C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Seats interchange?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 12:29 PM
VinceC4
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seats interchange?

My drivers seat is really starting to show signs of wear..the passenger seat is in excellent condition, can I switch the seats?..they sure look the same. I would hate to go through the trouble of unbolting them, only to find they don't interchange.
Old 11-22-2009, 12:47 PM
floridamale
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure what year you have, but it is ok to just switch the cushions from side to side if you have standard seats. If you switch the entire seat frame the controls will be wrong. Also if you have sport seats they will be wrong. lots of us change the lower cushion because of wear on the bolster.

Last edited by floridamale; 11-22-2009 at 12:50 PM.
Old 11-22-2009, 01:25 PM
VinceC4
Pro

I have a 95 with sport seats, I didnt think about the controls...good thinking on your part.
Old 11-22-2009, 02:18 PM
pkazsr
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In X Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

My 88 Sport Seats are identical and can be switched from side to side. The controls are the same and in the same place.
Old 11-22-2009, 02:25 PM
floridamale
Safety Car

Originally Posted by pkazsr
My 88 Sport Seats are identical and can be switched from side to side. The controls are the same and in the same place.
If you have sport seats when you switch the cushions the controls go to the opposite sides, outside becomes inside and inside becomes outside

Last edited by floridamale; 11-22-2009 at 02:27 PM.
Old 11-22-2009, 03:11 PM
electricfish
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Default seat exchange

I swapped my cushions (92 vert, std seats) and it worked fine. The spring holding the back in place are kind of hard to release but feel around in there and it becomes obvious what needs to move.
Old 11-22-2009, 04:06 PM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Received 260 Likes on 239 Posts

Yup the PO of my car, always rode alone, and the driver seat was starting to show wear, do he swapped them before it got noticeable.

My driver seat is my passenger seat now.
Old 11-22-2009, 07:15 PM
Mr. Peabody
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 477 Likes on 353 Posts
C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by VinceC4
I have a 95 with sport seats, I didnt think about the controls...good thinking on your part.
Vince since you have a 95 with the late model sport seats like I do you can do one of two things.

First the easiest by far is to just unmount the seat cushion (there is a small clip on the front of the underside of the seat cushion) and just swap them from driver to passenger side. Once you unlock the clip you simply pull the cushion out from the front. There is nothing on the rear holding the cushion in. They are identicle and you cannot tell one from the other.

Second because you have the late model sport seats the "controls" are not on the seat itself but on the center console so swaping the entire seat frame from one side to the other is not as big a deal. Your car has only one air pump for both the driver and passenger seat and it is under the passenger seat. The air flows from the pump to each seat via a "T" fitting to dual air manifolds. If you are going to swap seat frames from side to side you want to first remove the seat cushions anyway so that you can carefully disconnect the air tubes running into each seat as well as the electrical connector. Be careful doing this. The air manifolds are plastic and are going to be brittle .... you don;t want to snap any of the nipples off of the manifold.
Old 11-22-2009, 07:18 PM
floridamale
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Mr. Peabody
Vince since you have a 95 with the late model sport seats like I do you can do one of two things.

First the easiest by far is to just unmount the seat cushion (there is a small clip on the front of the underside of the seat cushion) and just swap them from driver to passenger side. Once you unlock the clip you simply pull the cushion out from the front. There is nothing on the rear holding the cushion in. They are identicle and you cannot tell one from the other.

Second because you have the late model sport seats the "controls" are not on the seat itself but on the center console so swaping the entire seat frame from one side to the other is not as big a deal. Your car has only one air pump for both the driver and passenger seat and it is under the passenger seat. The air flows from the pump to each seat via a "T" fitting to dual air manifolds. If you are going to swap seat frames from side to side you want to first remove the seat cushions anyway so that you can carefully disconnect the air tubes running into each seat as well as the electrical connector. Be careful doing this. The air manifolds are plastic and are going to be brittle .... you don;t want to snap any of the nipples off of the manifold.
Great info from some one who has done them on your model year
Old 11-22-2009, 11:22 PM
dogfish246
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Is there a way to take the back part of the seat off and not the frame? I know the bottom part comes off easily with just the metal clip thing, but is there an easy way to get the other part of the seat off?
Old 11-23-2009, 05:13 AM
VinceC4
Pro

Originally Posted by Mr. Peabody

You hit it right on the head, the controls are in the center console, thanks for your help

Get notified of new replies

To Seats interchange?

Quick Reply: Seats interchange?