C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Going to get a C4. Vert vs Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 08:42 PM
ctsga
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Going to get a C4. Vert vs Coupe

Hi, I'm in the market for a C4. Sort of leaning towards a 90 because some are in my price range and my wife likes the interior plus they have air bags.

I like the Atari, but some times we have to compromise...

I haven't driven a convertable yet and was wondering how the rear visibility is.

Any issues I may not have considered?

I sort of consider myself a member of the Vette club because my DD is an LS6 CTS-V...
Old 03-22-2010, 08:45 PM
Jamie Lennartson
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by ctsga
Hi, I'm in the market for a C4. Sort of leaning towards a 90 because some are in my price range and my wife likes the interior plus they have air bags.

I haven't driven a convertable yet and was wondering how the rear visibility is.

I sort of consider myself a member of the Vette club because my DD is an LS6 CTS-V...
Only difference i know of off hand is the targa top is going to handel better then the vert.
Other then that i dont think there is much difference at all.
Old 03-22-2010, 08:50 PM
NMsharkracer
Drifting

Location: Formerly from the Great White North but now residing in the Desert Southwest NM (The Land of Dis-Enchantment?)
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Regarding a convertible. Visibility with the top up is somewhat limited...top down, no problem. The vert is a bit more flexible but no problem for just cruising. Storage. Tell your wife to pack light...VERY light.
Old 03-22-2010, 08:54 PM
Vette73
LS/MFT
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12

1. It has one air bag, but don't volunteer this to the SO unless specifically asked.
2. If it's not a drop-top, why bother?
3. Look for one with a hard top (factory HT!).
4. Round tail lights. Last year until 2006.
5. That is all.
Old 03-22-2010, 09:04 PM
plmkrzy
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Vert is my choice, but if you are going to travel with the top down, you can't take much more than a change of underware. Actually a little tight in the luggage area.
Old 03-22-2010, 09:06 PM
ctsga
Cruising

Just wondering. With the removable top, can you remove the back glass as well or is that only with the Targa.

I've been trying to figure out how it works.
Old 03-22-2010, 09:06 PM
mike100
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

95 and 96 got the passenger airbag. they lost the glove box though, but added secret armrest smuggling compartments I think.

I'm not the type to pay extra for a vert. so my strategy is to buy as new as you can (which usually means coupe. coupe is stiffer anyhow.
Old 03-22-2010, 09:07 PM
1963SS
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just got a vert and the feel of the sun on the bald spot is quite........warming. There's a bit of cowl shake over really nasty potholes, hell, the first one I hit I thought the body was going to fall off. It rattled, squeaked, shimmied and echoed for about 10 miles. They must be put together well because after 15 years of this pounding, all the bits and pieces are still there. It's a sports car and I wouldn't have it any other way. I like it!! Now I've got to go look under the seat for that filling.
mike100
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Just wondering. With the removable top, can you remove the back glass as well or is that only with the Targa.

the targa top roof stores in a clip in storage spot in back, but the glass hatch stays on.
Jamie Lennartson
Drifting

The hard top comes off they also make a kit that makes it a convert with only the bar above your head.
I dont know the link off hand but im sure somebody here does and will post the link for you.
Old 03-22-2010, 09:17 PM
ctsga
Cruising

Originally Posted by Hokies83
The hard top comes off they also make a kit that makes it a convert with only the bar above your head.
I dont know the link off hand but im sure somebody here does and will post the link for you.
Maybe that's what I've been seeing in some pics.
Old 03-22-2010, 09:35 PM
mszietlow
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mike100
95 and 96 got the passenger airbag. they lost the glove box though, but added secret armrest smuggling compartments I think.

I'm not the type to pay extra for a vert. so my strategy is to buy as new as you can (which usually means coupe. coupe is stiffer anyhow.
I like the coupes. I'd flaunt a vert if I had one, trust me - I'm just not wild about how long the rear end looks when the top is down.

Was 95 the first year they put the passenger airbag in?? I thought it was earlier. I'm not too keen on 'vette history. I'm working on it though
Old 03-22-2010, 09:36 PM
xole
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually 94-96 have dual airbags.

Targa Truss
Old 03-22-2010, 09:37 PM
littlesk8cracker
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

when i was shopping i prefered the convertible but was perfectly fine with a targa. well, i ended up getting the convertible and i wouldnt have it any other way. i almost cant stand driving with it up. i get it down every chance i can. its the only reason i dont want to upgrade to a c5 z06, becuase i now need the drop top
Old 03-22-2010, 09:40 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I owned a 92 'vert for close to 7 years and really enjoyed it. I had bought a hardtop and found it was a great addition to the car in winter and even for autocrossing. The factory hardtop when properly installed, makes the 'vert stiffer than a coupe.

To me the biggest downside to a vert is storage (or lack of it ) especially when the top is down; you lose about 20% of the available storage area. With the hardtop installed not only do you lose the space from the folded top, the rear decklid cannot be opened so the only way into the rear storage area is from behind the seats.

Now having ripped on teh 'vert for storage issues, I did take my 92 across country for the 50th Anniversary Caravan. I drove over 6600 miles and was gone for nearly 3 weeks. Stayed at motels that had laundry facilities and carried only the clothes I needed and were comfortable. Careful packing and small pieces of luggage is the key.

Otherwise, just stop at K-MArt every three days and buy new shorts....
Old 03-22-2010, 09:59 PM
daca
Racer

I have a 94 vert and the lining under the top has given me fits especially if I have the top up and he windows down. However I love driving it with the top down. Just make sure to get yourself a hat if you are like me and and losing hair to keep the sun off.
Old 03-22-2010, 10:49 PM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Received 260 Likes on 239 Posts

I have had both, I sold my coupe for a vert and hardtop. I like the style better, and I like driving roadsters it is a different experience.

Get notified of new replies

To Going to get a C4. Vert vs Coupe

Old 03-22-2010, 11:09 PM
biggrizzly
Melting Slicks

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
2015 C5 of Year Finalist

If racing or track days are in your future the convertible will be a problem unless you install a roll bar.
Old 03-22-2010, 11:14 PM
dogfish246
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

For me a coupe (targa top) is perfect! You have a nice solid roof over your head when you need/want it, and if its a nice day, just take the top off and store it in the back! Its not gonna have the open back feeling that a Vert has but its close enough for me! In general, any Vette will do!
Old 03-22-2010, 11:15 PM
Jamie Lennartson
Drifting

I think he wants the Targa top with the Speedster kit.
I cant find any links for the kit to post pictures for him tho.

Quick Reply: Going to get a C4. Vert vs Coupe