Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Bought a vette or other car off ebay?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 03:07 PM
yosshimura
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Bought a vette or other car off ebay?

I'm am the first to always say, "don't buy off the internet without looking at it"... I did buy a Mercedes off Ebay a few years ago, but I traveled to look at it b4 buying... but now, I am finding my pool of potential C4's to buy very limited in my area .... and am seeing a lot of C4 for sale for monthsssss in other parts of the country... tempting..

Once I get to the point of "seriously" looking to buy (2Q10 or 3Q10), I am sure I might be able to find a forum member in the area to possibly look at it, but still...

What have been your experiences on this?
Old 09-18-2009, 08:29 PM
pkazsr
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In X Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

I have been lucky, Blazer on e-bay 600 miles away 4 years ago, cash deal. I use it as a DD. My 35th came from AutoTrader 500 miles away, also a cash deal. No problems just upgrades in the last 3 years. The guy didn't know what he had and let it go really cheap. When it comes time to replace Kathy's Cavalier I will look on-line again.
Old 09-19-2009, 01:10 AM
ZRWHAT
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Heres One to Stay Away From in Boston:

I bought a 69 c3 from a dealer in Boston Mass. about a year ago that goes by the name of Blvd Motors on ebay and car looked great in the ebay pics, I asked all the right questions and got nothing but good, reasonable answers back.

Turned out to be a friggin spray bomb nightmare! Intake painted silver to resemble a aluminum intake, overspray everywhere, motor painted orange and looked fresh in pics, was told the motor was a LT-1 from a corvette, Actually its a 2 bolt 71 chevelle 350 after checking numbers, It would hardly run the motor was so weak, radiator leaked like a water fountain, brakes consisted of 1 wheel stopping, the other 3 steel brake lines were pinched shut so the calipers would not leak! Oh yea, all new carpet I was told consisted of 2 front foot well areas, rest was dryrotted and moldy. Two of the U-joints had such bad caps that the needles were completly gone, the joing was actually wearing into the flange they were so bad. He also forgot to mention that the entire front clip was pieced back together and even the inner fenders were all glassed over, What a mess!

Asked how the frame was, oh, this ones great I was told by Mr. Hollander, he, with his vast knowledge just forgot to tell me about the LF frame horn that was dog patched after being hit and it was rusted through in that area. Front headlight assemblies were an abortion of sorts, someone tried to use electric window motors to make them go up and down, another friggin nightmare, headlight covers were made out of 1/4" plexi-glass and painted over, glued with what looks like liquid nails to the headlight assembly.

Sad part is this same guy is selling mega high dollar cars and knows what he has and knows corvettes, He goes by the name of Eric Hollander for those interested.

I was told it was a driver and could be used while freshening it up, now I know why they strongly suggested having the car transported, it would not have made it around the block. PS unit was bone dry, transport driver tried to stop the car as it was coming down the ramps and 1 wheel locked up and it kept going. Motor had 60-65 lbs of compression in 3 of the eight cylinders and smoked like hell, it was tired.

I tried talking to this guy but finally gave up after he stopped answering my calls (caller ID).

A lot of these issues I was unaware of until I could get the car up on a lift and boy what a royal turd and a half it turned out to be.

Mr. Hollander taught me a lesson that I will pass on that may save some folks money in the future! Don't take anyones word unless you can go inspect a car yourself or pay someone to check it out for you.
Boulevard got my money, don't give yours up as easily as I did mine.

Gibby 703 999-8471

Last edited by ZRWHAT; 09-19-2009 at 10:24 AM.
Old 09-19-2009, 08:34 AM
mikeb
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 80 Posts
2023 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C3 of the Year Winner - Unmodified

I bought a '79 Honda for my wife on ebay last year.
1000 miles away. The auction was $500.00 down payment immediately after winning the bid. I could have refused to pay the rest upon inspection/pick-up and forfiet the $500.
It's a chance you must be willing to take.
I paid the whole amont thru pay-pal, just in case there would've been a major problem. All-cash deals are not for me when thousands of $$ are at stake.

Although the guy I bought it from was somewhat dishonest (He was the mechanic of the original owner. Example: factory applied undercoating was actually a dealer applied tar spray, some bondo on front fender, guy said no body work was done-just touchup paint), the car was fairly much as described.

Old 09-19-2009, 09:34 AM
markKlein
Melting Slicks

Received 105 Likes on 90 Posts

I wouldn't buy anything without having a professional mechanic check it out first. The reason I wouldn't is because I did once.
Old 09-19-2009, 10:21 AM
RandyJ75
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07

I saw my car on Ebay, but went and looked at it and then drove it before buying it. I would never buy a used car sight unseen. That's what the forum is for, to help you out; if you see a car you like, see if someone in the area will go and look at it for you.

Randy
Old 09-19-2009, 10:48 AM
VetteMed
Le Mans Master

Received 215 Likes on 142 Posts

I bought my ZR-1 on ebay, but the price was low enough that I knew that as long as the LT5 was running at all, that I couldn't get hurt on the deal. As it turned out, sure, the car needed some things, but I still feel like I got a good deal.
Old 09-19-2009, 11:22 AM
coupeguy2001
Le Mans Master

Received 144 Likes on 106 Posts
2021 C4 of the Year - Modified Finalist

I bought a C5 from a Lexus dealer in Texas, my wife and I flew in and drove it home.
The good was it was exactly as described.
I had about 300 pics of the car, the paint is perfect, the interior is perfect and everything looks brand new......still........ with 45,000 miles on it.
I got it in writing that if the car was not as described and I was not satisfied with the car, they would pay for airline tickets home and refund my deposit. we bought it.
The bad:
1. They indeed put new tires on it, but they didn't match. Not a big deal, tires are like batteries, they get changed out over time. So what's on it don't match, but they could have put the same wheels back on in the same locations so the tire pressure monitors didn't have to be reprogrammed. Mostly, just not being familiar with the car. It didn't occur to me to find out why there were no pics of the front tires.
2. Someone replaced the left front fender, but the fender was painted off the car, and no overspray anywhere.
3.In 3 years of ownership I was able to discover that it had piston slap pretty bad, but only when it got down to zero degrees, and I live in Arizona, where that hardly ever happens.
I just have to chose wisely where I go in the winter.
4. there was a bad reverse lights switch that blew a fuse, and turned off the auto dim function in the mirrors. The switch was $15
5. The center console latch was tripped overcenter, and the console would not close all the way. flipping it with a small screwdriver fixed it.
6. It used oil at the rate of 1 quart every 1000 miles. After doing some research, if the engine was not allowed to break in properly, it would do that. My machinist friend offered that if I drove it like a grandma for 3000 miles, it would reseat the rings. I had the slowest C5 ever, but now the oil consumption is 1 quart every 5000 miles, and I drive it like I want.
Probably after 3 years, I can get close to my purchase price .......If I sell it in AZ, and it's not zero degrees or lower...........
In all fairness, they sold a nice car for a fair price. It came with 2 tops, which they could have sold one, came wired for a fuzz buster, the bottom of the car was cleaner than the rest of the car, it looked like it was never driven in the rain, the front spoiler had never been scraped, and I haven't spent any money on it since I got it exept to put drilled and slotted rotors on it with new pads which it didn't need......and a reverse swtch.
I put 25,000 miles on it.

they didn't describe enough. I didn't ask enough..but it's still a pretty nice car.

Last edited by coupeguy2001; 09-19-2009 at 11:26 AM.
Old 09-19-2009, 12:47 PM
Randy T
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did buy an 88 vert from a seller on E-Bay a couple of years ago. It was cheap enough to make up for the defects. I don't think they knew Corvettes and really didn't do a good job of representing it. I do believe they hid the fact that there was a battery drain issue which made it a bit difficult to get back home (to CO from LA area).

Also bought my 87 from a seller in WI. He was pretty straight with me, but not completely. I believe he intentionally covered up a couple of issues, but the car was otherwise as described. He also did not know Corvettes and did not know it was a Z52. I would have bought it anyway and the issues were relatively minor. I had the option, though, of getting back into my rental car and heading back to the airport.

There's a saying in the car business that "buyers are liars". Like most things, there is a lot of truth in that. My experience is that most sellers (not necessarily all) are also liars to some degree. I'd buy again on E-bay if the right car came up, but would reserve the option to get back into my rental (if it was long-distance) and fly home without it. Any deposit would, at that point, have to be returned to me since that would mean that the car I was looking at had been grossly misrepresented. That being said, I always expect some degree of misrepresentation (lying). That's just my experience in dealing with people, cars and money.

Last edited by Randy T; 09-19-2009 at 12:51 PM. Reason: add
Old 09-19-2009, 01:54 PM
Nick DL
Drifting

I picked mine up from Ebay. Is my car perfect, not at all, but I feel that I got it for a decent price for the year and miles on it. I took my chances and so far so good. It does have its issues that I need to deal with like an oil leak somewhere but I will get around to that. I would do an Ebay purchase again if the right car for the right price came along.
Old 09-19-2009, 02:30 PM
Completely Vetted
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are professional pre-purchase inspection companies. Some have a large national presence and others are just local guys who make a living doing inspections for folks from far away lands.

I have used both services and honestly have had better luck with the "local" guys. They are usually the same guys hired by the national companies but will get paid better by you for less money out of your pocket (cutting out the middle man).

When you find the car of your dreams, post it here on the forum, find the local club and call one of the officers of the club. They should know who would be good for a pre-purchase inspection in the area. Sometimes it is one of the members, but they will come with recommendations and good knowledge.

Good luck.
Old 09-19-2009, 03:17 PM
yankeefan121
Intermediate

i recently bought a 1986 coupe on ebay, well sort of. it was being auctioned by a ford dealer in delaware. i was the high bidder but no bids made the reserve price and the auction ended. i then called the seller to inquire how close i was to the reserve price and found out that i was only 1000 off. i mentioned that we could do a straight up sale and he would not have to pay the ebay fees and he sold it to me for my bid price. the key for me was that the seller linked the car fax to the ebay listing and that he had no problem with a mechanic inspecting it. he also gave a three month power train warranty. all of the above gave me the confidence in the sale. i gave him $500 cc over the phone and picked it up the next day with a certified check. overall it was a very clean and easy sale.
Old 09-19-2009, 03:42 PM
jabez
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by yosshimura
What have been your experiences on this?
Bought 2 corvettes off of Ebay

No issues at all but I understand sh*t can happen .
Old 09-19-2009, 04:43 PM
HOOBS
Burning Brakes

I bought a 94 vert off ebay and when i recieved it sight unseen it had more issues than the owner had initially stated my advice is if you talk to the person on the phone or via email ask ask ask ask ask, questions are free! And make certain you copy every question and answer that you are givin pertaining the car. good luck!
Old 09-19-2009, 04:52 PM
chatham
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

i have purchased many any things off of EBay from stereo equiipment, cameras, jewelry and cars. as with anything i do, i research it first and move forward. here are the cars i have purchased for myself and others from EBay

1993 Audi 100CS beautiful car in dallas
2001 Audi A6 4.2 V8 fabulous car in NJ
1995 Jeep Cherokee denver
1999 Jeep Cherokee denver
2000 Jeep Cherokee denver
1993 C4 maine
2002 Seville STS milwaukee
1990 Frod Bronco II denver

all cars are exactly what i thought they were and exactly as advertised. the best buy was the STS paid $5k for it and could sell it locally for 8-9. it was a repro just after the financial crash last fall and no one bid but me.
Old 09-19-2009, 05:53 PM
MK 82
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Bought this car on Ebay about 3 years ago sight unseen. It was, however still under warranty. It's been a great car. Wife's car but I enjoy it. 30 MPG.

2004 XJ8 Vanden Plas

Last edited by MK 82; 09-19-2009 at 06:00 PM.
Old 09-19-2009, 05:57 PM
MK 82
Melting Slicks

Bought this car on Auto Trader sight unseen. Purchase was subject to inspection. Flew from Palm Beach to Charlotte to get it. It has been a great car. LT4. Puts a smile on my face every time I drive it. More pics in my Garage.

Last edited by MK 82; 09-19-2009 at 06:01 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Bought a vette or other car off ebay?

Old 09-19-2009, 06:05 PM
MK 82
Melting Slicks

You bought it without an inspection or putting it on a lift? Then you got what you deserve. There is one born every minute!

Originally Posted by ZRWHAT

A lot of these issues I was unaware of until I could get the car up on a lift and boy what a royal turd and a half it turned out to be.

Mr. Hollander taught me a lesson that I will pass on that may save some folks money in the future! Don't take anyones word unless you can go inspect a car yourself or pay someone to check it out for you.
Boulevard got my money, don't give yours up as easily as I did mine.

Gibby 703 999-8471
Old 09-19-2009, 09:54 PM
ZRWHAT
Drifting

Originally Posted by MK 82
You bought it without an inspection or putting it on a lift? Then you got what you deserve. There is one born every minute!
Your right, I got taken, point was, I paid 9K for a 69 427 coupe with a small block sitting in it. I asked all of the questions one would ask pertaining to a c3, was told how nice it was and how good the frame was, my bad for trusting the POS who sold it to me.

Had the car shipped due to heavy work schedule.

I've done many ebay deals, most of which have been spectacular, bought more then a dozen cars there as well, 5 were Corvettes.

I posted my ordeal to let anyone who may consider making a purchase from this shyster to think again as money is the motivating driver for this guy, not the truth.

He'd probably sell the teeth out of his mothers head if he thought he could make a buck from them.

Just trying to keep another one from being born is the purpose of my post.

Thanks for your reply...
Old 09-19-2009, 10:15 PM
Vette Daddy
Le Mans Master

Received 95 Likes on 45 Posts

I bought a 1990 six speed coupe for $5500 this Spring. I have been driving the car all summer with no issues. Nice car for $5500.

I originally bought it to use as a donor car for my race car. I needed the divetrain and some body panels. Started driving it and had to put plates and insurance on it. I have since bought most of the pcs for my race car.

Still driving the ebay purchase.

Quick Reply: Bought a vette or other car off ebay?