What kinda tires are you guy's using

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 07:12 PM
RetiredSFC 97
Team Owner

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10, '14

Originally Posted by eagleye
I have GY Eagles on my 93 and Sumitomo's on my 89. I like the ride on the 89 better and the price was a lot better also. I paid $525 for all 4 mounted & balanced including the tax.
That was quite a price.
Old 08-28-2009, 07:32 PM
c69ss396
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Churchkey
About 6 months ago I installed Generals from tire rack. They are quiet & responsive.
90 coupe, Z51, fx3 6sp.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....el=Exclaim+UHP

I would buy them again.
Old 08-28-2009, 10:03 PM
mikeb
Team Owner

Received 177 Likes on 81 Posts
2023 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C3 of the Year Winner - Unmodified

Kelly Springfield EVO-Zs.
American made, Kelly is a Div owned by of Goodyear.
About $100.00 each. 275VR40-17s

Tread pattern pic,

Old 08-28-2009, 10:34 PM
aboatguy
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by SurfnSun
B/c the GSD3 is the best tire Ive ever had on a car. SUPER wide, extremely quiet, stick like glue and handle great in the rain. To me they are worth it.
Love them here in LA/MS but in Colorado they sucked in comparison to the Bridgestone Potenzas the GSD3s replace....(in the cold)

However, I need to find something that sticks a little better!

Mike
Old 08-28-2009, 10:56 PM
aboatguy
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mnstrlt1
A few things I want to point out here...

-Have you "actually" tried ALL the other sticky tire options BEFORE going to the GS-D3's? Or you simply used the GS-D3's from what you had heard (please be honest).

-I also assume that your vette' is not necessarily a daily driver? A tire is a wear item (of course), and unless you've got the income to blow through $400 dollar tires, it simply doesn't make economical sense on a daily driver (I'd be too nervous to spin my tires because of the cost here...lol).

-I didn't say it was a bad tire either, I simply said for the money, I'd get something else (on a daily driver). $1200 dollars is (for me and the average c4 owner) A LOT of money! Think of it as a business scenario, it's a deminishing rate of return after a certain point. "Is the GS-D3 truely twice as awesome as the leading $200 dollar tire"?

-most guys I've seen with GS-D3's tend to have them on the car for YEARS because the car is (some may argue) a garage queen. Only showing up to car shows and some events were the GS-D3's tend to get the attention of the on-looker. At that point, the tire (sitting so long) will loose it's stickiness and it's all about looks after that. Kinda like women getting brand-name stuff for the sake of saying they have it.

Just my opinion of course.
I drive my vette and wrench on it too. I've seen/see too many cheap tire owners spinning and sliding into the woods during the rains here.....

However, I know my GSD3s are not the end all in hook however, I have a little more hp than stock. I'd switch to a stickier tire if they would handle in the rain same or better than the GSD3s and kept there composure at high speed. (lets say 160-170 ish)
As for the Kumho/sumo/add your favorite here.....They hook even worse, I talked a buddy into replacing his newish Kumhos with a better tire, and now he drives his car in the RAIN, as a matter of fact he says that he is not spinning as much either. He bought bridgestone potenzas (my tire before the GSD3) Honestly I'm looking for replacements even though there is still plenty of tread on the goodyears because I know they will be gone before I know it. I may keep the GSD3s (doubtful since supply in my sizes seems to have dried up a couple of years ago), try the Firestones since they have good reviews or go back to Potenzas.

However, tires are a consumable like gas. Some folks try to save a couple of bucks and run cheap tires and using the same thought process you might as well run 87 in your 12.1:1 compression engine knowing it is OK as long as you nurse it along, but you have to hope that it doesnt detonate if you do push the limits.

As much and as hard as I drive my vette my GSD3s will be replaced way before they get hard or a single dryrot crack in the sidewall. They will be as bald as Ving Rhames or Vin Diesel.
I was looking into the Nittos and they don't seem to last as long or handle rain as well as the GSD3s
Mike

Last edited by aboatguy; 08-28-2009 at 11:00 PM. Reason: added /see
Old 08-29-2009, 09:40 AM
Billy Stargazer
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by slamin1
Sumitomos HTR ZII
have them too for 4 years now awesome tires great in rain too
Old 08-29-2009, 11:01 AM
Vette Fast
Racer

GS3 F1
Old 08-29-2009, 11:07 AM
RedLS1GTO
Race Director

Received 42 Likes on 9 Posts

Old 08-29-2009, 02:51 PM
mnstrlt1
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by aboatguy
I drive my vette and wrench on it too. I've seen/see too many cheap tire owners spinning and sliding into the woods during the rains here.....

However, I know my GSD3s are not the end all in hook however, I have a little more hp than stock. I'd switch to a stickier tire if they would handle in the rain same or better than the GSD3s and kept there composure at high speed. (lets say 160-170 ish)
As for the Kumho/sumo/add your favorite here.....They hook even worse, I talked a buddy into replacing his newish Kumhos with a better tire, and now he drives his car in the RAIN, as a matter of fact he says that he is not spinning as much either. He bought bridgestone potenzas (my tire before the GSD3) Honestly I'm looking for replacements even though there is still plenty of tread on the goodyears because I know they will be gone before I know it. I may keep the GSD3s (doubtful since supply in my sizes seems to have dried up a couple of years ago), try the Firestones since they have good reviews or go back to Potenzas.

However, tires are a consumable like gas. Some folks try to save a couple of bucks and run cheap tires and using the same thought process you might as well run 87 in your 12.1:1 compression engine knowing it is OK as long as you nurse it along, but you have to hope that it doesnt detonate if you do push the limits.

As much and as hard as I drive my vette my GSD3s will be replaced way before they get hard or a single dryrot crack in the sidewall. They will be as bald as Ving Rhames or Vin Diesel.
I was looking into the Nittos and they don't seem to last as long or handle rain as well as the GSD3s
Mike

umm... if you're regularly driving in the rain and blasting to 160+MPH than "maybe" I can justify the GS-D3's! lol....

For the OP, we're trying to direct him to a good tire that will satisfy his needs.

Keep in mind, NO tire does EVERYTHING well. You give up tread wear for good grip, you give up dry grip for wet weather etc.

As stated (several times) the GS-D3 is a great tire, I'm just tired of hearing it as an option when someone clearly doesn't want to drop $1200 dollars (not including install) on a set of tires. I think you nailed it that it's not the "end all be all" of tires.
Old 08-29-2009, 02:53 PM
mnstrlt1
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by redls1gto

even these (in a 17) are cheaper than the GS-D3's LOL...
Old 08-29-2009, 03:24 PM
Eakster
Safety Car

Another vote here for Firehawk Wide Ovals.

I did a lot of research before I got these. My first choice was the GS D3's but they were significantly more expensive than the Firestones. I actually prefer the look of the tread pattern on these - I don't like the more modern patterns on my old C4! Also in 285/ 17's the choice is quite narrow these days.

I'd say these are lower mid-range in terms of price, but are high mid-range in terms of performance. Huge difference from my old KDWS but they were completely worn out and also were all-season tires.

Depends how you like to drive. I liked the KDWS's because I could easily get the rear end out on command, but had no confidence on mountain roads accelerating out of corners. Stickier tires are less fun in some ways, but much safer.

cheers
Old 08-29-2009, 03:33 PM
tblt44
Drifting

I have the GS d3's but they were put on by the previous owner.I really don't wana pay that much for new one's.They are weathered hard and slight cracking
Old 08-29-2009, 04:15 PM
M.J.L.
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11

I just bought a set of 4 Nittos for 800 dollars. NOT impressed....I should have stuck with the BFG I had. Love BFGs....

Bottom line, tires are important to me. Don't go cheap.

Tires I like: BFG and Michelin

Tires I don't like: Good year, Kuhmo, Nitto, Dunlop.

BFGs hook up good, wear good, great ride!
Old 09-12-2009, 12:40 AM
vettefast
Drifting

Originally Posted by Vette Fast

GS3 F1

Pretty....but will never stand up against a set of BFG Drag radials!!!! Ask Vette Fast how we both know from expearance!!!
Old 09-12-2009, 01:07 AM
coupeguy2001
Le Mans Master

Received 144 Likes on 106 Posts
2021 C4 of the Year - Modified Finalist

I use different brands to get what I want. smooth ride and sticky corner carvers.
Dunlop direzza 101's on the front, really smoothes out the bumps. My car ('86) rode worse than my 57 chevy truck! I went to the Dunlops in the front and the Sumitomo htz II in the rear. I noticed the smoother ride and the sticky cornering right off. now it's Pretty normal to do 90 degree corners at 30 instead of 15 mph .

btw, I have another set of fronts for $250
Old 09-12-2009, 08:05 AM
tblt44
Drifting

Well I have narrowed my choice to the kelly springfield or thr firestone wide oval.I can get either around here for 750 -800 bucks
Old 09-12-2009, 08:37 AM
ps374
Melting Slicks

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Yokohama tires. AFFORDABLE and no complains. Good traction no tire noise.

Get notified of new replies

To What kinda tires are you guy's using

Old 09-12-2009, 10:22 AM
Weav's Vet
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 95wht6spd
Verdesteins (sp?), very good on all counts. 275/295x18
I just wish they had a 305 or 315/18, so I might switch to something wider for the rear next time. They do have a 315 in 17s I think.
No hijack intended but would you buy them again? I looked at these about a year ago. Ended up with Suminis. Now they are noisy and don't hold for ****.
Old 09-12-2009, 12:06 PM
mako41
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Weav's Vet
No hijack intended but would you buy them again? I looked at these about a year ago. Ended up with Suminis. Now they are noisy and don't hold for ****.
I have the Vredestein Sessanta's on my '89, 275/40R17's all around, which is a little different than the sizes you guys with newer C4's need, but I would definately buy these tires again. They stick like glue in the dry and really throw out the water in the rain. Excellent tire! Not as square shouldered or quite as wide as the Goodyears in the same size, but they ride much smoother. They can be cross rotated for longer treadwear (not unidirectional) ~ much better than the Sumi's you have now at about the same price. You will love these tires, Check 'em out!
Old 09-12-2009, 12:50 PM
zaragoza
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14

GS-D3's

Quick Reply: What kinda tires are you guy's using