Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

First Speeding Ticket in my Vette...

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 03:07 AM
carolinamountains
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was going down a 9 degree incline on a mountain highway on my way home from work, normally I drop it into drive, but for some dumb reason I kept her in overdrive. went from 55 to 78 coasting (speed limit was 55). when I saw the NC State police sitting in the median, I knew i was busted, I too went ahead and pulled over and waited for him. when he walked up, he asked if I knew why I was pulled over, I explained because I was stupid and that I left the car in o/d, he laughed, and asked if o/d makes a big difference in a vette, I explained at 70 mph i can get around 28 mpg, he was stunned by this, he asked if he could look the car over, I said sure. I gave him a good tour. he then went back to his patrol car, and returned 2 minutes later with a warning and told me to watch my speed in that gorgeous car. I about $hit my pants. I told him thank you and went on my way. I still see him once in a while in his same hiding spot, and I know that speeding after a warning would be a slap in his face, so I keep her at 55 from now on.
sorry so long, but ...
Good luck with the job search, congrats on your degree
Old 01-24-2009, 05:22 AM
enventr
Safety Car

Received 438 Likes on 397 Posts

Originally Posted by ps374
Wow, the states you guys live in almost makes it worth speeding. Don't come to N.Y. My daughter got a speeding ticket last year and it was $300.00. But N.Y. also adds a SURCHARGE onto the ticket...Its another $300.00. Yep total came to $600.00. But they are real sports here in the Big Apple. They give you up to 3 years to pay the second $300.00. After you pay the first $300.000, they will allow you to only have to pay $100.00 a year for the next three year, and they don't charge you any interest. What sports.
Plus the insurance premium is raised for 3-4 years
Old 01-24-2009, 10:26 AM
RollaMo-LT4
Race Director

Received 142 Likes on 117 Posts
2021 C4 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Originally Posted by ride250s
What the hell are points anyway? I don't under stand this!?
Points are your states way of telling you "f*** up enough and we'll take your drivers license away".

Every state probably has their own rules and point system. Once you get x number of points accumulated, they can revoke your license.
But also, the points don't stay forever. They will be removed after x amount of time without any infractions. Check your states rules.

I should just show up at the cort date and tell them i would rather do community service then pay a fine! Would that get me out of it?
It's always possible. Once again, it depends on the area and what type of mood the judge is in. Every situation is different.
Maybe they have a great need for some type of community service to be performed. If so, your chances are better.
But if it's a cash strapped community, they probably need the money more.
Old 01-24-2009, 10:38 AM
Redeasysport
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06

In my neck of the woods if you show up for court the Judge will lower the speed to under 10mph over the limit and the ticket costs 120 w/court costs. Ask my wife and son how I found that out. I have lived a life of undetected crime so far but 95% of the time I keep it within 7mph of the speed limiteven if I am in a hurry. I have passed a few radar traps doing that and no flashing lights....yet.
Old 01-24-2009, 10:41 AM
silverja
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts

Default Ouch!

Sorry to hear of your misfortune. The best you can do is see it as a valuable learning lesson. I have received a few of these tickets and understand your feelings. But as time goes on the sting weakens and I find that I placed to much emotion into this experience. It is a reminder to watch one's speed, especially in a vehicle like a Corvette, while driving on public highways.

Many police officers are just like us and are doing their job. I know some here may feel differently. Sometimes one feels victimized because of owning a Corvette. In rare cases they may be right. But we all need to acknowledge that when ticketed we are guilty of violating a driving law. It's not that big of a deal in most cases.

Cruise at legal speeds and enjoy the ride going forward. Take your Corvette to the drag strip or auto cross track and then legally fly like the wind. That's my 2 cents.

Best of luck.
Old 01-24-2009, 10:46 AM
torchred89
Melting Slicks

I was in court one day. When this young guy next to me unfolded his ticket,it said 115 in a 65. I said to him man why didn't you just pay it. he said you can't,you have to court. The state cop got up and said he was running radar on Rt66 when he caught him. The judge said what do you have to say for yourself. The guy said he worked on his car all day long and he took it out and just stomped it one time. But that he wouldn't do it again. The judge said i know you won't for the next 6 months and gave him 3 days in the jailhouse and 6 months without a license and 3000 dollar fine.
Old 01-24-2009, 10:46 AM
silverja
Drifting

Default Wonder why no one is moving to New York?

Originally Posted by ps374
Wow, the states you guys live in almost makes it worth speeding. Don't come to N.Y. My daughter got a speeding ticket last year and it was $300.00. But N.Y. also adds a SURCHARGE onto the ticket...Its another $300.00. Yep total came to $600.00. But they are real sports here in the Big Apple. They give you up to 3 years to pay the second $300.00. After you pay the first $300.000, they will allow you to only have to pay $100.00 a year for the next three year, and they don't charge you any interest. What sports.
Wow! Talk about gouging! Although I live in Pennsylvania, which is not much better, we also follow the pattern in New York. These challenged politicians (How's that for politically correct) are adding on surcharges for all kinds of other programs to those caught speeding. If these patterns continue, the financial duress is only going to worsen in these northern states. The real growth in our country in in the South now and the pooliticians up here better wise up soon.

The sting of a ticket sure deflates the driving pleasure in these states.
Old 01-24-2009, 10:51 AM
silverja
Drifting

Default That's what race tracks and drag strips are for

Originally Posted by torchred89
I was in court one day. When this young guy next to me unfolded his ticket,it said 115 in a 65. I said to him man why didn't you just pay it. he said you can't,you have to court. The state cop got up and said he was running radar on Rt66 when he caught him. The judge said what do you have to say for yourself. The guy said he worked on his car all day long and he took it out and just stomped it one time. But that he wouldn't do it again. The judge said i know you won't for the next 6 months and gave him 3 days in the jailhouse and 6 months without a license and 3000 dollar fine.
Wow! But hey, driving 115 on a public highway is reckless. I had a Viper pass me going so fast it terrified me. It was on a public highway where there was no divider. A family or other innocent victim could have been killed by this moron. If he wrecked (not impacting anyone else) it wouldn't have bothered me considering his criminal behavior. I caught up to him (I was not speeding) at a red light and tried to get his attention. He ignored me and took off again like a kook! I feel the sight of a Corvette was a challenge to his ego. My wish is that he gets caught and sees the same judge before he kills another. Maybe he'll blow up his motor and considering it is a Viper, he will pay dearly for parts, if he can even find them.

Last edited by silverja; 01-24-2009 at 10:53 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-24-2009, 11:08 AM
frontier1111
Advanced

Sorry about your ticket..You should know you won't get much sympathy on this forum...Anyway why own a vette if don't speed a little once in a while....good luck on the job search.
Old 01-24-2009, 11:24 AM
Railroadman
Team Owner

Received 5,010 Likes on 2,529 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

First ticket? '67 427-400 vert, many many years ago. Just me and the GF on a deserted 4-lane, late at night, took it to 130 and that was all I had nerve for. Got back down near the limit and saw headlights coming up fast from behind, thought it was someone looking to run. (That Parkway was used as the local dragstrip) About the time the lights got close, ANOTHER couple lights came on, and they were red and revolving!

The cop said "You're in kind of a hurry, aren't you?" I knew I was toast, I said "Well sir, I just got it tuned up and wanted to see what it would do". He said "Did you find out?". "Yes sir!"

He gave me the ticket for 80, and said "If I wrote you for what you were doing you'd lose your license" The thought went through mind that if he did that, they'd throw it out because his speedometer didn't have those numbers on it, but for once in my life I kept my mouth shut.

To this day I think the guy deliberately gave me a break because he called the house a day later and said he had put the wrong date for court on the ticket. I walked in on THAT day, no court, got the name of the cop on duty and made sure HE knew my name. Got hold of a local politician in the neighborhood, told him there was nothing on the ticket saying I had to be there on the date court REALLY was. Bottom line, the ticket vanished!

A few decades older and a little wiser, I think about hitting a deer, or even a raccoon at that speed, it would have been all over. You couldn't pay me to hit 130 on a public road today.

(The GF? We didn't last, but I hear the guy she wound up marrying became a cop. I bet the story of THAT ride has been re-told!)
Old 01-24-2009, 11:50 AM
4theboy
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

What the hell are points anyway? I don't under stand this!? I should just show up at the cort date and tell them i would rather do community service then pay a fine! Would that get me out of it?
Don't think anything will get you out of paying some $$, even if it's just court fees. In IL you can plead 'court supervision' which basically means the ticket will stay in that court for a period of time, usually 3 - 6 months. It will not show up on your record or count against you, as long as you stay clean for that period of time in that jurisdiction. But you are still eligible for a fine and court fees at the judges discretion.

I really don't know if traffic courts are set up to allow community service as an option. I thought this was reserved for sentencing in criminal courts.

I received supervision on my last ticket and did not have to pay any fine. Then they slapped me with a $250 court fee. Ridiculous. But I figure I can probably save that in insurance rates and being able to shop rates with a clean record if I wanted to.
Old 01-24-2009, 12:05 PM
rocco16
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 131 Posts

While I've had my share of speeding tickets, none have been in the Vette. (knock on wood)
I look at speeding tickets as the "high-speed fee" for going faster than the posted limit; if I play, then I pay.

ride250s, you sound like my youngest son, who also thinks he should be able to break traffic laws without encurring any costs. Just as I learned, he will learn...and so will you: play=pay.
Nothing is free in life; there is a cost associated with everything.

Last edited by rocco16; 01-24-2009 at 07:02 PM.
Old 01-24-2009, 01:24 PM
markKlein
Melting Slicks

Received 106 Likes on 91 Posts

Sorry, but if you don't want the fine, don't do 25 over the limit.
Old 01-24-2009, 02:14 PM
Blue 92
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
CI 3-4, 8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10

In Ohio you're better off at no more than 9 MPH over. In 55 MPH areas the Highway Patrol writes 15 times the number of tickets at 65 than they do at 64.

• On rural highways, it appears that driving 9 mph over the posted 55-mph speed limit is OK. But boost that up just a notch, and things change. Of 377,478 speeding tickets issued in 55-mph zones, fewer than 1 percent were issued at 64 mph (1,689). At 65 mph, however, that bumps to nearly 7 percent (25,444), the single biggest jump.
http://www.dispatch.com/live/content...1_CLBG4QI.html
Old 01-24-2009, 02:48 PM
Pwnage1337
Tech Contributor

Received 188 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by r15
That's Wisconsin for you. I drove through Wis. about a dozen times before moving to MI and I got pulled over 3 times, once was a ticket for about the same amount as yours. Needless to say, in Wisconsin I've forced myself to stay at 65-70.
Sucks for me, I live here lol. Plus I'm 17, my vette is red, and I usually drive around with my supermodel GF. I've been pulled over 3 times, none of which I was speeding or anything bad. They wanted license and registration lol. One of them actually asked me if I stole the car before I showed him papers. What a joke.

Last edited by Pwnage1337; 01-24-2009 at 02:55 PM.
Old 01-24-2009, 02:59 PM
TA
Team Owner

Received 261 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by RollaMo-LT4
Oh, and the days of $60 tickets are long gone. :
I bet its been 20 years (or more) since speeding tickets were that cheap.
Old 01-24-2009, 03:02 PM
4theboy
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Pwnage1337
Sucks for me, I live here lol. Plus I'm 17, my vette is red, and I usually drive around with my supermodel GF. I've been pulled over 3 times, none of which I was speeding or anything bad. They wanted license and registration lol. One of them actually asked me if I stole the car before I showed him papers. What a joke.
Guess we'll have to see pics of the supermodel GF first before we can pass judgement on the WI police.

Get notified of new replies

To First Speeding Ticket in my Vette...

Old 01-24-2009, 03:39 PM
yellowvette1992
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry to hear about your ticket. Got my first speeding ticket in Oct. in Carson City,Nv Ina rental car said I was doing 43 in a 25(I was sightseeing @ 8:39 night). He dropped it to 35 in a 25 and it cost me
$87.00) I felt lucky. Am 63 and like I said 1st speeding ticket. Any how good luck in your jpb search, things are tough all over. AM looking for work myself and went the other day to apply for a job and left. There were 300 people in line for one job!

SAVE THE WAVE
Old 01-24-2009, 07:50 PM
rzmnco
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What the hell are points anyway? I don't under stand this!? I should just show up at the cort date and tell them i would rather do community service then pay a fine! Would that get me out of it?
Points go agianst your driving record. In Maryland if you get 7 with in 3 years they take your license,if you pay the fine up front then thats admitting guilt and you get full points. For me my ticket would have been five points. Yours isn't that bad so paying isn't the worst idea but it not being that bad could mean they could let you off, if you show up in court ask for them to take it easy on you since its your first ticket and would like keep a clean driving record, and don't want your car insurance to go up.
Old 01-24-2009, 08:32 PM
ride250s
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rzmnco
Points go agianst your driving record. In Maryland if you get 7 with in 3 years they take your license,if you pay the fine up front then thats admitting guilt and you get full points. For me my ticket would have been five points. Yours isn't that bad so paying isn't the worst idea but it not being that bad could mean they could let you off, if you show up in court ask for them to take it easy on you since its your first ticket and would like keep a clean driving record, and don't want your car insurance to go up.
It's not my first ticket, just the first one in the vette. I have one other one from last april when I was in my 1984 CRX coasting down a hill and day dreaming for the most part... I did not have speeding or driving fast on my mind haha. Next thing I know I look over and there is a cop behind the bushes with her radar gun out pointing it at me and her lights came on. I was kinda cinfused, then I looked at me speedo and I was doing 12 over coasting! She was nice and gave me a 1 to 5 over which cost me $65. That ticket was in Iowa, the ticket yesterday was in Wisconsin, I don't think the wisconsin points will count agains my iowa points. So for the wisconsin ticket I for 4 points (you need 12 in a year to lose your licens).

I kind of want to fight it, but that means I have to drive 50 miles to the little town I got busted in! And I don't know if the court cost will be more than the ticket so I should probably just pay the $160 I got fined.

Quick Reply: First Speeding Ticket in my Vette...