns hard. Betting the bank I woulda put the Z over a cliff or totaled it by now just cant take turns slow and these cars are NOT forgiving when they finally let go, youre just along for the ride. Had some near misses that when I think back I still get
Old 04-03-2010, 11:33 PM
Railroadman
Team Owner

Received 5,011 Likes on 2,529 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Age 18 and I was second in line to buy a friend's GTO out of state. Meantime I went to look at a '59 Vette. I think the seller took me for a ride, can't recall. The GTO got sold 1 hour before it was mine to the guy first in line so I bought the Vette that night and had a friend drive it home for me.

The next day I set out to learn - HOW TO DRIVE A STICK SHIFT!! I stalled it, I kicked gravel and stalled it, I chirped rubber and stalled it, I revved it to about 2500 and took about 30 seconds to SLOWLY let the clutch out - to anyone watching it must have been quite a show!

Over the next few days I did manage - with help from my mother and a couple buddies - to get to where I could drive it without too much embarrassment. My Dad had the luck to work days so he got out of teaching "stick shift school".

So I guess I can't really recall too much of the first drive, because I was too busy trying to learn how to drive the damn thing!
Old 04-03-2010, 11:49 PM
Hideki
Racer

My dad had a '79 silver C3 and I loved riding in it, looking down the hood and seeing the huge fenders it was the coolest car. I got mine not only because how much I loved riding in his C3, but in Japan they tune these machines like your run-of-the-mill Supra, 300zx, RX7 and they're just amazing setup like that albeit not everyone's cup of tea

Quick Reply: How was your FIRST experiance driving a vette?