C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Irratic kooling temps

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2016, 04:35 PM
lectroglide
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Irratic kooling temps

This Thread is about 92 C4 that's having Irratic cooling temps but both digital and analog readings do match when the heat goes up or down

I picked up a thermostat and was going to change it thinking it would be a cheap fix at first but am having 2nd thoughts being I donot wanna take a chance on water dripping on the opti!!!!!even with rags wrapped around the thermo housing

Maybe changing the coolant and thermo might fix the problem but am not sure and thinking if anything needs to be changed or drained will let the shop do it so if anything does happen to the opti theyd be responsible. Anyway am looking for solutions other than shop time in an actual shop but might have to go that route
Old 04-24-2016, 06:03 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

Burp the air out and take the top of the shroud off and clean it out.
Old 04-24-2016, 06:13 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,255 Likes on 2,018 Posts

Originally Posted by riversidedan1
I picked up a thermostat and was going to change it thinking it would be a cheap fix at first but am having 2nd thoughts being I donot wanna take a chance on water dripping on the opti!!!!!even with rags wrapped around the thermo housing

Maybe changing the coolant and thermo might fix the problem but am not sure and thinking if anything needs to be changed or drained will let the shop do it so if anything does happen to the opti theyd be responsible. Anyway am looking for solutions other than shop time in an actual shop but might have to go that route
I'd think it very difficult to try and hang a shop out there for an opti- failure eve if it occurred shortly after the t'stat change. Very difficult!

You haven't mentioned the fans running appropriately but you "hint" maybe they are when you mention temps rise/fall. Clearing the cooling/refrigeration module is to be considered maintenance. You haven't mentioned the temps either so .....

Why would you suspect the t'stat? Something you haven't shared?
Old 04-24-2016, 06:40 PM
lectroglide
Pro

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
I'd think it very difficult to try and hang a shop out there for an opti- failure eve if it occurred shortly after the t'stat change. Very difficult!

You haven't mentioned the fans running appropriately but you "hint" maybe they are when you mention temps rise/fall. Clearing the cooling/refrigeration module is to be considered maintenance. You haven't mentioned the temps either so .....

Why would you suspect the t'stat? Something you haven't shared?
thiers many things I haven't shared being am not an expert and am looking for an inexpensive idea before the shop gets a hold of it, also if the shop did do something to have water drip on the opti your damn right theyd be responsible being it would seem awful funny the opti dying right after it had been in the shop when its never given me any trouble and was just replaced along with the water pump in 2014, so what Im getting at is the car is doing something abnormal that needs to be figured out,however thanx for the replys

Last edited by lectroglide; 04-24-2016 at 07:01 PM.
Old 04-24-2016, 08:17 PM
csthews
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Can you give more information...temps, driving conditions, etc.

BTW, the thermostat is probably the easiest thing to change on the LT1. I recently changed it on my 95 and barely spilled a drop. I did tuck rags below it just in case. I removed the cover with the upper hose still connected.
Old 04-24-2016, 11:17 PM
lectroglide
Pro

Originally Posted by csthews
Can you give more information...temps, driving conditions, etc.

BTW, the thermostat is probably the easiest thing to change on the LT1. I recently changed it on my 95 and barely spilled a drop. I did tuck rags below it just in case. I removed the cover with the upper hose still connected.
more info well lets see, it started all of a sudden I noticed the digital would jump down to 191 -192 then go up to 202 -204 -208 -211 and 216 then back down again, when it was going up outside temp was around 80-83 degrees speed was around 25-30 mph it went down when I got on the freeway the mid 190s. the change wasn't drastic but abnormal for the car. Today I started to wrap rags under the T housing then decided to not take a chance, so that's where it stands

Last edited by lectroglide; 04-24-2016 at 11:18 PM.
Old 04-25-2016, 02:51 AM
enventr
Safety Car

Received 438 Likes on 397 Posts

When I had my 95, I too was afraid of the Opti so I drained some of the antifreeze in a bucket ( just to make sure) it was very easy. My 95 had a burping screw which simplified things.
Old 04-25-2016, 05:45 AM
Corp Z
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would check the Coolant temp sensor. It lives on the front of the water pump and is obvious as its the only electrical connector. It It could be giving bad readings.. Don't unthread it as coolant will run out, maybe just a test with a OHM meter to start. If its bad then you will have to draint he coolant anyway and you can change the sensor and thermostat all at once.

Also make sure the radiator is clean and free of obstruction. Look from underneath.
Old 04-25-2016, 06:56 AM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

also if the shop did do something to have water drip on the opti your damn right theyd be responsible being it would seem awful funny the opti dying right after it had been in the shop when its never given me any trouble and was just replaced along with the water pump in 2014
You might as well put that idea right out of your mind before you hire anyone to do anything to your car. You should discuss the opti issue with them if your worried about it. You will never impose this responsibility upon your mechanic and neither will your attorney. Thinking you can is pure fantasy. Don't set yourself up for unnecessary grief.
Old 04-25-2016, 11:17 AM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Might just have sucked a plastic bag up inbetween since it was sudden. You must take the top shroud off to see. Or sneak a camera in there.

Last edited by antfarmer2; 04-25-2016 at 02:05 PM.
Old 04-25-2016, 12:16 PM
csthews
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Sounds like the thermostat is cycling. Temps are not getting high enough for the fans to come on...unless you are running a/c at the time. My car cycles about the same (95 M6), but since that is a sudden change, you might want do do as Antfarmer said and inspect the front of the radiator for blockage.
Old 04-25-2016, 01:47 PM
lectroglide
Pro

Originally Posted by Amotoxracer
You might as well put that idea right out of your mind before you hire anyone to do anything to your car. You should discuss the opti issue with them if your worried about it. You will never impose this responsibility upon your mechanic and neither will your attorney. Thinking you can is pure fantasy. Don't set yourself up for unnecessary grief.
exactly what I had planned on
Old 04-25-2016, 01:49 PM
lectroglide
Pro

Originally Posted by csthews
Sounds like the thermostat is cycling. Temps are not getting high enough for the fans to come on...unless you are running a/c at the time. My car cycles about the same (95 M6), but since that is a sudden change, you might want do do as Antfarmer said and inspect the front of the radiator for blockage.
already checked for rad blockage
Old 04-25-2016, 02:07 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

already checked for rad blockage
How did you check?
Old 04-25-2016, 05:04 PM
lectroglide
Pro

Originally Posted by antfarmer2
How did you check?
got under the car and looked
Old 04-25-2016, 06:10 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

got under the car and looked
So have not checked yet. Pull the top shroud off and get in there and clean it. The six 7mm screws are a PITA I used el tape and a flat ratchet wrench to help get some in and out.

Last edited by antfarmer2; 04-25-2016 at 06:18 PM.
Old 04-25-2016, 08:02 PM
Kmcoldcars
Melting Slicks

Received 285 Likes on 134 Posts

Dan, give me a call. I am back from Arizona and Nevada, the rain here is gone, and tomorrow would be a good day to check out your car. KM

Get notified of new replies

To Irratic kooling temps

Quick Reply: Irratic kooling temps