C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Valve Cover Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 10:24 AM
eagleye
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 46 Posts

Default Valve Cover Question

The valve covers on my 89 L98 were leaking so I decided to remove them to replace the gaskets as a winter project. Since I went to the trouble to take them off, I decide to have them powder coated. My question concerns the gaskets. The ones that were on the car were neoprene and came off very easily. Should I replace them with the same? Should I use some type of gasket sealer if I do use neoprene? There was no sealer on them when I took them off so I'm thinking that's why they leaked. The service manual isn't too clear on this one. I don't want to have to take them back off once I get them on.
Old 02-13-2009, 10:40 AM
VetteSlave
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Use the blue FelPro silicone gaskets. You don't need to use gasket cinch, but will have to stretch and hold them into place with you fingers while laying the cover back on the head (not all that easy because you're doing it by feel, but no biggie). Tighten while pushing in on the covers. Re-check torque/tightness of the covers in a week or so....
Old 02-13-2009, 10:42 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 703 Likes on 590 Posts

back in 97, i used silicon sealer per the original FSM instructions on my 85. the instructions in the manual were later superceded with using standard gaskets on the valve covers. my silicon sealed valve covers held up for 10+ years without leaking. last summer, when installing valve stem seals, i did relpace the valve cover gaskets with felpro rubber/cork gaskets. i did apply a thin film of grease to the gasket surfaces before installing the valve covers. talking with my son several weeks ago (he now owns the 85) everything is still dry...
Old 02-13-2009, 11:07 AM
eagleye
Racer

Thanks for the input. Like I said, I don't want to have to do it more than once. The last time I replaced gaskets I think they were only made of cork.
Old 02-13-2009, 03:23 PM
AGENT 86
Race Director

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

The gaskets can be a pain. I put a dab of silicone at the corners of one end, spring clamped them and let dry. The next day I did the same to the other end. Gasket stays in place for install, removal, install etc etc.
Old 02-14-2009, 08:42 AM
HlhnEast
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I just finished replacing mine and was talked out of buying the neoprene because they didnt have them in stock. I bought the Mr Gasket cork ones instead and used Formagasket to hold the gasket to the valve cover. I also put some on the gasket to head sealing surface. My covers are looking pretty rough so I double coated in case they were warped. The engine will be coming out for rebuild during the summer and at that point I will get the Felpro neoprenes. I will still tack them to newly purchased covers for ease of install but will leave the gasket to head layer off. Some gaskets have a crush stop integrated in the bolt hole and those would be the best I would assume having never used any before I will try to find a set of these as they have been recommended here on the forum. Drivers side was more complicated as you have to move the AIR pump forward. A few bolts, one nut underneath and the alternator wishbone bracket had to be loosed or removed on my '85 L98 for the cover to clear the wiper motor at the firewall. Passenger side was a little easier but still tight. Good luck with yours
Old 02-14-2009, 09:50 AM
Dudeurgettnavette
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd get the blue Felpro gasket for sure! How did the powder coating turn out? Pics?
Old 02-14-2009, 09:54 AM
M.J.L.
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11

Im about to change out mine today if the sun comes out. I used cheap gaskets and they been leaking ever since. Do not go cheap on the gaskets! Make sure they are seated properly. This time I will use the best of everything and I am going to have to scrub the manifolds down to get rid of the caked on oil so I wont have to smell burned oil constantly.
Old 02-14-2009, 10:31 AM
vette92_1
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Valve Cover Gaskets

One word of advise that I learned doing mine. If you use the rubber felpro which I recommend there is no need for any type of sealer, but put the gasket on the valve covers first. The valve cover has "tabs" (for lack of a better term) in each corner. Stretch the rubber gasket around those and then press with your fingers down into the gasket pocket of the valve cover. It works perfect and holds the gasket in place during re-assembly of the valve covers, that way you don't end up fighting the gasket to stay in place on the head.

BTW did mine about 4 years ago and hasn't leaked a drop.
Old 02-14-2009, 01:42 PM
powerpigz-51
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I use a product called "The Right Stuff" that comes in a small caulking tube. You can use it with or without the gaskets...I use it without. It works awesome...you can get it at just about any parts store.
Old 02-14-2009, 04:51 PM
BornIn87
Pro

Lets see some pictures of yours
Old 02-16-2009, 07:03 PM
eagleye
Racer

I don't have the covers back yet. I only gave them to the guy on Friday. Nothing fancy, just something close to matching the intake. I will post some pics when I get them. Thanks for all the feedback on the gaskets
Old 02-17-2009, 01:19 AM
Snakecharmer383
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

Yes, I would like to see pics!
Old 02-17-2009, 02:43 AM
samsonb
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

What part number are you guys using for the Felpro gaskets for an 89? I'm assuming it's what shows up at Auto Zone and Advance? And I've read that you need gaskets for the valve cover bolts?

Oh, and what do you guys use to clean up the oil around the plugs wires and block that leaked out from the valve covers?

After that, I'm gonna figure out what I'm going to do to paint them. Thinking of just wet sanding them, and doing the Zinc Chromate primer, then the Rustoleum High Heat silver as I've see done on here.
Old 02-17-2009, 05:01 AM
ZfidyONE-84
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by eagleye
I don't have the covers back yet. I only gave them to the guy on Friday. Nothing fancy, just something close to matching the intake. I will post some pics when I get them. Thanks for all the feedback on the gaskets
should look good, i did powdercoating on the valve covers, and air cleaner lid on my L83 that i had, not sure if i want to do that on my 90 just yet

Get notified of new replies

To Valve Cover Question

Quick Reply: Valve Cover Question