Old 10-04-2009, 06:29 PM
robertpel9
Safety Car

Received 173 Likes on 47 Posts

Default Looking for some C4 selling advice

CAR SOLD @ $6400

I have my C4 for sale here and on ebay and craigslist. Here is the forum ad

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4s-...post1571712194

The lowest I can see going is $5900 FIRM but I keep getting calls with people wanting to buy it for $5000 - I just can't se letting it go for that. Not that they are super rare but you really don't find many early C4's Z51 with 4+3 everything working well sorted out, documented original cars

Am i way off with pricing - Considering the condition this seems like a no brainer at this price. I would be interested in our thoughts.

We sold our SL500 and bought another C5 Z06 as once the baby came the SL never got used much anymore so I just wanted a Fun car for me. I never thought I would sell it in the first place as the reason I bought it was because of it's cleanliness and originality to keep for the long haul I can't see having 3 cars for myself anymore 2 of which no one else in the fam ever gets to ride in let alone drive and I also am now traveling about 40% for work so it just seems logical to let her go. I will not give her away though.

I know this may not be a quick sale price but is it at least in the ballpark? I hate to even do $5900 as my bottom as I think it is easily a $6500 car but I also understand that the market is the market

Interested in what you all think.

Robert

Last edited by robertpel9; 10-07-2009 at 10:35 PM.
Old 10-04-2009, 06:47 PM
mrmtrtrnd
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

First let me say what a beautiful car that is. In my opinion for a car of that caliber it isn't over priced. I know most people want to give next to nothing for cars these days. If it was my car I would hold out for someone that knows what you have and they would be happy to get it for that price.
Old 10-04-2009, 06:54 PM
Z51JEFF
Race Director

Received 643 Likes on 420 Posts
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Modified

That is a beautiful car and the best color for the early cars.If you have to give it away Id just sit on it for awhile.
Old 10-04-2009, 07:26 PM
robertpel9
Safety Car

There is no monetary need to sell it just want the space so I won't give it away

I guess my questions is would the $5900 - $6500 range be overpriced, giving it away or a fair and reasonable price????
Old 10-04-2009, 07:28 PM
robertpel9
Safety Car

The previous owner did the following right before i bought it

New
Carpet
dash condole plates
Steering Wheel / Horn
Billy Boat Exhaust
New Digital Dash (Not Refurbed but brand new)

I have the receipts for all of this work

I have gone thru it mechanically and done the following in the last 600 miles and 6 months

New rear wheel bearings

Full Service of tranny (OD works flawlessly, etc)

New battery

4 wheel Road Force Balance and Alignment

New black seat covers (left original cloth as pictured underneat to preserve it

Throttle Position Sensor

AC Service

Brake System Flush

New Center Console Cushion

Car has 81k miles with all original documentation including window sticker, build sheet and manuals. It is a well documented original car and as you can see from the pics is a 9/10. The only thing left to do in my mind is fix the drivers door panel which can sag from time to time.

Baby not included

Robert
Old 10-04-2009, 07:56 PM
leadshred
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think its in great shape, not overpriced at all, i got my 86 4+3 for $3400, but it was a little beat, so i think you're right on the money
Old 10-04-2009, 07:58 PM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

I like the car its very nice.
If you dont have to sell it hang onto it until the right buyer comes along. I think $5900 is resonable and your car looks great.
Good Luck
Old 10-04-2009, 08:35 PM
corvetteronw
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 247 Likes on 200 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

As someone who is looking for another C4 I will tell you what an informed buyer does. (at least in my case)
I am not pulling the trigger right now as I will not have my cash together until Jan 2010.
I am building a file though and expect to have about a dozen cars that fit my wants and needs by that time.
Craigslist is a gold mine. There are an incredible number of C4s for sale there. The problem is that you have to wade through a pile of junk and screwed-with cars in order to ferret out a good one. You have to do that for each area in each state too. It is a lot of work.
The same goes for the online cars-for-sale sites and Ebay.
If a buyer is searching for 1984 to 1991 cars then you have to realize that there were one quarter million of them produced. If you remove the B2K and the LT5 cars (5,602 built during that era) it still leaves a lot of cars to choose from.
Let's say that 10% are no longer on the road and maybe 5% of those left are for sale during any year. That means there are 10,000+ C4s from this era that are for sale. Heck, even if I am way off there have got to be a minimum of 5,000 for sale.
Craigslist seems to only allow for 4 pictures. If you are selling there then find out what is needed in order to post more and larger pictures.
Your son is cute but leave him out of the pictures. (sorry).
I don't think price is the issue with your car. Educate the uninformed buyer about the 1985's desirability. Emphasize that the 1985 Corvette is one of the least complicated C4s to own. Print up information from Mike Antonick's C4 book - it is a treasure trove. Massive amounts of pictures help too. Emphasize that that a majority of the problem areas with C4s have been fixed or fanatically maintained on your car. The 4+3 is perceived
as a problem area. Dig up Chris Petris' article on the 4+3 as it is excellent and proves this to be a solid piece if it is maintained properly.
Point out that most 87 and 88 Callaway's used this transmission with twin turbochargers pushing massive amounts of torque through it.
Large pictures in good light and many, many, many of them will help too.
The car looks good but even so, consider a professional detailing before you take those photos.
On Ebay offer to drive the car to where ever the (48 state) buyer lives At NO COST to them. This is a big plus for the buyer and lets them know that it is a reliable car.
There are a few buyers that will hate the color and that will want an automatic but you can't please everyone. Shoot, there are guys that are uncomfortable with tall, leggy blondes and prefer fat women!
Just be patient - your buyer is out there. Give it some time as it is an excellent car and being sold by a trusted member of the Corvette community.
G' luck mate!
Old 10-04-2009, 08:51 PM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by corvetteronw
As someone who is looking for another C4 I will tell you what an informed buyer does. (at least in my case)
I am not pulling the trigger right now as I will not have my cash together until Jan 2010.
I am building a file though and expect to have about a dozen cars that fit my wants and needs by that time.
Craigslist is a gold mine. There are an incredible number of C4s for sale there. The problem is that you have to wade through a pile of junk and screwed-with cars in order to ferret out a good one. You have to do that for each area in each state too. It is a lot of work.
The same goes for the online cars-for-sale sites and Ebay.
If a buyer is searching for 1984 to 1991 cars then you have to realize that there were one quarter million of them produced. If you remove the B2K and the LT5 cars (5,602 built during that era) it still leaves a lot of cars to choose from.
Let's say that 10% are no longer on the road and maybe 5% of those left are for sale during any year. That means there are 10,000+ C4s from this era that are for sale. Heck, even if I am way off there have got to be a minimum of 5,000 for sale.
Craigslist seems to only allow for 4 pictures. If you are selling there then find out what is needed in order to post more and larger pictures.
Your son is cute but leave him out of the pictures. (sorry).
I don't think price is the issue with your car. Educate the uninformed buyer about the 1985's desirability. Emphasize that the 1985 Corvette is one of the least complicated C4s to own. Print up information from Mike Antonick's C4 book - it is a treasure trove. Massive amounts of pictures help too. Emphasize that that a majority of the problem areas with C4s have been fixed or fanatically maintained on your car. The 4+3 is perceived
as a problem area. Dig up Chris Petris' article on the 4+3 as it is excellent and proves this to be a solid piece if it is maintained properly.
Point out that most 87 and 88 Callaway's used this transmission with twin turbochargers pushing massive amounts of torque through it.
Large pictures in good light and many, many, many of them will help too.
The car looks good but even so, consider a professional detailing before you take those photos.
On Ebay offer to drive the car to where ever the (48 state) buyer lives At NO COST to them. This is a big plus for the buyer and lets them know that it is a reliable car.
There are a few buyers that will hate the color and that will want an automatic but you can't please everyone. Shoot, there are guys that are uncomfortable with tall, leggy blondes and prefer fat women!
Just be patient - your buyer is out there. Give it some time as it is an excellent car and being sold by a trusted member of the Corvette community.
G' luck mate!
That's good advice but if I had to drive across the US to sell a car they better put me up in a suite and give me 1K more.
Old 10-04-2009, 09:10 PM
JackDidley
Race Director

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts

Nice car. Hold out for your price. In time it will be worth more.
Old 10-04-2009, 10:01 PM
corvetteronw
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 247 Likes on 200 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Here is a comparable car close to me but not nearly as nice. If one were to buy this one instead of yours they would have to put in quite a bit of money to make it as nice. Also it is an A4 and not a Z51 as far as I can tell.
http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/cto/1359748400.html
Old 10-04-2009, 10:27 PM
JD'S WHITE 93
Le Mans Master

Received 1,332 Likes on 674 Posts

I have found when selling a Corvette you are better off to start out asking for more than you really want. Perception is everything and people seem to like haggling price so they THINK they got a deal. I would ask $7500.00 for it if I had to have $5900.00 and include dozens of detailed pictures. I've also found your better off to play stupid when selling a car. I wouldn't get into what's new or been replaced, you'll sell it faster by playing stupid and putting up lots of pics of the car. I might be a Dick when I sell something but I get what I want for my stuff.
When I sell mine I won't say a damned thing about the new carpet, looks original to me, seats look original to me too Wow look the nose has no chips in it "been repainted" shhhh... sometimes you can TMI and sabotage your own sale. I wouldn't sell it on here though, too many "experts" Good Luck
Old 10-04-2009, 11:28 PM
samsonb
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Damn, I guess I need to skip the paint on mine if it is gonna sell for half of what I paid for it 2 years ago. Haha.
Old 10-04-2009, 11:39 PM
littlesk8cracker
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

i just bought my vette a month ago, and no one believes i only payed 9k for it. imo, i think youd have better luck trying to sell it to someone who doesent know vettes all that well. i dont mean to sound like an a**hole, but people just dont realize how cheap these cars are. if you tell someone who wants a cool car that you just wanna get rid of it and your only asking 6k, theyll probablly be thinking wow 6k for a corvette sounds great!
Old 10-05-2009, 12:04 AM
yaknow
Le Mans Master

Received 222 Likes on 154 Posts

I saw your ad a couple of days ago and thought, nice car, great price. Hang in there.
Old 10-05-2009, 12:14 AM
neverendingprojects
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If there is no need to sell it, I would hold onto it for a while...

It appears to be a very nice 85, but unfortunately there are not enough confident buyers out there at this time...

My honest opinion is that once the economy gets better and people aren't worried about losing their jobs, This car WILL SELL and you may get quite a bit more than your current asking price.
Old 10-05-2009, 02:26 AM
Eakster
Safety Car

Originally Posted by JD'S WHITE 93
I have found when selling a Corvette you are better off to start out asking for more than you really want. Perception is everything and people seem to like haggling price so they THINK they got a deal. I would ask $7500.00 f:

I would put it up for 6 1/2 and take 5900

I've never paid the asking price for a used car

Get notified of new replies

To Looking for some C4 selling advice

Old 10-06-2009, 07:17 PM
robertpel9
Safety Car

tons more pics added here and on the bay. I wont sell it for a penny under $5900 as the condition speaks for itself and I don't need the money so it will stay here until that amount or more comes my way. It's fun driving her once a week anyway.
Old 10-07-2009, 06:43 PM
RedVette84
Safety Car

Don't let them steal it from you. Keep trying and maybe you'll find a buyer that knows a good car and a good deal when he sees one. Otherwise I would keep it and sell it at a later date if you can. Good luck!
Old 10-07-2009, 07:00 PM
jimmac28
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RedVette84
Don't let them steal it from you. Keep trying and maybe you'll find a buyer that knows a good car and a good deal when he sees one. Otherwise I would keep it and sell it at a later date if you can. Good luck!

If you can wait.

Quick Reply: Looking for some C4 selling advice