Old 12-27-2009, 01:24 AM
Wathen1955
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is some info on batteries:
http://jgdarden.com/batteryfaq/carfaq14.htm

And this:
15. HOW LONG CAN I PARK MY VEHICLE?

The amount of time, usually referred to as "airport", "garage", or "storage" time, that you can leave your vehicle parked and still start your engine is dependent on such things as the battery's initial State-of-Charge (SoC), the Reserve Capacity (or amp hour capacity), the amount of natural self-discharge and parasitic (ignition key off) load, temperature and battery type (plate chemistry). Car manufacturers normally design for at least 14 days or more "airport" time; based on a fully charged battery in good condition, moderate weather, and no additions to the original car's parasitic load (for example, an after market alarm system). The number of days will vary based on the temperature. When a battery drops below 100% SoC, sulfation starts slowly occurring, and this will reduce the capacity of the battery and if left unchecked, will kill the battery.

If you leave your vehicle parked for more than two weeks, then you have several options:

15.1. The best long term (over one month) option is to continuously float charge your car battery by connecting a "smart" battery charger or a voltage regulated float charger because it will keep the battery fully charged, thus eliminating sulfation. If there is no AC power available, use a five watt (or greater) solar float charger. These options will allow you to park you vehicle indefinitely, but the battery should be checked periodically. You will need a "float" charging voltage between 13.2 and 13.8 VDC at 80° F (26.7° C) and at least .5 amps (500 milliamps) to overcome the vehicle's parasitic load and the natural self-discharge of the battery. Do not use a cheap "trickle" charger, because it will overcharge your battery and dry out the electrolyte.

15.2. Disconnect the grounded battery cable (which is normally the NEGATIVE (-) cable) to remove the parasitic load, but be sure that you have saved any security codes or radio stations presets that will have to be reprogrammed, but the battery's natural self-discharge will continue. This option will work from one month to six months depending battery type and temperature.

15.3. Replace the battery with the largest AGM (Ca/Ca) or Spiral Wound AGM VRLA battery that will fit, e.g., an Optima or Exide Select Orbital, with very low self-discharge rates. For periods greater than two months, also disconnect the grounded battery cable to remove the parasitic load. This option will work for six months to twelve months depending battery type and temperature.

15.4. Install a battery with a larger reserve capacity or connect an identical battery in parallel, but the battery's natural self-discharge will continue. For periods greater than two months, also disconnect the grounded battery cable to remove the parasitic load. This option will work for two months to twelve months depending battery type and temperature.

15.5. Replace the battery when you are ready to drive the vehicle again, especially if the battery is over three years old and in a hot climate.

15.6. Have someone drive your car during the day at highway speeds every two weeks for at least 15 minutes to keep the battery charged.

15.7. Jump start the battery and hope that there is no latent damage.

15.8. Install a low voltage disconnect. This is especially helpful if the driver forgets to turn the headlights off.
http://jgdarden.com/batteryfaq/carfaq15.htm
Old 12-27-2009, 10:54 AM
RetiredSFC 97
Team Owner

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10, '14

Originally Posted by Churchkey
You can use a trickle charger. Plug it into a light timer & set it run one hour per day.
A tender is probably best.

But a trickle charger is fine also. They will shut themself off when a battery is fully charged, or at least the one I have does.

I completely understand why people use a tender but taking care of a battery is not rocket science either. Just plug it in every couple weeks and your good. Once a month is adequate.

I have never used a tender and never had any problems with my Dodge Ram or vette, whch both sit for extended periods of up to a month. The vette in some cases longer but not often.

But for full disclosure I have been thinking of buying a tender, just cuz.

Last edited by RetiredSFC 97; 12-27-2009 at 10:58 AM.
Old 12-27-2009, 05:59 PM
hln111
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just out of curiosity, is it necessary to disconnect the battery when using a tender? Is there a possibility of damaging the electronic dash if you leave the cables connected?

85 Gold
Old 12-27-2009, 07:51 PM
trulytex
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought 2 of the Black & Decker automatic battery tenders for my Boat. They offer a choice of 1 amp or 2 amp charge. They were $20 each. So far, no problems.
Old 12-27-2009, 07:52 PM
BigMacs96
Advanced

Ive got a Sears battery tender works just fine.
Old 12-27-2009, 08:00 PM
RollaMo-LT4
Race Director

Received 142 Likes on 117 Posts
2021 C4 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Originally Posted by 85 gold
Just out of curiosity, is it necessary to disconnect the battery when using a tender? Is there a possibility of damaging the electronic dash if you leave the cables connected?

85 Gold
No need to disconnect the battery cables if your going to use a battery tender.
Old 12-27-2009, 09:46 PM
1800Wing
Flatulent Dwarf
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by 85 gold

85 Gold
Never had a problem with my digital stuff using the Battery Tender....the REAL Battery Tender has copyrighted circuitry and algorithms....if y'all would go to the link I put in a few messages back you can see for yourself and get just about all the questions answered.
Old 12-27-2009, 11:08 PM
MK 82
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kenmack
This is based on the assumption that most batteries will discharge and go flat in 4 - 6 weeks without use.
I think batteries will rot internally if not warmed up daily with some discharge and charge action.
Any battery experts care to comment on this laymans opinion.
The typical lead acid battery self discharges at about 4 to 6% per month. So your 4-6 wks should produce about 5 to 8% discharge-not flat. This does not take into account any parasitic drains. Batteries don't rot internally.

The beauty of the Battery Tender (TM) is that it shuts itself off when the batt is full charged. Trickle chargers do not. That is why they are typically cheaper.

Last edited by MK 82; 12-27-2009 at 11:14 PM.
Old 12-28-2009, 12:37 AM
BigMacs96
Advanced

I still like the Sears battery tender 25 bucks
Old 12-28-2009, 11:12 AM
RetiredSFC 97
Team Owner

Originally Posted by MK 82
The typical lead acid battery self discharges at about 4 to 6% per month. So your 4-6 wks should produce about 5 to 8% discharge-not flat. This does not take into account any parasitic drains. Batteries don't rot internally.

The beauty of the Battery Tender (TM) is that it shuts itself off when the batt is full charged. Trickle chargers do not. That is why they are typically cheaper.

My trickle charger shuts itself off when the battery is charged. Well it doesn't actually shut completely off but it does quit charging.
Old 12-28-2009, 11:20 PM
MK 82
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RetiredSFC 97

My trickle charger shuts itself off when the battery is charged. Well it doesn't actually shut completely off but it does quit charging.
How do you know it stops charging?
Old 12-29-2009, 10:19 AM
RetiredSFC 97
Team Owner

Originally Posted by MK 82
How do you know it stops charging?
First because the instructions tell me it does. And second, if you look at the charger dial, it will go down to the position as if it is turned off.

I have hooked up this charger, on my tractor, and got busy and forgot I had it hooked up and after several hours went back to find all was ok and the dial was in the off mode.

I believe a tender is the easiest and probably safest way to go but not a have to. I also believe if you just put a trickle charger on for a couple hours once a month everything will be fine.

just depends on what type of set up a person has. I personally don't like to plug something in and just forget about it especially when it's around combustibles. It's probably safe but I get nervous.

But you cannot just hook up the trickle and leave it hooked up either. The cut off is just a safety mechanism.

Last edited by RetiredSFC 97; 12-29-2009 at 10:24 AM.
Old 12-29-2009, 11:15 AM
Rocket22
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default For $11 bucks why add an issue with the trickle

I have a $11 harbor freight tender (actually 2) and it has been flawless. I am not one for using something that it is not intended for, Trickle charger with a timer. For what reason, to save $11 dollars? I am a cheap one, but why do this?

My car sits for 3-4 months over the winter, I do start it and move it up and down driveway every 2-3 weeks and the tender does a greeat job.
Old 12-29-2009, 12:20 PM
xlr8nflorida
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 92PGC
I have a Sears 10Amp trickle charger. would this serve the same purpose as one of those battery tenders ? if not could I just turn the trickle charger on say once a week or at some other interval ?

thanks and Merry Xmas.
I Have a CTEK 3300 - best trickle charger on the market in my opinion.

It not only uses Float maintenance but also Pulse maintenance.

You can get one for $60 on ebay.

It's well worth the $60 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHSI_qHOI4U

CTEK Sweden is proud to supply battery chargers and develop adapted solutions to some of the worlds most recognised car and motorcycle manufacturers in the world: Porsche, Mercedes, Maybach, Harley Davidson (Scandinavia), Aston Martin, Bentley, Ferrari and Lamborghini.

Charging process starts in the video at 2:40 seconds.

Last edited by xlr8nflorida; 12-29-2009 at 01:22 PM.
Old 12-29-2009, 08:13 PM
96KICKS
Melting Slicks

CI 7-8 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07

I've always used a tender, and it's never failed me. Just my .02

Quick Reply: Battery tender vs trickle charger