Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Anyone having as much trouble as me?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 02:31 PM
FatherTime
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone having as much trouble as me?

What should I do? I started a for sale thread (ours for $7500) because of another stay in the hospital for my boy... He's better now, but if you haven't gone in the for sale forum;

Here's the story... I described it as used, but runs and drives great! 147K miles- not perfect! $7500

DAY 1-
Potential buyer gives me a lowball offer, saying "Will you take $6500 cash in hand. Call me at..."

I call his phone number. He says it's exactly what he's looking for, but he lives on the east coast. He wants to fly out, pick it up and drive it back from MN. I asked how soon- He replies "By this weekend"...
I told him "We REALLY need the money, so $6500 is ok- but for that price the wife said I'll have to remove my sub and amps. It's REALLY loud!"
I asked if he read all my threads about this car, the stereo, and all the things i've fixed with the help of this community, etc. He said he saw some of them.

I said if he wanted, he could throw in an extra few hundred for the amps and sub set-up He said he doesn't need a booming system. He's tight on cash too- but wanted something to listen to on the way back. I agree, a 1,000 mile trip with no tunes would SUCK! I mentioned I have some old speakers I can put in it at least- nothing fancy, but sounds ok.... We talk some more and say goodbye.

DAY 2-
So I assumed that meant I could take out my system in the back- He calls and asks how to pay. I suggest Postal Money Order. He offers to send $1000. I say "No, $500 will hold it until you get here."

DAY 3-
He sends one out -emailing me a picture of it filled out to me, saying "here it is. consider it sold". I came up and pulled my listing here, there, and everywhere! (I tried a few other forums, craigslist, etc. and had some interest locally- but nobody with the $7500 cash up front.)

DAY 4-
I look everywhere, and can't find my old speakers... OK- sat and looked at the car- I do NOT want to rip apart the dash, and the back end- This will take a day and a half
I call and email him some pics of the set-up as is now-

I tell him the wife won't let the system go for under $500- she's pissed that it's going for $6500! (we're losing about $5K in the past year for this vette ) But medical bills and another kid on the way forced us to sell...

I ask if he wants to throw in the $500- or else it will look like this- with some cheap carpeting to get him by.

DAY 5-
I call him, he can't make it out this weekend, may have to ship it...

I make him go check the email-pm pics. And I explain the sub/amp system to him. Rockford Phosgate Amps, Sub, Etc... LOUD and CLEAR!
He sees the before and after pics and says "No I bought the car like it was- you can't change it now! Send me the $500 back and lets just forget it"

I said "No, you said it wasn't a big deal about the stereo... NOW IT IS??? "
After 10 minutes of "you said this- you said that" I got upset, I finally hung up... F^CK IT!

He calls back, and we both calm down... and agree that I'll keep the sony head unit + front speakers in the car, and put in speakers in the back... but he's not getting the amps and sub.
Wondering- i thought- WHAT ELSE could be a deal breaker?
I took this video while talking to him on the phone...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzM1R800-3Q
and this one at the same time...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xvxZre2d20
Concerned about the appearance, he asks if I could leave the AMP/Sub Box/structure. But doesn't want the holes in the top of the board.... I agree to get another board, and vinyl, and fix it so it looks the same and has decent sound.

I realized we didn't have a "bill of sale" yet, and he said "If I come out there and don't want the car, I will be out the airfare and the $500."

So he may not be out this weekend BUT HE's TRYING to make it either this weekend or next! And promises the rest of the cash, that is- If he really wants the car after he looks at it...

I've never sold across country, and he said airfare was expensive so he just may ship it. After hours on the phone, and emails, I thought he'd be a good buyer.

I went OUT Last night, Bought New 6 1/2" speakers to replace the back, and a 2ch 300W amp that will run all four speakers... just under $100 for the cheapest -decent things I could find!
(So the wife said we're really only getting $6400 now if you keep putting money into it!)

DAY 6-
I emailed him a walk around of the vette- showing paint chips, molding that needs repair on the doors, a little mark on the CEL panel... a screw coming out of the shifter boot in the front, and the ripping out procedure in progress.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6KkDLeCEms

No reply from him yet today...
----------------------------------------

Anyone else think this deal is ridiculous- or is it just me?

He said he had been a member here before, but hasn't been up here for a long time. I checked his posts (only has 1) -and he signed up on the day he pm'd me offering the money for the car... "Lurker"

---------------------------------------
How long do I give him?
Nothing is finalized and/or legal yet, but I want to do the moral thing.

Any help is appreciated! I've never had this much trouble with a sale, and I've sold over 40 cars in my lifetime!

BTW- The wife said "Chrysler is have a match $4500 to the CARS program- We could get $9000 in trade for the vette now! Pretty tempting!
(Only problem is we'd have another car payment - and we can't with another kid on the way! )

Anyone want a great vette for $7000 CASH - NO SHIPPING/NO BULL **** - nice new stereo!
Old 07-27-2009, 02:51 PM
flynn508
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This guy is yanking your chain. Send him back the $500 and move on. I dont think you can expect to recoup the money you have in the sound system, there just are not that many people looking to get into a vette that care that much about the stereo (maybe I'm making a broad generalization), but I dont even turn mine on, I like to listen to the engine! Before putting it on the market, I would have taken out the stereo and plopped in some cheap speakers and head just to get it by, and sell the stereo seperatly to someone who can appreciate it. After you take out the stereo, and put in something 'standard', sell the car "as is", it is a general legal term which will protect you from someone claiming that you ripped them off. Good luck with the sale and the family. Oh, and FWIW; I think your price is very fair and things are turning around a lot (econimic sentiment anyway), I would think you could find a legit buyer at that price.
Old 07-27-2009, 02:53 PM
pianoguy
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't have any experience with a long-distance deal like this, but sorry to hear about your troubles - hope it comes to a conclusion that makes everyone happy. And mojo to your son - hope he is better!
Old 07-27-2009, 02:56 PM
runner140*
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 282 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by flynn508
This guy is yanking your chain. Send him back the $500 and move on. I dont think you can expect to recoup the money you have in the sound system, there just are not that many people looking to get into a vette that care that much about the stereo (maybe I'm making a broad generalization), but I dont even turn mine on, I like to listen to the engine! Before putting it on the market, I would have taken out the stereo and plopped in some cheap speakers and head just to get it by, and sell the stereo seperatly to someone who can appreciate it. After you take out the stereo, and put in something 'standard', sell the car "as is", it is a general legal term which will protect you from someone claiming that you ripped them off. Good luck with the sale and the family. Oh, and FWIW; I think your price is very fair and things are turning around a lot (econimic sentiment anyway), I would think you could find a legit buyer at that price.
Good advice....
Old 07-27-2009, 03:01 PM
ARMAN72
Racer

Originally Posted by flynn508

I hope everything gets better with your son!
Old 07-27-2009, 03:03 PM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Received 260 Likes on 239 Posts

NO DEAL, he is a tire kicker, and he is not worth the trouble. I would never pull anything out that was for a deal until money is in fron tof me. You just can't trust people to make good decisions.

Tell him AS IS when you arrive PERIOD. If he wants more he pays full price. Or he puts mmoney in to mods like the rest of us, including you did to make it like he wants.
Old 07-27-2009, 03:20 PM
NJVette77
Drifting

The guy soulds like a jackass to be honest....I think you are being too nice with wanting to take the amp and subs out, put cheap speakers and or carpet there to make him happy but personally I think he should look to buy a car closer to him and you should try to sell yours closer to you. I'd advertise the car for say....$6800.00 with the system and that's it, no negotiating etc this way your wife will be happy with the deal but I think the fact that this guy knows you need to unload it that you'll just give it away and that certainly wouldn't happen here with me regardless of the circumstances.

Good luck seeling the car and try to sell it locally and get as much as you can.
Old 07-27-2009, 03:52 PM
FatherTime
Racer

Great advice guys... He just contacted me through email, and I replied like this-
$500 is non refundable deposit, bill of sale and payment do within 7 days.
As is.

Talking to him now on the phone, sounds like he still wants it... Saturday it may be gone!

Thanks for the help.
Old 07-27-2009, 04:59 PM
FatherTime
Racer

Look at that FACE = He's doing much better now!
We were outside some of today, until he crashed on the sidewalk. Another ouchy. Kids will be kids! We came in and washed it up... He still wants to play outside
Thanks for the prayers everyone!

Yes,
My buyer understands the problems with being 1000 miles away, but said by wednesday he will know what flight he'll take out on this Saturday... and we'll meet him at the airport.

I better send the wife out to meet him, so I can be safe at home with the vette and kids!

(She just got home, and didn't think that was funny!)
He sounds legit- maybe we're just being paranoid!

The amps and sub I've already taken out. The new ones are in, so if it falls through, it will still sell with a nice stereo... "AS IS!"
Again thanks!
Old 07-27-2009, 05:03 PM
mrmtrtrnd
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

First let me tell you that I hate it that your son was in the hospital, but glad to hear that he's doing better. I always loved your avatar picture of your son in the car, that is so cool.
I hope this guy isn't yanking your chain over this deal. We all know there are a lot of those guys out there. I bought a truck from a guy in New York and my vette from Arizona. From a guy that's been on the other side, there are guys out there that misrepresenting their cars. It's a scary deal to buy something for that amount of money you haven't seen in person. Both my car and truck weren't as advertised(but still turned good) and when I was in New York looking at it in person, I thought this guy is a jackass because this isn't as pristine as he said. This guy may be a real buyer but is afraid of what he's going to find when he gets there.A friend of mine here in town bought a truck out of state and they had a hard time working through their deal.
I hope this guy is the real deal and comes through for you. Sorry that you need to sell your car but I can see why. Good luck with the sell and your family.

Last edited by mrmtrtrnd; 07-27-2009 at 07:28 PM.
Old 07-27-2009, 06:15 PM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Received 260 Likes on 239 Posts

congrats, and hope it goes all the way through, either way you got aid 500 to rip out your stereo. LOL
Old 07-27-2009, 06:57 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

In this economy if you can get your asking price minus 1k you better grab it and run... Hope things work out for both of you. Sounds like the guy is negotiating, trying to find your bottom line is all. If hes a real buyer he wouldnt balk over some speakers .
Old 07-27-2009, 07:14 PM
CopperCorvette
Pro

Originally Posted by mrmtrtrnd
First let me tell you that I hate it that your son was in the hospital, but glad to hear that he's doing better. I always loved your avatar picture of your son in the car, that is so cool.
I hope this guy isn't yanking your chain over this deal. We all know there are a lot of those guys out there. I bought a truck from a guy in New York and my vette from Arizona. From a guy that's been on the other side, there are guys out there that misrepresenting their cars. It's a scary deal to buy something for that amount of money you haven't seen in person. Both my car and truck weren't as advertised(but still turned good) and when I was in New York looking at it in person, I thought this guy is a jackass because this isn't as pristine as he said. This guy me be a real buyer but is afraid of what he's going to find when he gets there.A friend of mine here in town bought a truck out of state and they had a hard time working through their deal.
I hope this guy is the real deal and comes through for you. Sorry that you need to sell your car but I can see why. Good luck with the sell and your family.
Old 07-27-2009, 11:37 PM
MK 82
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I feel your pain. I am trying to lease out one of my condos. You ask people what their credit is like. Oh, it's great. You tell them that they must agree to a credit check and never hear from them again. You agree to meet at a certain time to show it and never hear from them again.
Old 07-28-2009, 01:38 AM
FatherTime
Racer

Default more drama- just what I need!

Great replies. I didn't think of his side of it... that would suck if he got here and it was misrepresented. I did put MN in the title, and he has agreed to pay by this weekend. He assured me he knew what he was getting into, because he just sold his vehicle to another state.

Also- this was all contingent on his test drive-
If he got here and it was misrepresented, he wouldn't take it. I wouldn't want anyone taking a car that they don't want!

Obviously I want the best outcome for both of us and have done all I could.
He realized this and called but the wife left, and I fell asleep. So he left a message:
"Bought and paid for a ticket out on Saturday. It's paid for- is this time alright? let me know- it's paid for!" or something like that...

SO his FLIGHT IS PAID FOR! ....

about an hour later he called the wife -she refused to wake me up.

He said he was "Just making sure this time is ok because these tickets are going fast and I could of got one $50 cheaper if you answered last time... but Is this OK, just making sure before I pay for this one"

--- So his flight isn't paid for yet?

I gotta go to work.
God Bless!

I'm seeing a pattern here
Old 07-28-2009, 02:35 AM
Pwnage1337
Tech Contributor

Received 188 Likes on 141 Posts

So he paid for a ticket and then didn't know if he should buy a ticket or not?

Maybe he suffers from short term memory loss. that's what it sounds like to me.
Old 07-28-2009, 09:24 AM
flynn508
Pro

cute kid, I just took my son for his first ride in the vette last weekend (he is 4 and his booster fits fine in the front seat!!) He is already and official "car guy" and tells mommy that 'were cruzin for chicks'........now he wants to take the vette everywhere. God Bless your son for his health and happiness.

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone having as much trouble as me?

Old 07-28-2009, 12:49 PM
rick lambert
Le Mans Master

Glad your son is doing better

Yeah, guy was just negotiating, people best get used to it in this market. Takes alot of guts to buy anything over the phone even with pictures.

I , as a buyer would have negotiated even better than him...maybe even walked if I was shown the pictures without the stereo.....don't take offense, that's just me. And as a seller I would never have pulled the stereo, went out and spent money on something without making the earnest money non refundable.

Hope it all works out for ya.
Old 07-28-2009, 01:49 PM
floridamale
Safety Car

Originally Posted by rick lambert
Glad your son is doing better

Yeah, guy was just negotiating, people best get used to it in this market. Takes alot of guts to buy anything over the phone even with pictures.

I , as a buyer would have negotiated even better than him...maybe even walked if I was shown the pictures without the stereo.....don't take offense, that's just me. And as a seller I would never have pulled the stereo, went out and spent money on something without making the earnest money non refundable.

Hope it all works out for ya.
I have to say either offer the car as is or remove the stereo before listing it way less confussion that way
Old 07-28-2009, 02:38 PM
LT4 F45
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

i do have some trouble too when my 87 was for sale... lots of LOW offers thru e-mails lots of people wants everything but dont want to pay for it

Quick Reply: Anyone having as much trouble as me?