C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Coolant in A/C and blowing through vents, HELP

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 08:54 AM
dnut24
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant in A/C and blowing through vents, HELP

I searched around and couldn't find anyone speaking of this issue. Here's what I came across the other day. Lately been real busy and not taking good care of car, since it's cold and all that. Well a warm day a few days ago I was driving around running errands and I smelled coolant in the car and shortly after the "low coolant" light came on. Car seemed to run hotter too. Well I was close to home, let it cooled down and basically poured almost a whole bottle of coolant in it!

So that took care of that, but an hour latter while driving windows got all foggy and hazy from what seems to be coolant being blown from the defrost vents. I know it's coolant cause it smells like it and why would the windows got hazy with a film on it? So first off I wonder even with the HVAC controls to off, does air still slowly blow through the defrost vent by the windshield?

So after getting out of car I saw coolant on ground and looking under hood I see some coolant under the passenger side where the black a/c condenser unit. (item 8)

now there's no way coolant runs through that right? So it's most likely a heater core, or hose issue? Is there a heater hose that runs around that A/C unit that would make the bootom of it wet? coolant seems to be running off the frame rails and onto passenger side catalytic converter. I definately think it's heater related since it starts to fog up after t.stat opens at around 195 degrees. and turning on defroster only makes things worse. The car is undrivable as all the windows front to back are covered in a foggy haze. Opening the door lets out a bellow of smoke.

Can someone point me in the right direction for trouble shooting before I go crazy?

Thanks
Old 02-20-2009, 09:20 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Sound like the hearter core is toast. Coolant will get into the box and that's what causing the fogging condition.

Heater core replacement is not a fun job.....
Old 02-20-2009, 09:23 AM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

If you have coolant coming out your vents its very likely your heater core.This is one of the first signs of a bad core.Just make sure you replace it with a GM core, not aftermarket.. Good Luck...WW
Old 02-20-2009, 09:34 AM
dnut24
Racer

oh lord... so if I can't see any visable coolant from the inlet or outlet heater hoses, then it's the core? and the core I assume is inside the firewall under dash? if so, lovely...
Old 02-20-2009, 10:07 AM
engle1147
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

with all these guys...heater core is busted. Welcome to the busted heater core club....I'm also a member.
Old 02-20-2009, 10:32 AM
dnut24
Racer

nice... well i guess I'll pick up a core from Ecklers and ponder if I want to do it myself or take it to a shop.
Old 02-20-2009, 11:02 AM
kalister1
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Search around for heater core replacement. I have read everything from they start with the heater core and then build the car, to it's really not that bad?
Old 02-20-2009, 11:45 AM
StealthLT4
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thank god I haven't had to do it myself yet (knock on wood), but every recollection I've seen says GM started with the heater core and 4 tail lights (84-91), and built the car around those
Old 02-20-2009, 12:20 PM
NEVRL8T
Race Director

Originally Posted by dnut24
nice... well i guess I'll pick up a core from Ecklers and ponder if I want to do it myself or take it to a shop.
I have the .pdf file Lani made that is a walk through of replacing the core on '91-'96 cars. PM me your email address or post it here and I will send it to you. Really nice file with great pictures.
Old 02-20-2009, 01:39 PM
dnut24
Racer

well, just went home for lunch and it's definately the core. the low coolant light came on as getting into driveway, then seeing coolant all over garage and passenger floor board flooded with green coolant. lovely way to start the weekend! Angelofdeath, I will PM you, to see if I want to tackle this myself.
Old 02-20-2009, 04:10 PM
torchred89
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by dnut24
well, just went home for lunch and it's definately the core. the low coolant light came on as getting into driveway, then seeing coolant all over garage and passenger floor board flooded with green coolant. lovely way to start the weekend! Angelofdeath, I will PM you, to see if I want to tackle this myself.
YEP! Been there done that.Sore back skinned knuckles and cramps in every part of your body,before your done.
Old 02-20-2009, 07:14 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by torchred89
YEP! Been there done that.Sore back skinned knuckles and cramps in every part of your body,before your done.
And words that would make a sailor blush.
Old 02-21-2009, 09:14 AM
tomtom72
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'19, '21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by TheAngelOfDeath
I have the .pdf file Lani made that is a walk through of replacing the core on '91-'96 cars. PM me your email address or post it here and I will send it to you. Really nice file with great pictures.
I would be very thankful if you could send me a copy of that file.

I've been suspecting the same with my 90. No smell, but fog on the windshield sometimes out of the defroster ducts. Not consistantly yet, but it seems to be after I've used the A/C on very hot humid days. The heat is very inconsistant when I use it but no fog. I just can't figure out what is going on. I just figure that what ever is wrong, I'll find out when I get to the heater core.

TIA

Tom
thomastom72@aol.com
Old 02-21-2009, 09:32 AM
tarheelracer
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't buy your core from ecklers. Those Corvette specific magazines are the biggest rip off around. They take a perfectly good reasonably priced part, price it up by 30% and sell it to you because they think you are a rich Corvette owner. And people fall for it every time.

EDIT: Although it seems that on heater cores they are not, ha ha.

Last edited by tarheelracer; 02-21-2009 at 09:37 AM.
Old 02-21-2009, 09:40 AM
jimmers
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Have fun if you do tackle it yourself!
Old 02-21-2009, 03:28 PM
NEVRL8T
Race Director

Originally Posted by tomtom72
I would be very thankful if you could send me a copy of that file.

I've been suspecting the same with my 90. No smell, but fog on the windshield sometimes out of the defroster ducts. Not consistantly yet, but it seems to be after I've used the A/C on very hot humid days. The heat is very inconsistant when I use it but no fog. I just can't figure out what is going on. I just figure that what ever is wrong, I'll find out when I get to the heater core.

TIA

Tom
thomastom72@aol.com
Sending it now.
Old 02-22-2009, 09:41 AM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

Like I mentioned in the post at the top, make sure its a GM core, not an aftermarket core. I have seen to many people have to do the job again in 2 to 3 years with an aftermarket core.If you don't believe me try doing a search...WW
Old 02-23-2009, 08:29 AM
dnut24
Racer

yea Tarheel, the Ecklers site is reasonable price for the core. and WW7, it states its a genuine part.

Get notified of new replies

To Coolant in A/C and blowing through vents, HELP

Quick Reply: Coolant in A/C and blowing through vents, HELP