Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

harmful to vert top to keep it down constantly?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 03:59 PM
GatorGreg
Racer

Received 205 Likes on 86 Posts

Default harmful to vert top to keep it down constantly?

Hey guys, just wondering if there's any harm to the vert top and/or plastic rear window if I were to keep the top down basically permanently (except when I wash the car of course). The owner's manual just says to help protect the interior of the car from the elements you should keep the top up and it also says not to lower it if wet. But assuming I only put the top down when dry is there any harm to the top by leaving it down a lot?

I've had other convertibles in the past and sometimes the owner's manuals will say to keep the top up whenever possible so that the top will better keep it's shape, etc. But I don't see any such statement in my vette manual like that. Is it still a good idea to keep the top up even if it's garaged? Reason I ask is because it looks so much cooler sitting in my garage with the top down
Old 09-01-2009, 04:53 PM
Bimmervet
Melting Slicks

Received 89 Likes on 64 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by GatorGreg
Hey guys, just wondering if there's any harm to the vert top and/or plastic rear window if I were to keep the top down basically permanently (except when I wash the car of course). The owner's manual just says to help protect the interior of the car from the elements you should keep the top up and it also says not to lower it if wet. But assuming I only put the top down when dry is there any harm to the top by leaving it down a lot?

I've had other convertibles in the past and sometimes the owner's manuals will say to keep the top up whenever possible so that the top will better keep it's shape, etc. But I don't see any such statement in my vette manual like that. Is it still a good idea to keep the top up even if it's garaged? Reason I ask is because it looks so much cooler sitting in my garage with the top down
KEEP THE TOP UP, even if it is garaged.
Old 09-01-2009, 05:59 PM
Riks40th
Drifting

Location: St. Louis, Mo......... 1993 Torch Red w/White Interior...2006-07 Bloomington Gold 2005-ZR1/C4 Gathering, 2001-2012 Funfest
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

....I don't have a vert, but I would think having the top down at all times would give the top lots of wrinkles....
And keeping the top up will keep the dust out of the interior when stored....

Rik
Old 09-01-2009, 07:18 PM
MK 82
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Leaving it down doesn't seem to hurt mine. The material does not hold wrinkles. Any wrinkles are stretched out immediately. My rear window is glass.

Last edited by MK 82; 09-01-2009 at 07:21 PM.
Old 09-01-2009, 08:46 PM
aboatguy
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by MK 82
Leaving it down doesn't seem to hurt mine. The material does not hold wrinkles. Any wrinkles are stretched out immediately. My rear window is glass.

Mine was down for more than 2 years

I popped it back up after I removed the hard top IOT install antenna

Still looks great pic is from 4th July weekend glass window too

Old 09-01-2009, 10:14 PM
rich653
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in Fla and the top stays down most of the time, every once in a while I put it up if it's to hot out or I want to wash the car, any wrinkles that are in it smooth out and looks as good as new. I think it's a toss up, there's pro's and cons so I think do what you want, I would mention that I replaced my vinyl top with a sta-fast fabric last year and if I still had the vinyl top I think I would put it up so the vinyl wouldn't crack in the folds......JMHO Love my vert!
Old 09-02-2009, 07:36 AM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Received 1,089 Likes on 658 Posts

Originally Posted by MK 82
+2 - Mine is up six months out of the year (Summer Inferno here in Florida) and down the other six months. Glass window is the only way to go!

I am not a tourist who I always see driving with the top down when it is 115 heat index
Old 09-02-2009, 08:53 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

With the vinly window, it's a good idea to fold a clean soft towel lengthwise and place it where the window folds before pushing the top down all the way. That will keep parts of the window safe from scratches. OEM C4 tops are fabric except for the white top which is vinyl.

On my old C4 vert, the biggest wear points on the cloth were where the fabric folded over the two hinges on the side bar. With the top down, that was a pinch point and the fabric is caught where the two pieces folded over each other.

If the car sits in a garage,you should at least raise the top and bring the forward edge to the windshield frame. That only takes a few seconds to do and the top can be lowered back down just as quickly. Doing that keeps the interior from getting too much dust inside.
Old 09-02-2009, 12:01 PM
GatorGreg
Racer

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
With the vinly window, it's a good idea to fold a clean soft towel lengthwise and place it where the window folds before pushing the top down all the way. That will keep parts of the window safe from scratches. OEM C4 tops are fabric except for the white top which is vinyl.

On my old C4 vert, the biggest wear points on the cloth were where the fabric folded over the two hinges on the side bar. With the top down, that was a pinch point and the fabric is caught where the two pieces folded over each other.

If the car sits in a garage,you should at least raise the top and bring the forward edge to the windshield frame. That only takes a few seconds to do and the top can be lowered back down just as quickly. Doing that keeps the interior from getting too much dust inside.
Thanks for all the great tips guys! I never really realized that the tops were made of different materials - mine is white vinyl. I decided to put the top back up last night after reading the earliest responses but now some of the later responses have me thinking it would be okay to leave it down but following Cruiser's advice with the towel to protect the plastic window.
I've gotten pretty fast at putting it up and down now so what I'll probably end up doing is just putting it down Friday night and enjoy it all weekend iwth the top down and then put it partially back up Sunday night as Cruiser described for the work week to keep the dust out.
Old 09-02-2009, 12:10 PM
MONTVALEGOLF
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '12, '15

Default Hard top

That's been my question as I am interested in getting a Convt Hard top for my 1993. I was told by keeping your top down for any length of time will cause the soft top to shrink. ??
Mike
Old 09-02-2009, 12:21 PM
GatorGreg
Racer

Originally Posted by MONTVALEGOLF
That's been my question as I am interested in getting a Convt Hard top for my 1993. I was told by keeping your top down for any length of time will cause the soft top to shrink. ??
Mike
Hmmm...shrinkage? Well I also have an '08 Jeep Wrangler and I've noticed that it's a lot easier to put up when it's warm/hot outside - so I think the vinyl does suffer a bit of shrinkage depending on the temperature. I'm mostly concerned though about wrinkles and creases, especially in my rear plastic window and I think cruiser's solution is a good idea for that.
Old 09-02-2009, 03:21 PM
96LT4
Team Owner

Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts
Former Moderator
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
CI3 Car Show Winner
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

Mike
Depends on the top...the white vinylt tops, I could see this, the cloth tops...doubt it.

I tend to leave my top down while driving and put it up when I'm not. Why? To keep people/animals/dust/dirt and crap out of the car.
Old 09-02-2009, 10:09 PM
aboatguy
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Mike
Mine stayed like this for a couple of years.......

Black canvas top

No problems
Old 09-04-2009, 02:47 PM
thebeerman
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I leave mine down most of the time. I would just add that if you have the vinyl window make sure you use a pillow.
Old 09-11-2009, 08:52 AM
ks5shooter
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13

Originally Posted by thebeerman
I leave mine down most of the time. I would just add that if you have the vinyl window make sure you use a pillow.

Get notified of new replies

To harmful to vert top to keep it down constantly?

Quick Reply: harmful to vert top to keep it down constantly?