C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Electric power problem with 1991

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 09:50 AM
scorpiorias
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electric power problem with 1991

Hi, about a few weeks ago, I took out the dash to install an aftermarket HU which required me to bypass the Bose system with a metra wiring harness. After installation, I bolted everything back on but the car wont start and there is no power to the interior or any part of the car. Even the hood light that always came on whenever the hood is popped dosn't come on, the engine don't crank or turn just dead and silent. I took the battery to the shop to check for a dead cell or any problems with it but it checked out fine. checked fuses on the passenger side dash corner and it checkout fine. I am very frustrated with this; can somebody lend me an advice. Any help will be appreciated. Thank you.
Old 04-24-2009, 12:11 PM
wkndskier
Advanced

I'd start by removing the new head unit and wiring harness you just installed. Put it back the way it was and see if that solves the problems you are experiencing. If it does, you know the problem is with the new hu setup and may need to find an installer who is familiar with vettes to get it done right. Just my 2 cents!
Old 04-24-2009, 02:02 PM
scorpiorias
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by wkndskier
I'd start by removing the new head unit and wiring harness you just installed. Put it back the way it was and see if that solves the problems you are experiencing. If it does, you know the problem is with the new hu setup and may need to find an installer who is familiar with vettes to get it done right. Just my 2 cents!
thank you but i've got the dash unbolted again, inspected the wires and had it remove but no luck any ideas pleas.
Old 04-24-2009, 03:31 PM
jfb
Team Owner

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Almost all the power to the car goes through the ignition switch and you must have unplugged the wiring harness connector to it. Trace the wires from the ignition switch to a connector.
Old 04-24-2009, 04:40 PM
myc4vette
Instructor

Originally Posted by jfb
Almost all the power to the car goes through the ignition switch and you must have unplugged the wiring harness connector to it. Trace the wires from the ignition switch to a connector.

You may have to start at the battery with a tester and trace until you have no more power.

Get notified of new replies

To Electric power problem with 1991

Quick Reply: Electric power problem with 1991