Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Can you jack up the front using the crossmember?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 05:12 PM
Vette Gator
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Can you jack up the front using the crossmember?

My 1989 Corvette Service Manual shows the front crossmember as the correct placement for jacking up the front end and supporting the car by the lower control arms. This is the usual way to do it on my 3rd generation Camaro, but before doing it to my C4, I wanted to be sure that this was accurate. I don't think I've ever seen anyone mention the crossmember method around here.
Old 01-31-2010, 05:21 PM
StealthLT4
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

That should work fine structurally, through good luck getting a jack to the crossmember, and the lower control arms are curvy enough that I wouldn't trust myself to put a jack stand securely on them. I never looked in my FSM for recommended jack points (aside from what the user manual states). I use the aluminum spring retainer blocks for jack stands, personally, and the side-rail jacking points for the jack.
Old 01-31-2010, 05:27 PM
Frizlefrak
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Yes. Jack by crossmember, put jack stands under jacking points on rocker panels.
Old 01-31-2010, 05:30 PM
PAINTER MAN
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I have lifted mine on the cross member many times. It does help to drive up on a couple of 2X12's to get the jack under the car.

I always use the triangle shaped frame behind the tires for my jack stands.
The following users liked this post:
sclebo05 (05-27-2022)
Old 01-31-2010, 06:31 PM
StealthLT4
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Just to clarify, by "cross member" is this the steel piece that runs under the engine? Apparently I didn't realize how lowered I was...
Old 01-31-2010, 06:40 PM
Frizlefrak
Race Director

As a side note....the question often comes up of how to get the car on 4 stands. Here's the method with the coveted Frizlefrak Seal of Approval.

I use two jacks....my big Sears floor jack, and a little Harbor Freight $20 Chinese special. I first use the HFCS under the jack point and lift the front end (either side) about 6"....this gives me enough room to get the big floor jack under the crossmember. Using the big Jack, I lift under the crossmember until I can get a jack stand under each front jack point.

Then, moving to the rear, I use the rear shock mount to lift each side until I can get a jack stand under the rear jack points....one side at a time. The car is now on 4 stands....and you can just raise the front as needed by the crossmember all at one time, and the rear one side at a time until the car is high enough for you to do whatever you need to do. I've swapped a 700R4 using this method and 6 ton jack stands.

Happy Jacking.
Old 01-31-2010, 07:56 PM
kenv
Le Mans Master

Location: levittown pa. usa Even a bad day with my `Vette, is better than a good day at work
St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by Frizlefrak
As a side note....the question often comes up of how to get the car on 4 stands. Here's the method with the coveted Frizlefrak Seal of Approval.

I use two jacks....my big Sears floor jack, and a little Harbor Freight $20 Chinese special. I first use the HFCS under the jack point and lift the front end (either side) about 6"....this gives me enough room to get the big floor jack under the crossmember. Using the big Jack, I lift under the crossmember until I can get a jack stand under each front jack point.

Then, moving to the rear, I use the rear shock mount to lift each side until I can get a jack stand under the rear jack points....one side at a time. The car is now on 4 stands....and you can just raise the front as needed by the crossmember all at one time, and the rear one side at a time until the car is high enough for you to do whatever you need to do. I've swapped a 700R4 using this method and 6 ton jack stands.

Happy Jacking.
Thanks for the info. I`ll have to try your method. My `87 is a PITA to get under the front because of the Greenwood body work.
Old 01-31-2010, 10:02 PM
Vette Gator
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Frizlefrak

Happy Jacking.
Do you have to angle the big floor jack or can you come straight at the car? On my Camaro, I have to angle the jack to avoid the air dam.
Old 02-01-2010, 03:17 AM
Frizlefrak
Race Director

With one side about 6" up, I can run the big floor jack straight under the crossmember and up she comes.
Old 02-01-2010, 08:28 AM
Muffin
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by PAINTER MAN
I have lifted mine on the cross member many times. It does help to drive up on a couple of 2X12's to get the jack under the car.

I always use the triangle shaped frame behind the tires for my jack stands.
Same here except I use a small sissor jack on a frame rail to get the car high enough to reach the cross member.
Old 02-01-2010, 08:50 AM
tankman
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kenv
Thanks for the info. I`ll have to try your method. My `87 is a PITA to get under the front because of the Greenwood body work.
My '87 is a PITA to get under and i don't have the Greenwood kit!

tankman
Old 02-01-2010, 09:02 AM
Allentown Ernie
Burning Brakes

I have the Greenwood package on my 90 coupe, so I drive up on 2X12,s before I can get my floor jacks under the car. Then I put jack stands under the front crossmember. I always leave the floor jacks under the car as well. You can never be too safe. Allentown Ernie.
Old 02-01-2010, 11:31 AM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Received 260 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by kenv
I have the kit also. I used the corners of my x brace though, and I can barely fit my to real low profile jacks behind the front wheel enough to even reach that. I have wood to build some nice ramps, I just have not done it yet.
Old 02-01-2010, 11:54 AM
sfc rick
Le Mans Master

Received 150 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Allentown Ernie
I have the Greenwood package on my 90 coupe, so I drive up on 2X12,s before I can get my floor jacks under the car. Then I put jack stands under the front crossmember. I always leave the floor jacks under the car as well. You can never be too safe. Allentown Ernie.
My first day on the job in a small Garage the owner was installing a transmission in a car...he says "get me a 9/16" wrench" then I heard a sickening thud....look behind me and he's still under the car with his legs jerking and flopping around as they stick out from under the car. Blood is everywhere on his head....his wife screams and calls for the ambulance...we pull him out. Later that day my Dad says ..son don't ever work for that Garage again. The owner didn't use jackstands or any safety equipment.

Lesson LEARNED!
The following users liked this post:
RalfKramden (06-17-2018)
Old 02-01-2010, 11:58 AM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Received 260 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by sfc rick
My first day on the job in a small Garage the owner was installing a transmission in a car...he says "get me a 9/16" wrench" then I heard a sickening thud....look behind me and he's still under the car with his legs jerking and flopping around as they stick out from under the car. Blood is everywhere on his head....his wife screams and calls for the ambulance...we pull him out. Later that day my Dad says ..son don't ever work for that Garage again. The owner didn't use jackstands or any safety equipment.

Lesson LEARNED!
Old 02-01-2010, 12:09 PM
olcrusty
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pologreen1
Old 02-01-2010, 01:09 PM
aboatguy
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I use less (lifts) jackwise....
I have an old American built jack (was my grandfathers) and it is lower than the new chinese jacks

It makes lifting the front or rear quick, simple and safe to get the car on jackstands (or to change tires)

When I lift from the front crossmember I use a small jack IOT lift a side a little IOT get a 4x4 under the crossmember (support the crossmember) and then I lift the entire front end.

The lifting pad on my jack is large enough to get under both sides of the spring perch on the rear.
MIke

Last edited by aboatguy; 02-01-2010 at 01:12 PM.
Old 02-01-2010, 01:44 PM
Frizlefrak
Race Director

Originally Posted by sfc rick

Lesson LEARNED!
The guy got under a car with no jack stands.....supported by the jack only???

It's a wonder he lived to tell about it.

Get notified of new replies

To Can you jack up the front using the crossmember?

Quick Reply: Can you jack up the front using the crossmember?