C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

my 1990 convertible

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 09:17 PM
jonzcustomshop
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my 1990 convertible

this is my first post, besides the intro.
by an odd windfall I have acquired a triple black 1990 convert!(check out my photo album for pics)
I built a 1926 ford T "rat" hot rod 3 years back, spent about $3500 on it and about 6 months of evenings and weekend labor on my part on it.
I had some fun with it, but quickly lost interest in the project. I have been trying to sell it off and on for a year or so now.
Last month I had it on craigslist for $5500, and had a few bites, and lots of offers to trade.
the last call I got was another trade,however this guy wanted to trade his corvette convertible for it!
done!!
the corvette is in great shape, itdoes have 100k on it, but dosen't really show.
It was a california car, so I suspect alot of those miles were from commuting.
in june of this year it had $1200 worth of wheels and tires put on it, some 95 zr1 wheels, and nitto tires(according to the tire shop recipt.)
I got the original window sticker with the car, 42K in 1990!-I can't even afford a car that expensive in 2009!- It shows the perferred equipment group 1, a/c ,bose music system, 6 way drivers seat.
removable hard top, which I did not get with the car, am/fmcd, which is long gone too, low tire pressure warning,sixway passenger seat, and an engine oil cooler.
the best option is last, the performance axle ratio for $22.00, which I understand is a 3:07, instead of the regular 2;41

This is my first time owning a corvette, and I have to say I just love driving it around, it makes me feel like I did in high school again, when I just drove around for fun!
I was 12 in 1984 when the "new" c4 came out, and I have always liked this body style, I just didn't realize how much until the last few weeks staring at my 1990 on the driveway!

The only major issue with this car is the "atari" speedo and fuel guage, and tachometer. the tach needle jumps to full when you start the car, and then just drops to zero after that, the lcd screen for the speedo and fuel lights up, but displays nothing.

I did some searching on this site for ideas on the instrument cluster problems, but I think I came out with more questions than answers.
according to the last oil change sticker, they were able to write down the mileage 6 months ago, the system hasn't been down long.
If any one has suggestions on where to start with the cluster I would love to hear them.
Old 10-11-2009, 06:22 AM
ZfidyONE-84
Melting Slicks

congrats on the car, nice to see another 90 roadster on here... i tried to look at the pics, but it said it didn't contain any images... i have a white ext./ black int. 90 with the hardtop. i sure would like to see pics
Old 10-11-2009, 07:23 AM
kenv
Le Mans Master

Location: levittown pa. usa Even a bad day with my `Vette, is better than a good day at work
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Welcome & good luck with your `Vette. There is a lot of advice on the "Atari" dash here on the forum, just use the search feature. & oh, you do know that you`ve acquired not only a fun car, but a four wheeled money pit, right
Old 10-11-2009, 07:50 AM
jonzcustomshop
Intermediate

I hear the money pit I was getting rid of the T because I didn't want to spend any more money on it, and I have now spent more on the vette in the last week than I have on the T in the last year!, I do like this much better, though.

I couldn't get pics to upload on that bar right under my name, but if you go to my user profile, and then scroll down to the photo albums, I have some pics there.
Old 10-11-2009, 03:17 PM
ZfidyONE-84
Melting Slicks

good looking car, are you gonna try, and locate a herdtop for it? i just got one for mine, and i love it, but it does take 2 people to remove it
Old 10-11-2009, 08:37 PM
jonzcustomshop
Intermediate

yes at some point I would like to find one I have been looking at hemmings, but I guess they are not that common, there was only 1 available in the last 2 issues, a buddy of mine mentioned one on the mt craigslist earlier this year, so I will just be paitent.
Old 10-11-2009, 09:04 PM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by kenv
Welcome & good luck with your `Vette. There is a lot of advice on the "Atari" dash here on the forum, just use the search feature. & oh, you do know that you`ve acquired not only a fun car, but a four wheeled money pit, right
but a 90 does not have the atari instrument cluster.

Nice vette! enjoy

Last edited by ch@0s; 10-11-2009 at 09:16 PM.
Old 10-11-2009, 09:08 PM
RedVette84
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 10-11-2009, 10:39 PM
ZfidyONE-84
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by jonzcustomshop
yes at some point I would like to find one I have been looking at hemmings, but I guess they are not that common, there was only 1 available in the last 2 issues, a buddy of mine mentioned one on the mt craigslist earlier this year, so I will just be paitent.
yeah, best bet is to keep your eyes open on craigslist, and swap meets, i found mine on the seattle craigslist, i had to drive almost 700 miles to get it, but its well worth it

also sometimes here on the forums they come for sale, or smoothline makes a hardtop, but i have seen the difference between a factory hardtop,a nd a smoothline top, and i would spend my money on the factory
Old 10-11-2009, 11:56 PM
ZfidyONE-84
Melting Slicks

hey, wanted to pass this along to you, its a couple hour roadtrip from ya

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/pts/1410641728.html
Old 10-12-2009, 01:53 AM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Received 260 Likes on 239 Posts

I sold my coupe and bought a vert to have a hardtop, it took 3 years to find the right hardtop.

I LOVE IT
Old 10-12-2009, 11:21 PM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

Received 677 Likes on 347 Posts

Nice car man!

I have a 94 convertible 6-speed. It is bright aqua metallic and 6-speed. ITs a lot of fun to take the top down and cruise
Old 10-13-2009, 08:03 AM
jonzcustomshop
Intermediate

Thanks for the link on the top, That is about 1200 cheaper than the last 2 I heard about..
time to start saving$$ maybe by the time I have enough I will find a black one!

I had been wondering why my car came with the ratchet in the console, I am guessing it was for the hardtop.
Old 10-13-2009, 06:56 PM
ZfidyONE-84
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by jonzcustomshop
Thanks for the link on the top, That is about 1200 cheaper than the last 2 I heard about..
time to start saving$$ maybe by the time I have enough I will find a black one!

I had been wondering why my car came with the ratchet in the console, I am guessing it was for the hardtop.
i was wondering why mine had a spot for one, and i had torx bolts in the header panel

Get notified of new replies

To my 1990 convertible

Quick Reply: my 1990 convertible