C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

What do I do for more HP?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 11:04 PM
Z01#316
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sfc rick
The ole never ending quest, What can I expect to do with an 88 L98 for more hp?

I'm on a budget of $3000 and wondered if it's possible to take my L98 and figure out what's best to get more out of it.

I looked at the used LS1 swap and it's not in the budget, looked at numerous crate enigines and think it's not in the budget either.

Is there a way to get more using the engines TPI and old ECU?

I figure if I have to use the ole l98, it's going to need a rebuild anyway and would heads add anything?
Sure are alot of people here more concerned about their post count than answering ur question , Typical.

From one Ol Sarge to another... Having been there, done that, many times over with several cars, examine ur end goal and make a plan. Putting money into any car is a losing proposition. If u want a car that's faster, sell it and buy the newest one u can afford. If u just have to have that particular one, can't beat Nitrous for bang to a buck, and in the mean time, save for a new engine for when u get greedy. Next up is a reputable supercharger, but again, save up for a rebuild when u get greedy with the boost or stupid as to how u apply it. Lastly, save for a rebuild, planning on what u want in the end, as to a high hp screemer or a torque beast for street duties. Keep in mind, most high hp engines get their hp in the upper end of the curve. U need to ask yourself, how often are u going to rev ur engine that high, and /or are u gonna track the car?
Too many focus on numbers. U can get into plenty of trouble with the 240-250hp u have. I'd enjoy what u have and buy something newer when u need more. Throwing money away with parts, peacemeal, is a waste of time, and, u'll never by completely happy with the result. U'll always want that lil bit more. Just another man's point of view. Have a good'un.
Old 01-14-2010, 11:32 PM
RedLS1GTO
Race Director

Received 42 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Z01#316
Sure are alot of people here more concerned about their post count than answering ur question , Typical.

From one Ol Sarge to another... Having been there, done that, many times over with several cars, examine ur end goal and make a plan. Putting money into any car is a losing proposition. If u want a car that's faster, sell it and buy the newest one u can afford. If u just have to have that particular one, can't beat Nitrous for bang to a buck, and in the mean time, save for a new engine for when u get greedy. Next up is a reputable supercharger, but again, save up for a rebuild when u get greedy with the boost or stupid as to how u apply it. Lastly, save for a rebuild, planning on what u want in the end, as to a high hp screemer or a torque beast for street duties. Keep in mind, most high hp engines get their hp in the upper end of the curve. U need to ask yourself, how often are u going to rev ur engine that high, and /or are u gonna track the car?
Too many focus on numbers. U can get into plenty of trouble with the 240-250hp u have. I'd enjoy what u have and buy something newer when u need more. Throwing money away with parts, peacemeal, is a waste of time, and, u'll never by completely happy with the result. U'll always want that lil bit more. Just another man's point of view. Have a good'un.
In all fairness... I answered almost the exact same way as you (not so many words) a month ago... BEFORE I upped my post count.
Old 01-15-2010, 07:55 AM
sfc rick
Le Mans Master

Received 150 Likes on 79 Posts

So can I up my post count using my old thread too?

Old 01-15-2010, 09:00 AM
Z01#316
Racer

Originally Posted by redls1gto
In all fairness... I answered almost the exact same way as you (not so many words) a month ago... BEFORE I upped my post count.
Sorry for the shotgun blast, u did and I apologize. And, I just upped my post count too (not that I care)
Old 01-15-2010, 09:24 AM
Biker
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Better yet...park the Vette and buy a sportbike.
Old 01-15-2010, 09:24 AM
RetiredSFC 97
Team Owner

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10, '14

what's with the post count thing? Do we get to go to Disney Land or something?
Old 01-15-2010, 09:28 AM
RetiredSFC 97
Team Owner

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10, '14

Originally Posted by corvetteronw
Here you go. Engineering student at Clemson has been there and done the hard work for you. Enjoy - and raise the limit on your Visa!
http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c4/vader86/
There's a link to Thunder Racing on that website. I ordered a Fuel pump from them over three weeks ago and it has not come in yet. I had to call to see what the hold up was. It is a drop ship item and has been on back order. I receieved 5 emails from them and not once did they mention any of that.

I am not happy. Just thought I would point that out. But I did notice they are having a sale on Borla Catbacks. $457.00 for an 85 to 91 catback is pretty good if you like Borla.

Oh, that website site is now saved to my favorites, it's good!
Old 01-15-2010, 09:53 AM
sfc rick
Le Mans Master

Received 150 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Biker
Better yet...park the Vette and buy a sportbike.
Well, I got that already, but instead of a sportbike it's a hotrod bike. 2009 VMax with about 200rwhp. It's just a motor with two wheels.

Old 01-15-2010, 09:53 AM
RedLS1GTO
Race Director

Received 42 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by RetiredSFC 97
what's with the post count thing? Do we get to go to Disney Land or something?

Yes! Only eleventy billion posts to go...
Old 01-15-2010, 10:42 AM
Sweet 90
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by redls1gto
Yes! Only eleventy billion posts to go...
Come on now Red, I've told you a million times to quit exagerating

Jim
Old 01-15-2010, 11:59 AM
dlb435
Racer

What for? I've got a stock 85 (about 235 hp) and never get a chance to use the hp I've got. Horsepower=speed; torque=acceleration. The only place you get to use the power is at a track. The C4's are no longer competitive, so what's the point? I've got a friend that put a 550 hp engine in his C4. In everyday driving there is almost no difference between our two cars. Sure, he can out run me any time he wants but 99% of the time there is no oppertunity to do so. Better to keep the $3000.00 and put it towards a newer car.
The best way to get more power is to replace your engine with a high horsepower crarte engine. About 6-7K
Repalce the electrics; about an other $1000.00
Now you'll need to improve braking, wheels and tires, an other $6000.00
Don't forget about cooling; add an other $1200.00
Now you'll also need a better exhaust, so add in an other $3000.00
Lets see, that's only $17,000.00 for power you will hardly ever get to use. Are you sure it's worth it?
For $3000.00 you could just get new tires and up-grade the exhaust system. It will ride better and sound good.

Quick Reply: What do I do for more HP?