Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Driving in the rain no headlites/ticket question

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 05:40 AM
VinceC4
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here in Connecticut it is the law, wipers on and headlights also. It is not designed so you can see better, it is designed so other cars can see you. I would much rather be seen in the rain, then have some idiot rearend me. In Connecticut the fine is $100 bucks.
Old 01-23-2010, 09:05 AM
88yellow
Instructor

Originally Posted by GIMMESOME
No your not one of the idiots I spoke of. Unless you pulled out in front of a car that you couldn't see with their drivers on. Then either your an idiot, or the state needs to give you a better eye test than the one you take. Besides, I would never follow that close behind your 80,000 pound big rig. That would be stupid. Like pulling out in front of a car that has no lights whatsoever. If you can't see a car coming in the rain with their driving lamps on, buddy, I don't want to be anywhere near your big rig.
That is what I'm tring to tell you, we kickup so much spray behind us it very hard to see thru that spray, we need people using as much light as possible. Also, think about you can be driving 70 mph in Ca. where we have to drive 55mph. That means you are approching me really fast and if there is redused visabilty if can happen. I, just tring to get you to understand from our side of things. I'm sure it won't really matter what I tell you, you act like everything is all about you. I'll be in SoCal. Monday morning and I hope I don't have to deal with you.
Old 01-23-2010, 11:24 AM
RollaMo-LT4
Race Director

Received 142 Likes on 117 Posts
2021 C4 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Originally Posted by 88yellow
That is what I'm tring to tell you, we kickup so much spray behind us it very hard to see thru that spray, we need people using as much light as possible. Also, think about you can be driving 70 mph in Ca. where we have to drive 55mph. That means you are approching me really fast and if there is redused visabilty if can happen. I, just tring to get you to understand from our side of things. I'm sure it won't really matter what I tell you, you act like everything is all about you. I'll be in SoCal. Monday morning and I hope I don't have to deal with you.

It's nice to get some input from another perspective.
I've never driven one, so I can't imagine what it would be like to drive one of those rigs in heavy traffic.

And I know just as with 4 wheel auto's, there are plenty of bad "18 wheeler" drivers. I try to do everything I can to make sure they see me.
Old 01-24-2010, 03:13 PM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

I use my fog lights. No problems yet. Remember when you have the lights extended, they create air drag and hold you back, reducing high-end top speed and reduced economy. Just kidding, use your lights as necessary.
Old 01-24-2010, 06:35 PM
87 Ragtop
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
CI 3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11 Vet
CI X Blind Auto-X Champ

Ohio just passed that as a secondary law. Meaning they can't pull you over for just that. But they will add on the extra "tax" if you're speeding or doing any other primary offense.

That being said, I've seen the Columbus City officers several times running around without their headlights on during the rain.

The news had said that driving lights would be good, but I looked the law up and it appears to require headlights. I think any kind of illumination including fog lights would be enough. Torrential downpours... Then they would be on completely. Although it is sold for "safety" It is sadly $$$$ that is the primary reason for it.
Old 01-25-2010, 12:40 AM
McGirk94LT1
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In PA im pretty much positive if its raining out and you are using your wipers, you must have your headlights on and if not can be pulled over for it. I know your saying if they cant see you they need their eyes checked but I can bet you a $100 in foggy or rainy conditions there is a huge difference between your driving lamps and your headlights. Get in a buddies expedition or something of that height and stand fifty feet away from your vette with driving lamps on, then 100 feet. Then look through his rear view mirror and try to see your vette. At least when looking in the mirrors its almost impossible. Trust me after riding a motorcycle last two years, being overly safe is never a dumb idea.
Old 01-26-2010, 08:56 AM
five-oh
Racer

Received 91 Likes on 29 Posts

Coming from the "blue light" side of the issue, I can tell you that while Arkansas has a headlights on when raining primary law ( probable cause for a stop), it's rarely enforced around here. Simply put, when it's pouring rain, I'm too busy working accidents to worry about a traffic violation as minor as that. And to be honest, most cops don't like getting wet anymore than you do, so heavy rain at least, will keep us in our cars unless you're being a total moron. As far as the driving/fog lights being sufficent, by Arkansas law they're not due to the height issue as well. If I saw them on instead of headlights though, I'd consider the fact that the driver was obeying the spirit of the law if not the letter and would probably let it go. bottom line, if that's all you're doing wrong, no probs.Most of my friends around here would simply issue a warning if you didn't show your @$$ and get an attitude when stopped. If there's more lawbreaking though, you'll have an issue and I would not expect to see the additional charges thrown out due to the probable cause. Just my .02.
Old 01-26-2010, 11:40 AM
Loby 1
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GIMMESOME
Do you mean visibility for me, or to somebody else? If someone can't see my drivers, I doubt that their gonna see me. Headlights or not. If for me, remember, it's daytime.I can see fine.Besides the daytime driving lights required on my new cars are no brighter then mine.
Whats not bright is your thinking. Common sense would dictate that safety especially while driving in inclement weather is more important than driving with your heads light down so you can look This goes for any type of vehicle, car, truck or motorcycle. High visibility is the way to go, if not for your safety but for the safety of others you share the road with.

Vanity before safety...Come on! Perhaps California should require an IQ test as well as an eye test.

Its no wonder I left California 11 years ago and never looked back.

Last edited by Loby 1; 01-26-2010 at 11:43 AM.
Old 01-26-2010, 11:54 AM
RetiredSFC 97
Team Owner

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10, '14

Originally Posted by pologreen1
California
nuff said

Originally Posted by VinceC4
Here in Connecticut it is the law, wipers on and headlights also. It is not designed so you can see better, it is designed so other cars can see you. I would much rather be seen in the rain, then have some idiot rearend me. In Connecticut the fine is $100 bucks.

I want people to see me as well. In the rain I don't cheat but at dusk, as I mentioned before I will. But not in total darkness.

This thread isn't going as intended.
Old 01-26-2010, 12:02 PM
H P Bushrod

Received 109 Likes on 84 Posts
CI 5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23
NCM Sinkhole Donor

It's the law here in Tennessee also (wipers on, headlights on).
Old 01-26-2010, 12:42 PM
1985 Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 387 Likes on 236 Posts

How can you hate the flip up lights on a Corvette? That's like hating on a Lamborghini's scissor doors or a Ferrari's gated shifter.
Old 01-26-2010, 01:05 PM
RetiredSFC 97
Team Owner

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10, '14

Originally Posted by 1985 Corvette
How can you hate the flip up lights on a Corvette? That's like hating on a Lamborghini's scissor doors or a Ferrari's gated shifter.
I agree, that's part of the vette IMO. But I do try to limit the number of flips.
Old 01-26-2010, 01:29 PM
slash25rc
Heel & Toe

Depends on the amount of rain imo. if its not a lot, runners should be alright. If its a bad downpour. I'd turn them on just for safety. Everyone knows a Vette looks good. So why risk someone not seeing you? I have an 87' with original wipers b/c it's only seen rain 3 times (prom a few years ago etc.) So i dont worry about it. And as for the weed in your car. in CA, weed is on the verge of being legal anyways. As for now, say you have cancer? good luck
Old 01-26-2010, 01:40 PM
Clams Canino
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The safety issues withstanding:
If your car smells like a Cheech & Chong movie and comes complete with an open bar and a drug store, then it makes real good sense to do everything humanly possible to avoid having the cops notice your Vette at all. And since it's a Vette, it already has 2 stikes against it in the "inobtrusive" department.

So if it was me, even though I want to limit the number of flips, I'd make sure I was "extra-compliant" with all the traffic laws, so as to not give The Highwaymen a reason to go on a fishing trip.

-W
Old 01-26-2010, 02:02 PM
ks5shooter
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13

Originally Posted by VetteMed
crumpled fiberglass, plastic, and sheetmetal is much uglier than any perceived ugliness of having the headlights up. Visibility is a good thing.

Old 01-27-2010, 03:45 PM
Biker
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Many people fail to turn on their headlights while driving in rain. I've read that mfrs. will soon address this problem by developing lights that automatically illuminate when wipers are switched on.
Old 01-27-2010, 03:49 PM
Clams Canino
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Biker
Many people fail to turn on their headlights while driving in rain. I've read that mfrs. will soon address this problem by developing lights that automatically illuminate when wipers are switched on.
SOON? My 2001 Grand Marquis does this.

For a moment here, I thought I was trapped in another old thread!

-W

Get notified of new replies

To Driving in the rain no headlites/ticket question

Old 01-27-2010, 05:43 PM
Sheri'sCherry87
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Clams Canino
For a moment here, I thought I was trapped in another old thread!

-W

Old 01-27-2010, 07:34 PM
Vette Jockey
Roadster Madness. 😠
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,524 Likes on 867 Posts
SoCal Regional Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '13, '20-'21

Originally Posted by mike100
OK, lets bring in some facts-

VEHICLE CODE
SECTION 24400-24411

(2) A condition requiring the windshield wipers to be in
continuous use due to rain, mist, snow, fog, or other precipitation
or atmospheric moisture.

the argument about continuously running wipers is pertinent.
There is a loophole in the law. If you have your wipers on constant your headlights have to be on. If you use the intermittant wiper switch, the headlights do not have to be on because they are not on constantly.
Old 01-27-2010, 07:55 PM
mike100
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Vette Jockey
There is a loophole in the law. If you have your wipers on constant your headlights have to be on. If you use the intermittant wiper switch, the headlights do not have to be on because they are not on constantly.
Yeah, that's what I'm sayin'. You could hire one of those $99 traffic court lawyers (Mr. Ticket in San Diego, for instance) to wear the court down enough to see if the officer would show up to refute that you could not see 1000 ft unobstructed and that if the cop knew you had it on continuously or not. As you know the burden of proof is with the court etc etc. It would seem to be one of the moving violations that you could actually win.

Another article I found said that only 30 or so tickets for this were issued in 2007 and this state has 35 million people in it. 20 of them were all by the same department in a small area. It's like the cell phone hands free law. It costs the courts too much money to process nickel and dime BS and ties up more important cases/ bigger tickets. The cops suddenly stop enforcing stuff that is useless and causes backlog.

I'll try to remember to turn my lights on next time though.

Quick Reply: Driving in the rain no headlites/ticket question