Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Thinking of trying a C4 out any advice??

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 08:09 PM
RedVette84
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The way you guys talk about the 84 you sound more like the C-6 crowd talking about the C-4's. Yes,I agree the newer C-4's are superior and no they are not the top dollar vettes but they are just as fun to drive. Also all the C-4 years have drastically dropped in value so none of our cars(other than a select few) are worth that much. I also agree you should go for the newer vettes but you could also argue that the 53 is junk. But it still is a groundbreaker just like the first year of any of the eras. -for ALL the C-4's.
Old 03-31-2009, 08:23 PM
Calderone
Le Mans Master

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by 65747785
The only C4 with the cross fire and the only C4 with a unique hood.
What unique Hood ? is the 84 hood different ???
Old 03-31-2009, 08:42 PM
captmike13
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

Lets not forget to let him know about the awesome LT5 ZR-1. I would drive one of those before making up your mind. You can get some good deals on these now if you can afford it. I have an 85 and if I could do it over I would have done some more research and got a ZR-1.

Mike
Old 03-31-2009, 09:51 PM
JD'S WHITE 93
Le Mans Master

Received 1,336 Likes on 675 Posts

Originally Posted by Calderone
What unique Hood ? is the 84 hood different ???
Yes it is, the Crossfire air cleaner is functional as it sucks air through the hood somehow. I don't really know how it works exactly but it is in fact a different hood. It looks the same though on the outside. The Crossfire cars are neat someday I will buy one and mod the bejesus out of it. They are the cheapest of the C4s so a mint one could be had pretty cheap. I would want a mint Z51 car with low miles. That would be an awesome car to mod Anybdy got a red one with lets say 40K miles or so for 5K ?
Old 03-31-2009, 11:08 PM
Z51JEFF
Race Director

Received 643 Likes on 420 Posts
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by rzmnco
84 = Wrong? not exactly

but when you can get an l98 maybe a lt1 if you really lucky for same price, your f***ing retarded not to.

Frizlefrak - Why would ny one want to have the slowest of all the c4 corvettes, get picked on for it, have little/none aftermarket preformance capabilities and the oldest(making it most likely of them all to break.) of the c4 corvettes?

Z51JEFF - I have none. But I read alot about them on this forum, and it it not good. pretty much never good. lol. I have had a real in depth convo with the guy who work at and owns a corvette called Corvette Performance Center (who worked on my vettte) about them, he's not a fan. I'm going by what knowledgeable people say. The people who stick up for them are the people who are tuck with them.

Now question for you two in you honest opinion would you recomend a 84 crossfire over any other c4 to someone?
I recently sold my 84after 22 years of ownership,car had 120k miles when I sold it and not a single problem that was 84 specific,the problems I had with the car were the exact same problems that 85,86 and 87 owners have had,a car built with garbage parts.From a simplistic stand point Id buy another one in a heartbeat and I would recommend one just the same.You've got some pretty hardcore 84 owners on this site,most of the people that talk $hit about the car are people like yourself that have never owned,driven or even sat in the car.
Old 04-01-2009, 12:20 AM
CStewTAMU
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Engines: L83 < L98 < LT1 < LT4 < LT5

L83 200hp 1984 only 350 Small Block
L98 230-250hp 85-91, hp increased about 5hp almost every year , 350 small block
LT1 300hp 92-95, 96 automatic transmissions, 350 small block
LT4 330hp 96 manual transmission vettes only. 350 small block. (basically an LT1 with better heads, intake, etc.)
LT5 375-405hp 90-95. 350 cubic inches, but engine is not related in any way to the GM 350 small block. This engine was designed by Lotus.

If you're looking at a pre 1990 Corvette, I get an 86 or newer. You get the L98 plus ABS brakes. If you get a manual transmission get an 89 or newer. I have heard of reliability issues with the 4+3 manual.

If you want a more modern interior, look at a 90 or newer.

Last edited by CStewTAMU; 04-01-2009 at 12:25 AM.
Old 04-01-2009, 12:36 AM
Calderone
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by JD'S WHITE 93
Yes it is, the Crossfire air cleaner is functional as it sucks air through the hood somehow. I don't really know how it works exactly but it is in fact a different hood. It looks the same though on the outside. The Crossfire cars are neat someday I will buy one and mod the bejesus out of it. They are the cheapest of the C4s so a mint one could be had pretty cheap. I would want a mint Z51 car with low miles. That would be an awesome car to mod Anybdy got a red one with lets say 40K miles or so for 5K ?
Thanks you learn something new everyday !
Never knew this !
i'd always thought that the vette had some kinda cowl hood ! but really really classy
Old 04-01-2009, 12:38 AM
Calderone
Le Mans Master

you can always modify a good ol L98 !!!
Old 04-01-2009, 01:06 AM
Z51JEFF
Race Director

Received 643 Likes on 420 Posts
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by JD'S WHITE 93
Yes it is, the Crossfire air cleaner is functional as it sucks air through the hood somehow. I don't really know how it works exactly but it is in fact a different hood. It looks the same though on the outside.
The 84 hood picks up air at the front of the car,air into the duct opening at the front underside of hood into the ducts that are visible on the underside of the hood.
Old 04-01-2009, 07:46 AM
dlb435
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are lots of LT5's on the market right now. Most are very low milage and very expensive. Seems it's more of a collectors car than a driver. Anyone out there put 100K on an LT5?
Old 04-01-2009, 03:00 PM
bb62
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by dlb435
There are lots of LT5's on the market right now. Most are very low milage and very expensive. Seems it's more of a collectors car than a driver. Anyone out there put 100K on an LT5?
Plenty of high mileage ZR-1s out there:

http://www.zr1netregistry.com/ZR1_highmileage.htm

As to what "very expensive" is, you can buy a low mileage 95 ZR-1 with Dunn heads (rarest most powerful stock ZR-1) for less than a clean driver 67 NOM small block Sting Ray.
Old 04-01-2009, 05:30 PM
FOURSPEEDVETTE
Safety Car

Received 224 Likes on 156 Posts

One of the posts mentioned that a Vette with high miles is almost worthless. I've seen them wrecked, dismantled, modded by amateurs, bad paint jobs and some just plain beat the h-ll out of and have yet to see one that was worthless. There is always someone who is interested in buying them even when you see them on a trailer at a parts swap meet. To the guy who said that the 84 should be avoided, you really shouldn't try to steer someone away from a particular year of Vette unless you have had some "ownership" problems with that year. Going strictly by what you've heard or what others with no experience on an 84 Vette say would not be a good decision to me. There are some really nice 84's out there and some really quick ones too. I've learned from experience not to expect an 84 to be a dog. Most owners I've met with 84's are very happy with them because it's what they like and what fits their budget. Because it's not the most advanced or most popular Vette with a few here should not make it something to "avoid". to the 1984.
Old 04-01-2009, 06:24 PM
BTU83
Instructor

Default 84

I have had my 84 for a couple years now and restored it mostly completely. Because it wasn't taken care of well from the past owner, it did have some engine troubles, but now that they are all worked out it is a joy to drive. Also, 84 is a landmark year and first C4 which is a cool feature. Also, no out of place looking third brake light! And with them being 25 years old now, they qualify as a collector vehicle in some states, so cheap insurance and collector plates may be possible. Let's not forget the the only C4 with a Crossfire Engine, that's unique. Also, I hate the argument that it's the slowest C4 so therefore it should be avoided. Yes, it may be the slowest, but still reasonably fast relative to the others. Also, most of the other C4's aren't THAT fast anyways, let's be honest here, there are plenty faster cars out there.
Old 04-02-2009, 01:09 PM
Pro

Someone said up above. When's the 1984 going to be worth sticker price, in 300 years? Some are worth that now, the ones with under 5,000 miles. All Corvettes gain in value, that is the ones that are in pristine low mile condition. There's nothing wrong with a 50, 60 thousand mile 1984 either. Or even the 100 thousand mile 1984. Hey man, it was the first C4 the first of the boday style. Go ahead non believers in time you'll wish you bought that nice 84 for 5,000, 6,000 bucks back when. When you see they're worth $20K, $25K you'll wish you bought 3 nice examples of them. What goes around comes around.

Corvette prices always go up. Why? It's because the people who buy them invest money in their restoration. Add in the years as it gets older it becomes more valuable. They all have.
Old 04-02-2009, 01:14 PM
Pro

I wanna say too, there's more to life than being fast. A 1984 is what it is and it doesn't have to be fast. Remember this, there's always somebody faster. It's time people quit crying the blues and ripping on the 1984. Accept it, it's a CORVETTE.

Did ya ever hear of anyone rippen on say a 1965 327 with the base 250 hp engine. Noooo. It is what it is, a CORVETTE.
Old 04-02-2009, 01:32 PM
RetiredSFC 97
Team Owner

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10, '14

We always get into a which vette is best. The only people who I have ever ran into that questions any vette are us vette owners. I know we have the most experience but it's still funny to hear us argue with one another.

To the OP. Most all the most experienced vette owners always says buy the newest least miles you can afford. My only experience is with a 90 and so far I love it. I always wanted a C3 but I am so glad I found my 90 C4. Each one has it's own issues as with any car. The C4 I have seen most recommended here seems to be the 96 LT4.
Old 04-02-2009, 05:05 PM
Eakster
Safety Car

1. Buy the best one you can afford. Mileage and model is a factor, but not the only things to consider

2. Check owner history

3. Check all maintenance. You want the big stuff that's a pain to replace - water pump, opti, plug leads, seals. I think this is more important than mods.

4 Test drive

I chose mine based on recent maintenance (it had new opti, water pump, timing chain, seals and shocks) and then the mods it had (lowered, exhaust, tints) But this was only after narrowing the choice specifically to 96 LT4. This was the best one I could afford at the time, and just felt like 'my car'.

Get notified of new replies

To Thinking of trying a C4 out any advice??

Old 04-02-2009, 06:00 PM
nferr
Racer

Originally Posted by rzmnco
84 = Wrong? not exactly

but when you can get an l98 maybe a lt1 if you really lucky for same price, your f***ing retarded not to.

Frizlefrak - Why would ny one want to have the slowest of all the c4 corvettes, get picked on for it, have little/none aftermarket preformance capabilities and the oldest(making it most likely of them all to break.) of the c4 corvettes?

Z51JEFF - I have none. But I read alot about them on this forum, and it it not good. pretty much never good. lol. I have had a real in depth convo with the guy who work at and owns a corvette called Corvette Performance Center (who worked on my vettte) about them, he's not a fan. I'm going by what knowledgeable people say. The people who stick up for them are the people who are tuck with them.

Now question for you two in you honest opinion would you recomend a 84 crossfire over any other c4 to someone?
As usual. Somebody who knows NOTHING about an 84 bashing them. My Crossfire system is bone stock and has had zero problems - zero. Yeah it's down a whopping 25 HP to an 85. By the way read about the people having injection problems with the L98 tuned port. There's a been a bunch of posts recently right on this forum.
Old 04-02-2009, 06:15 PM
Durissus
Racer

Step one - Test drive each of them.
Step 2 - Buy the one you like.
Step 3 - Drive it hard

Old 04-02-2009, 07:48 PM
FLACHUSNRET
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

My first Corvette was a '96 LT1 Collector Edition. All 96 LT1 cars came with A4(auto trans.). You could only get a '96 with a six speed if you also bought the LT4 engine. It was a great car but I got the fever for a six speed so I searched all over the country and found a C5 convertible with a six speed and every other option and flew over 1000 miles to buy it. That was in 2004 and I have just sold it and the new owner picks it up this weekend.
I have had a C6 2005 Red convertible with A4 for over a year now and we '05 owners catch all the same flak about our "first year" cars being no good, etc. Most '05 C6 owners have had few if any problems with their '05s yet we still get pummelled all the time in the C6 forum. Like the '84s the '05s also have a few special distinctions no other C6 has like a light under the hood, XM antennae on trunk, larger steering wheel, A4 transmission, and I am sure there are other trivial things I am not yet aware of.
Although I don't have any experience with the 84's, I can understand the principal of buying the newest and best condition car you can afford. Back in 2001 when I bought my '96, I did so after almost buying my cousin's '85 coupe (for $5000) which had 90k miles on it and had been used as his daily driver in Florida. Is was black and the clear coat was shot, the carpet was all faded, etc. Needed all new rubber around doors (major expense), needed total exhaust system etc, etc, etc. Luckily, I was wise enough to consult a close friend who has driven Corvettes since the late 50's (he still has a '66 427 he bought new) and he had an Eckler's catalog which he loaned me. I spent the next few hours going over the '85 with a fine tooth comb to determine everything that needed attention and then added up the costs by using the catalog for much of it and quickly realized that I would be better off buying the better, newer, low mileage garage queen '96 Collector Edition ($19,900)which needed nothing but a driver to get out and enjoy seeing the country.
I was in my middle fifties at that time and was having some health issues so I just did not want to be a hands-on owner of any car at that time. I wanted something I could just drive and enjoy.
If you are really a gearhead who enjoys tearing something down to the frame and doing a total restoration, then "the older the better" might be in your best interest. Normally, I have seen that older Corvettes seem to bottom out in price between the 15 and 18 year mark. As you can see, all C3's are now going up in value and have been for several years. You might check out the current prices on 1984's and check out some magazines like Corvette Fever over the past few years and see what the '84 prices are doing.
Whatever you decide is best for you, I wish you success in finding that dream car.
The seach and pursuit is much of the fun!

Sanford in Saraland, Alabama

Quick Reply: Thinking of trying a C4 out any advice??