Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

will a c4 ever be worth what a c1/c2/c3 is?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 06:59 PM
Jon Hekking
Race Director

Received 242 Likes on 129 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C3 of Year Finalist (stock)

Originally Posted by TJM
Wrong, and why????

My crystal never works real well, but with pedestrian C3's going for $15,000 on this forum, that is up A LOT from a decade ago when you could pick up a nice C3 for very small bucks [ sort like C4 now?].

The 1984's especially will be what the National Corvette Restoring Society guys will go bonkers for in 2025 [ If we have gas and they aren't all dead for Health Care Reform].

Why? because they are getting tossed out like used toilet paper.

Some guy said he knew a guy that had his towed for a parking violation and left it!

Time will tell but history says when they are strange and rare, the bucks come back.

TJM
It's simple supply and demand, unless there is more demand than supply, nothing changes. If there is a shift in the interest of the average C4, they will go up in value. If you look at C3's they really are not bringing big dollars (trust me, I know) unless they are a special interest car, which usually means chrome bumpers, 4 speed and big blocks........ kind of like the GS C4's.

C4's are not sexy or desireable to the average person, not like the earlier cars. It's not a knock against the C4, they just don't have the kind of demand the earlier Vettes have........ wish they did
Old 03-16-2010, 07:22 PM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon Hekking
C4's are not sexy or desireable to the average person, not like the earlier cars. It's not a knock against the C4, they just don't have the kind of demand the earlier Vettes have........ wish they did
You are wrong sir!.. everywhere I go someone says "cool car" or "I love those old vettes". I pulled up to an elementary school the other day and the kids started yelling "A race car". They will be old enough to buy a car one day. When I was 12 I used to walk by my neighbors house and see his 84 and think .."What a car, I will have one some day". This is my second C4.
Old 03-16-2010, 07:34 PM
Jon Hekking
Race Director

Originally Posted by ch@0s
You are wrong sir!.. everywhere I go someone says "cool car" or "I love those old vettes". I pulled up to an elementary school the other day and the kids started yelling "A race car". They will be old enough to buy a car one day. When I was 12 I used to walk by my neighbors house and see his 84 and think .."What a car, I will have one some day". This is my second C4.
Didn't say "no interest" I said it will take "more interest" to increase value. I can assure you I get more looks in my C3 than I do the C4. Doesn't mean that I think any less of the C4, but more people will have to want a C4 in order to increase demand and increase their value, basic economics.
Old 03-16-2010, 07:37 PM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

Didn't say "no interest" I said it will take "more interest" to increase value. I can assure you I get more looks in my C3 than I do the C4. Doesn't mean that I think any less of the C4, but more people will have to want a C4 in order to increase demand and increase their value, basic economics.
I can agree with that.. but let me tell you, the guy across the street has a C3 and offered to trade me. My boss wanted a C4 but had to buy a C5 because he is a big guy. There is we all own them.
Old 03-16-2010, 07:42 PM
Jon Hekking
Race Director

I can agree with that.. but let me tell you, the guy across the street has a C3 and offered to trade me. My boss wanted a C4 but had to buy a C5 because he is a big guy. There is we all own them.
I think you're still missing my point. I agree, we all love C4's and there are many that do. But if you take the majority of the people looking to buy a Corvette and give them a choice, most will choose one other than a C4. Many people are attracted to the C4 due to it's entry level price. Given the choice, most new Corvette owners would opt for an earlier or later Vette than our C4's.
Old 03-16-2010, 07:50 PM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

I think you're still missing my point. I agree, we all love C4's and there are many that do. But if you take the majority of the people looking to buy a Corvette and give them a choice, most will choose one other than a C4. Many people are attracted to the C4 due to it's entry level price. Given the choice, most new Corvette owners would opt for an earlier or later Vette than our C4's.
So you are telling me a C5 is not newer and a C3 is not older.. Have u asked most people?
Old 03-16-2010, 07:59 PM
Jon Hekking
Race Director

So you are telling me a C5 is not newer and a C3 is not older.. Have u asked most people?
I'm sorry, I have no clue what you mean................

It's not that hard, if given a choice I think more people would opt for a nice chrome bumper C3, C5 or C6 over an average LT1 C4. Don't let emotions get involved, would you really rather have a C4 (Non GS or LT4) or a nice 71 big block? That's why they have increased in value, because more people want them than the number of these cars that are available. That's what increases value. There's no governing body that sets value of these cars, if people want C4s, the value will go up, simple economics..........
Old 03-16-2010, 08:06 PM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

It's not that hard, if given a choice I think more people would opt for a nice chrome bumper C3, C5 or C6 over an average LT1 C4. Don't let emotions get involved, would you really rather have a C4 (Non GS or LT4) or a nice 71 big block? That's why they have increased in value, because more people want them than the number of these cars that are available. That's what increases value. There's no governing body that sets value of these cars, if people want C4s, the value will go up, simple economics..........
C6 yes, but I would keep the C4 as well. The others no.. old and slow.. not fuel injected and don't handle as well.
BTW: read my post over gain I think u missed The Point.. That said I'm Out.
Old 03-16-2010, 08:16 PM
Jon Hekking
Race Director

C6 yes, but I would keep the C4 as well. The others no.. old and slow.. not fuel injected and don't handle as well.
BTW: read my post over gain I think u missed The Point.. That said I'm Out.
Sorry, read your post many times, still don't get it.

Are you really saying you would rather own and be seen in a run of the mill C4 than an L88? Have you ever sat behind the wheel of a big block C3 with your foot on the clutch ready to launch that sucker for all it's got? It may not have the refinements of a C4 but WHAT A FEELING

I assure you there's nothing slow about it, and I'll take three dueces wide open over fuel injection any day.

Remember, I have a C4 and love it. I'm looking at a C6 to add to the fleet, my C4 is not going anywhere.
Old 03-16-2010, 08:28 PM
TJM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's simple supply and demand, unless there is more demand than supply, nothing changes. If there is a shift in the interest of the average C4, they will go up in value. If you look at C3's they really are not bringing big dollars (trust me, I know) unless they are a special interest car, which usually means chrome bumpers, 4 speed and big blocks........ kind of like the GS C4's.

No knocks, time will change the situation. The C3 will continue to climb.

Too C2 levels?? .. likely not. But they will climb.

TJM
Old 03-16-2010, 08:45 PM
TJM
Drifting

, simple economics..........
Precisely. Examples of why

C4 suspension is a VERY marketable item. It has become THE Hot rod swap. I know a fellow that makes a living wrecking out C4, mostly to hot rod guys. '55 Chev's that sort of thing. Other parts... most go bye-bye. It's an economic thing.

I sold my ragged nasty front end and Dana 36 out of the '84 racer in two days. Had five calls for it after the sale [ I probably could have got more $$]

Plus... DANA 44 's and ZF's are worth more than the cars they are in. Where do they go?.... Road racers. HPDE and TT is growing fast. C4 are VERY common on the track.

At Road Atl. this weekend I saw as many as the C5 and C6 . And the are fast, can win, on the relative cheap. I know of a couple NASA TT winners in C4. These cars aren't coming back!

C4 is likely dwindling faster than C3.

So in a while, ten years or more, C4 will be relatively scare.

Nice examples even more so.

TJM
Old 03-16-2010, 09:45 PM
cooper4461
Intermediate
Support Corvetteforum!

I agree TJM. With production in the low 20K`s for most years, C4`s will be scarce in 10 to 15 years, especially nice original ones, because they will not be worth restoring.
Old 03-16-2010, 11:23 PM
graduate1986
8th Gear

Yeah, i guess I knew that it would be worth more in total number of dollars (becuase of inflation). I was thinking more of an investment, in other words, adjusted for inflation, will C4's be worth decent money in the future above and beyond inflation.

Heres an inflation teaser: True story-My uncle bought a 1965 corvette convertible, 327 4 speed in 1971 in good used condition for $1800, drove it as a used car no extra special treatment, sold it in 1975 for $2200, thought he got a great deal. Now I can understand that car being worth 12000-18000 today based on inflation, but these nice original c2's starting at 35-40000, thats a little beyond inflation.
Old 03-17-2010, 01:41 PM
rainsux89
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

C4 prices will naturally rise due to inflation, but that is only artificial.

Look, I'm not saying the C4 is going to skyrocket like Mid-year Vettes did in the late 90s, but if you look back to the late 70s and early 80s, people couldn't give away muscle cars. Everyone wanted Pintos and Chevettes. Now these muscle cars bring 6-figures at Barrett Jackson (Camaros, Mustangs, Vettes, Hemi cars).

Back in 1983, when I was a young kid, I remember my neighbor trying to sell his cherry 69 Camaro SS, he was asking $5000. Everyone said, "Nobody wants an old gas guzzling beater like that!" My uncle told him to crush it! He sat on that car for 3 months before he finally let it for $4200. Today that is a $50,000 car, even with inflation that is a good ROI.

With car prices anything is possible, but in the end, the C4 is too quirky for most people and that might hurting future appreciation.
Old 03-17-2010, 05:31 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,358 Likes on 2,786 Posts

"will a c4 ever be worth what a c1/ is ?"

Entire C1 production: about 69000

1984 production ALONE : 51447

Please stop.
Old 03-17-2010, 05:41 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,358 Likes on 2,786 Posts

Originally Posted by tblt44
Mine is worth more to me than a c3.Better ride,more reliable,better milage,ect.
So that means you would pay more for an '85 than a '68?

Originally Posted by graduate1986
I don't get the c3 fad. The c1 and c2 and so retro and cool, but the shark is definetely a unique looking car. I don't particularly think they are that wonderful, other than the fact that they are the last of the vette muscle cars. A c4 makes so much more practical sense to own, you would think that time will justify the c4, even though right now they are not cool yet, or however you want to say it. They are cool in the sense that they have there own unique place in history, but I just don't think they are old enough yet to get much attention..? another decade?
I can't imagine thinking of C3s as a "fad." What does that mean?

Interestingly, the C3s were often thought of as the "much more practical car to own" (using your terminology) back in the old days than the C1s and C2 because they were better daily drivers in every way.

However, I think the C3 is finding its way because it simply is the last model that looks like it was styled due to aesthetics rather than wind tunnels. There's a reason people used to mistake C4s for Firebirds. Clearly, styling separates the cars into C1/2/3 and C4/5/6.

Really, the argument that a C4 is more practical makes it sound like its a Taurus.

They will rebound somewhat in a few decades just out of sheer nostalgia, but I'd be surprised if they reached C1, 2 or 3 levels, comparitively speaking.
Old 03-18-2010, 01:33 AM
xlr8nflorida
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

The C4 will be sought after just like every generation before it.

Challenge Cars, Callaway, ZR-1's, GS will lead the charge and trust me, they will bring big bucks one day.

Pick a special C4 while we are at rock bottom and you won't go wrong. A ZR-1 is a steal right now and if taken care of and not driven too much, you hardly lose any $ at all. Now is it a good investment?, No -cars never are, you are better vested in the market. You can't drive a portfolio though.

In regards to inflation, $60,000 for the ZR-1 in 1990 is the equivalent of $100,000 today which is basically close to what a new ZR1 costs today.

Buy a car for your enjoyment and driving pleasure. What it is worth is irrelevant. Will it drive better to you if you know its high $$$?

Last edited by xlr8nflorida; 03-18-2010 at 01:36 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To will a c4 ever be worth what a c1/c2/c3 is?

Old 03-18-2010, 02:17 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Id take a nice chrome bumper C3 LT1 or big block any day over the coolest C4. Sure like the Zs GS etc but at the end of the day theres somethign about a solid lifter motor clattering away or hearing the secondaries opening on a cammed big block.

As far as general public is concerned Id bet 9 out of 10 would choose the C3 over the C4 just because of what it represents....different times.
Old 03-18-2010, 07:21 AM
Aaron71771
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
at the end of the day theres somethign about a solid lifter motor clattering away or hearing the secondaries opening on a cammed big block.
Indeed, those motors are music to the ears. You should hear what 4 cams and 32 valves humming along at 7000 RPMs sounds like.... erotic.
Old 03-18-2010, 07:54 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Had one of those, yeah they sound good. A solid lifter sbc sounds just as good imo. Both great motors.

Quick Reply: will a c4 ever be worth what a c1/c2/c3 is?