C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Power Seat controls acting strange

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 09:59 PM
spinktec
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Power Seat controls acting strange

Model 1994 coupe 6-speed with sport seats.

Strange problem: Electrical controls operate driver seat whether switch is in "driver" or "passenger". Pneumatic controls (lumber and lateral supports) operate properly eg. control driver pneumatics in driver position and passenger pneumatics when in passenger position.

Don't know when the problem started exactly. I removed the driver seat 10 months ago to clean under it and never checked the passenger controls until today (I had a passenger).

Checked for loose connections at both seats and removed the controls to check for loose connections. I also cycled the DR/PS switch several times just in case it was a dirty contact, but nothing helped. I'd like to do some voltage checks, but I need a schematic or some insight.

Thoughts?
Old 03-10-2009, 10:25 PM
carllangford
Pro

Received 112 Likes on 65 Posts

Aha, so you had your driver seat out did ya? When I bought my 94 it was doing the same thing. The PO was deceased and his spouse mentioned he had replaced the power booster which requires removal of the drivers seat. There are two power connectors beneath the seat that are swapped (at least mine were). Just pop out the cushion and swap the connectors.
Old 03-11-2009, 10:42 AM
BobRR3
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 96 has the same problem. Are you sure about the connectors ?
they are color coded. One is black and the other is white. It wouldn't make much sense to connect a black to white connector. however, I'll give it a try. I was checking the relays under the drivers seat. The seats operate the same even if i pull all the realys out. so, something is wrong !
Old 03-11-2009, 10:54 AM
carllangford
Pro

I don't know about 96. Mine is 94. The connectors were not color coded which probably led to the mistake at re-installation of the seat. When I pulled the cushion it was not apparent they were swapped. I just gambled and tried the swap.
Old 03-11-2009, 07:30 PM
BobRR3
Instructor

Yes, on my 96 there are two connectors. One is white to white and one is black to black also, the wire color codes match. I suppose the change from the 94 to the 96 was to prevent swaping the connectors.hmmm. Now I'm back to square one.

It's odd that this problem started after i had the seat out though. Maybe I'll just swap the connectors and see what happens. I'll post back after it try it.

any one else have an idea on this ? I have already replaced the console switch. It didn't make any difference.
Old 03-11-2009, 10:57 PM
spinktec
Advanced

It worked!

Why would GM put two identical connectors in such close proximity?

Thanks for the info carllangford.

Last edited by spinktec; 03-11-2009 at 11:02 PM.
Old 03-11-2009, 11:07 PM
carllangford
Pro

Originally Posted by spinktec
It worked!

Why would GM put two identical connectors in such close proximity?

Thanks for the info carllangford.
I wondered the same thing when I saw it. And I had forgotten to mention that I have Sport Seats. Don't know if that makes a difference. Glad it worked out
Old 03-12-2009, 04:19 PM
sraft
Burning Brakes

glad it worked for you

This drove me nuts for a long time until I stumbled onto the solution - what's wrong with those GM engineers
Old 03-22-2009, 01:20 PM
leafsmainiac
Intermediate

Default Same here!!!!

Hi Guys:

I had the same problem with my car. I have been driving around for over a year without being able to adjust the passenger seat. I took the seat bottom out and swapped out the two black connectors and all is now good. It pays to read the forum posts!!!!! Thanks a lot. The wife can now adjust her seat. Hurray!!!!!!!!! Now if I could just get that damn PKE working correctly.

Regards,

Leafsmainiac

Get notified of new replies

To Power Seat controls acting strange

Quick Reply: Power Seat controls acting strange