C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

VATS codes

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 05:38 PM
nateb40
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VATS codes

I recently lost the key to my 89 vette and I have called 3 dealerships and Goodwrench to get a new key. Apparently they dont keep that information anymore. would anyone know how to retrieve that information without spending hundreds of dollars on a new cyclinder. I have thought about the VATS bypass but some version require the VATS code. I am trying to get this car up and running but I keep getting stonewalled.
Old 03-17-2010, 12:05 AM
jfb
Team Owner

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Always have a second key you keep at home! Chevy dealers may be able to call up the key type and vats code from your VIN number, but usually C4's are too old, they don't keep this info that long. Some locksmiths can find the vats code and make a key for you. If you at least have an ignition key, you can use a variable resistor and connect it across the wiring harness plug going to the VATS module and set the resistor for each of the 15 codes and try to start the car. Here is a list of the pellet resistor values: https://www.corvetteforum.com/techti...=153&TopicID=2
If you pull the kick panel above the drivers feet you will find two wires coming from above the steering column that go to a 2 pin connector. Unplug the wires and connect your variable resistor across the socket going to the VATS module and begin your 15 tries.
Old 03-17-2010, 12:07 AM
jfb
Team Owner

Originally Posted by jfb
Always have a second key you keep at home! Chevy dealers may be able to call up the key type and vats code from your VIN number, but usually C4's are too old, they don't keep this info that long. Some locksmiths can find the vats code and make a key for you. If you at least have an ignition key, you can use a variable resistor and connect it across the wiring harness plug going to the VATS module and set the resistor for each of the 15 codes and try to start the car. Here is a list of the pellet resistor values: https://www.corvetteforum.com/techti...=153&TopicID=2
If you pull the kick panel above the drivers feet you will find two wires coming from above the steering column that go to a 2 pin connector. Unplug the wires and connect your variable resistor across the socket going to the VATS module and begin your 15 tries.
The resistor values must be within about 4% of the value and this requires an accurate ohmeter. Modern digital VOM's (voltmeter, ohmeter, milliameter) are accurate, more so than analog ohmeters. You can buy a digital meter from Harbor Freight for $8.
Old 03-17-2010, 11:53 AM
erikv79
Advanced

Too bad there's not a smiley for blowing your brains out, because thats what I just went through.
VATS is the most evil gremlin ever devised by GM Engineers, every one should be removed from all Gm cars and the designers forced to eat them!

That being said you can get by with a few diff methods of cheating the system but they are all band-aid fixes! The resistor trick, if you get lucky will work, although not the easiest thing to accomplish. After all my serching what Ive decided is the best answer to the problem is to do away with the VATS all together, If you are afraid someone will steal your car Vats is not going to stop them! I honestly believe Vats has stopped more owners than thieves!

Deleting the VATS module from your car is the easy part, find it, unplug it and send it to the affor mentioned designers for ingestion! As far as making you car run without it now thats a diff story, again you have a few choices with the best, most time consuming, is to have someone like PCM For Less removing it from your computor. But there are also online threads on how to build a square wave generator to produce the 30hrz signwave your eECM requires to operate the injectors.

After about 9 million hrs of pulling my hair out and waiting the required five min. between trying each resistor I finally got lucky!!!! The Heavens parted and Angels rained down a relaxing tune of v8 power! I will never go thru this again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My Ecm is off to be reprogramed and my VATS module is off to the designers with a complimentary bottle of Tabasco!

I consider this the cheapest out I could find.
http://newrockies.ca/vatsbypass/
Old 03-17-2010, 03:31 PM
jfb
Team Owner

Originally Posted by erikv79
Too bad there's not a smiley for blowing your brains out, because thats what I just went through.
VATS is the most evil gremlin ever devised by GM Engineers, every one should be removed from all Gm cars and the designers forced to eat them!

That being said you can get by with a few diff methods of cheating the system but they are all band-aid fixes! The resistor trick, if you get lucky will work, although not the easiest thing to accomplish. After all my serching what Ive decided is the best answer to the problem is to do away with the VATS all together, If you are afraid someone will steal your car Vats is not going to stop them! I honestly believe Vats has stopped more owners than thieves!

Deleting the VATS module from your car is the easy part, find it, unplug it and send it to the affor mentioned designers for ingestion! As far as making you car run without it now thats a diff story, again you have a few choices with the best, most time consuming, is to have someone like PCM For Less removing it from your computor. But there are also online threads on how to build a square wave generator to produce the 30hrz signwave your eECM requires to operate the injectors.

After about 9 million hrs of pulling my hair out and waiting the required five min. between trying each resistor I finally got lucky!!!! The Heavens parted and Angels rained down a relaxing tune of v8 power! I will never go thru this again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My Ecm is off to be reprogramed and my VATS module is off to the designers with a complimentary bottle of Tabasco!

I consider this the cheapest out I could find.
http://newrockies.ca/vatsbypass/
Good lord what a wimpy whiner you are. I have been driving my 87 vette every day for 21 years and I have had to replace the ignition lock twice. Both times I plugged in the correct resistance and then had the ignition lock replaced. The person I bought my 87 from bought a new 89 and shortly after taking delivery they came out of work to find the driver window busted out and the steering column busted open, BUT.....the car hadn't budged an inch. VATS is valuable and it is easy to fix. 99% of car thefts are done by bashing the steering column and jumping the ignition....UNLESS you have VATS, and then you still have your car. Keep your car in good repair!
Old 03-17-2010, 03:34 PM
TA
Team Owner

Received 261 Likes on 159 Posts

A good lock smith should be able to make you a key with the correct Vats value. I'd expect it to cost $150+ though.

Your other option is to buy a new ignition lock cylinder. It'll come with a generic non-vats key. You'll then need to duplicate each of the possible Vats resistances until the car starts. You'll then be able to get a new key with the value you determined or buy a vats bypass at that point. This will be the cheaper route, but it'll take you some time to get it figured out. I went this route and it probably took me a week or so to get the car running. In hind sight I think I should have called a locksmith.
Old 03-18-2010, 11:38 AM
erikv79
Advanced

Good lord what a wimpy whiner you are. I have been driving my 87 vette every day for 21 years and I have had to replace the ignition lock twice. Both times I plugged in the correct resistance and then had the ignition lock replaced. The person I bought my 87 from bought a new 89 and shortly after taking delivery they came out of work to find the driver window busted out and the steering column busted open, BUT.....the car hadn't budged an inch. VATS is valuable and it is easy to fix. 99% of car thefts are done by bashing the steering column and jumping the ignition....UNLESS you have VATS, and then you still have your car. Keep your car in good repair!
jfb,
I see you have posted in a few diff threads telling people to keep their car in good repair, assuming that they have not. Well, have you ever heard what happens when you assume? You can leave the "me" part out of it. Everyone is entitled to make their own opinion of something, even you. In my case I purchased a wrecked/parts car and was unable to obtain the code from GM. My post was in jest of the VATS system which you seem to love soooo much, So I apologize if I offended you in any way, shape, or form. And I will be sure to only purchase wrecked cars "in good repair" in the future. As far as being a "whimpy whiner", thank you, its not every day I get a complement!

Get notified of new replies

To VATS codes

Quick Reply: VATS codes