Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

"Am I the only guy that totally dislikes black out wheels"!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 01:50 AM
mnstrlt1
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default "Am I the only guy that totally dislikes black out wheels"!!!!

I don't know what "the trend" is with black out wheels, and I just can't get myself to "appreciate" them?

I've seen a ton of cars/trucks/suv's (especially of late) that sport these black out wheels? I don't get it? You get a fancy set of wheels, and you want to black them out? I can't figure out why someone would spend the bucks on aftermarket wheels if they want a black out look?

there is nothing "sleeper" about a high dollar set of wheels in black. it's almost like you went for the "shock value" of some "sick" wheels and decided to "hide them" (i.e., ccw/hre/fikse/forgeline/etc)?

you want black out wheels, get steelie's? lol...

wheels really set off the car, and don't get me wrong I like the style of most of these black out wheels that I see on corvette's (and other vehicles) expect for the color.

I really like different colors though. In the import scene (if it's a solid car, i.e. supra/s2k/rx7 etc) I don't mind seeing outrageous color combo's... or even on italian supercars (i.e. lambo's, ferrari's) with color matched wheels, or colors that complement each other, anodized etc.

share your opinions guys! What do you all think? And more importantly what is the justification behind the "color" you've chosen?

I don't mind gun-metal, bronze, etc ethier

Old 07-06-2009, 01:59 AM
Pwnage1337
Tech Contributor

Received 188 Likes on 141 Posts

I agree, but i think that they look good on some cars like white ones.
Old 07-06-2009, 02:09 AM
bdw18_123
Drifting

Location: Prather, California -1990 ZR-1 White/Flame Red- -SOLD!!-
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't much care for the "blacked out" look either. I've also noticed that this has become a trend as of late. Same as the "giant rims with rubber bands for tires" trend, which IMO looks absolutely retarded.
Old 07-06-2009, 02:26 AM
turbopezz
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Black with A polished lip is what I like,especially on A white car .
Different strokes for different folks,its what makes the world go round.
Old 07-06-2009, 02:31 AM
CedoNulli
Instructor

I like them over chromed wheels as they focus your attention on the car itself instead of the bright shiny mass wrapped in rubber.
Old 07-06-2009, 02:33 AM
lil_Mike
Pro

i used to be all for all blacked out wheels, but im kinda gettin sick of it too and i really dont like chrome though.
Old 07-06-2009, 03:16 AM
uptown193
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Black rims with a chrome, machined or polished lip looks awesome, sick and sexy on a Vette. What guys complaining about, you want chrome on everything? I also think that the rims would look good if it was the same color of ther car. You guys need to get some color in you life. Live a lil. Everyone should personalize their car as their liking. Your Vette looks good with those rims PRD Vette84, but i am sure everyone gets tired of their car wearing the same set of shoes after a few years.
Old 07-06-2009, 03:17 AM
Ratbagsmg
Instructor

I can't say I'm crazy about them either. You could almost get the same effect by never cleaning your wheels. For those who like 'em-more power to 'ya.
Old 07-06-2009, 03:32 AM
CedoNulli
Instructor

Here is my car with stock wheels... then the stock wheels in black. I think that saw blades look awesome im black.

And a pic of a forum members (can't remember who) car with black saw blades.

Old 07-06-2009, 04:29 AM
lil_Mike
Pro

thanx, i love my rims though. i do have another set of rims that are all black with a red lip but those have my slicks on them.
Old 07-06-2009, 05:22 AM
jimg's'93
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've never considered saw blades being blacked out, but they do look pretty slick. And I do like the look on some cars. IMO, chrome just doesn't look as good on most late model cars as it did on earlier (up to late '70s) models.

I'm leaning towards having my sawblades resurfaced and finished in a brushed aluminum with the inside openings done in black for a highlight.
Old 07-06-2009, 06:56 AM
frenchyoliver
Drifting

Originally Posted by jimg's'93
I've never considered saw blades being blacked out, but they do look pretty slick. And I do like the look on some cars. IMO, chrome just doesn't look as good on most late model cars as it did on earlier (up to late '70s) models.

I'm leaning towards having my sawblades resurfaced and finished in a brushed aluminum with the inside openings done in black for a highlight.
I agree. I am also having my sawblades resurfaced, checked and balanced, clearcoat taken off, redone in the center and polished lip, for the same exact stock look.

This cost me 200 € per wheel.... but it s way better than most of the cheap wheels I have seen, and Fiske s are damn expensives.
Old 07-06-2009, 07:16 AM
corvette-pilot
Le Mans Master

I've loved the black rims since the 80's on my 4x4s.
Totally HATE chrome of any kind
Old 07-06-2009, 07:58 AM
53 Blue Flame
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Trend
Old 07-06-2009, 09:14 AM
CREWZIN
Melting Slicks

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

I don't like the "all" black wheel myself but with a chrome lip, perimeter rivets and chrome lugs I think mine had enough "shiny" bits to make it different. I'm also looking at the new chrome ZR1 wheels (which will needs spacers) for something a bit different.

Old 07-06-2009, 09:50 AM
Relic
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by turbopezz
Black with A polished lip is what I like,especially on A white car .
Different strokes for different folks,its what makes the world go round.
I never liked the black wheels, thought they looked like dirty wheels is all.

I've come around a bit, the black with the polished rim is sharp on whites, polos and black of course. I bought chrome rims, but if I were doing it over today, I'd buy black with the polished lip.

Still not a fan of solid black though.
Old 07-06-2009, 09:55 AM
Relic
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CREWZIN
I don't like the "all" black wheel myself but with a chrome lip, perimeter rivets and chrome lugs I think mine had enough "shiny" bits to make it different. I'm also looking at the new chrome ZR1 wheels (which will needs spacers) for something a bit different.
That's the idea! All black on wheels isn't good. You can't make out details, the wheels don't add anything. Your wheels look great, I agree about needing some chrome bits to bring out detail, and make them look like something other than dirty wheels. As I said, I'd do it on my white if I were buying wheels today.

Chrome ZR1 knock offs can be had in the correct offset so you don't need spacers, I have a set on mine.

Get notified of new replies

To "Am I the only guy that totally dislikes black out wheels"!!!!

Old 07-06-2009, 10:00 AM
JamesRS
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 121 Likes on 41 Posts

Well I am on the other end of the spectrum, i think they look great.

Last edited by JamesRS; 07-06-2009 at 10:04 AM.
Old 07-06-2009, 10:17 AM
ps374
Melting Slicks

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

I kind of have a different view. The engineer's at Chevrolet spent many hours designing the wheels for the early C4s not just to look good but to help the car function a certain way. The fins on the stock rims help cool the brakes on hard stopping. I maybe a loner in my thinking but the stock wheels should be kept on Early C4s. If they need refinishing by all means have them chromed or refinished. But just like Corvettes of old dating back in the 1950s when guys were cutting wheel wells and putting hooding scoops and jacking up rear ends on C1s. to me modding body parts on all C1,2,3,4,and 5s was always unnatural and a no no. Just leave the stock wheels on your Corvette the way Chevrolet designed them. Just one guys opinion.
Old 07-06-2009, 10:26 AM
GKK
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I have Chrome ZO6 wheels now but, I'm looking to replace them with something similar in Black. Black wheels make the Vette look Mean and Tough!

Chrome IMO, looks too Generic.

Quick Reply: "Am I the only guy that totally dislikes black out wheels"!!!!