Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

South Florida Mechanic for C4 clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 06:17 PM
pr1mu5
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default South Florida Mechanic for C4 clutch?

Hi All,

I've got this grinding noise when I push in the clutch all the way, and I don't think I have the time/patience/garage to do this job myself.

I normally go to Horsepower Sales in Pompano Beach, the best around for upgrades, cool stuff, but I think this is more of just a general repair thing, and I don't want to travel so far.

Any recommendations closer to Boynton Beach for a good mechanic? I'm thinking this might just be a clutch component, not the entire clutch that is bad, as the clutch still works fine, doesn't smell burning, it just grinds when I push it in all the way...
Old 01-20-2009, 08:28 PM
Radioshop
Pro

My go-to guy is in Miami, which is even worse. You may want to ask the someone in the Corvette Club of the Palm Beaches ( http://www.ccpb.us/ ).
Old 01-20-2009, 11:01 PM
QuikZilver
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

John...I know this is blasphemous, since I only take my cars to HPS as well (even for general repairs and such), but there is also Eissman's (sp?) Corvette up in Jupiter. They do mainly general repairs and not much in the way of mods.
BTW...missed you at the Challenge in December...I placed Second. Hope to see you for the Feb event.
Old 01-20-2009, 11:10 PM
VetteMed
Le Mans Master

Received 215 Likes on 142 Posts

If you decide to wrench on it yourself, let me know -- I live in Boynton Beach also, and I've got some experience with clutch issues (mostly on the T56, but the basic mechanics are the same).
Old 01-21-2009, 07:32 AM
pr1mu5
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by VetteMed
If you decide to wrench on it yourself, let me know -- I live in Boynton Beach also, and I've got some experience with clutch issues (mostly on the T56, but the basic mechanics are the same).
Thanks for the proposed help... I'm going to get the car up on ramps in the next day or two and see if the exhaust is going to come off without too much trouble... if that ends up not being a big deal then maybe I'll give this a shot.

I just love the instructions I've read so far to replace the clutch:
# Disconnect the negative battery cable, then raise and support the vehicle safely.
# Remove the complete exhaust system.
# Remove the transmission assembly.

Awesome.
Old 01-21-2009, 09:54 AM
XQIZT
Drifting

Eismann's in Jupiter...great honest shop. They did my prepurchase inspection in 2003 and were spot on with every thing they found.
A C1 was there, so I figure they have their act together.
Old 01-21-2009, 02:29 PM
VetteMed
Le Mans Master

Received 215 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by pr1mu5
Thanks for the proposed help... I'm going to get the car up on ramps in the next day or two and see if the exhaust is going to come off without too much trouble... if that ends up not being a big deal then maybe I'll give this a shot.

I just love the instructions I've read so far to replace the clutch:
# Disconnect the negative battery cable, then raise and support the vehicle safely.
# Remove the complete exhaust system.
# Remove the transmission assembly.

Awesome.
I just had the exhaust out of my 94 in order to install a Hurst shifter. It's not too bad, really. There's the bolts from just behind the cats, to the intermediate pipes. 3 per flange. THen it's just the hangers all along the way. The spring-loaded hangers are a little tricky but not impossible. Soak it all in PB Blaster for a while before trying to loosen anything though.

Get notified of new replies

To South Florida Mechanic for C4 clutch?

Quick Reply: South Florida Mechanic for C4 clutch?