Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Headliner

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 12:10 AM
MrWiggly
Racer

Location: Sunny Seaside Seabrook Texas (a whole 'nother country)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Headliner

I just bought a replacement headliner for my '92. Any hints on installation? I'm not quite sure how the framework comes apart to accept the new headliner...
Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks,
Old 01-07-2009, 12:29 AM
yaknow
Le Mans Master

Received 226 Likes on 155 Posts

I just laid it out, sprayed the adhesive down, flattened it out by hand and carefully tucked the excess in with a plastic putty knife.
Old 01-07-2009, 12:32 AM
StealthLT4
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Just like yaknow said. 3M spray adhesive, some 409 to clean the top beforehand, and some knife that won't scratch the plastic surrounds when you tuck the headliner into the edge. Pretty easy job when you can take the top off the car and set it on a table
Old 01-07-2009, 07:57 AM
runner140*
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 282 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by yaknow
I just laid it out, sprayed the adhesive down, flattened it out by hand and carefully tucked the excess in with a plastic putty knife.
Its just that easy.
Old 01-07-2009, 08:26 AM
myred86
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I received the kit for Christmas- so i don't need to pull the existing cover off of the cardboard? You guys didn't pull the cardboard out of the top to do this? Just curious!
Old 01-07-2009, 08:40 AM
auto_cran
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by myred86
I received the kit for Christmas- so i don't need to pull the existing cover off of the cardboard? You guys didn't pull the cardboard out of the top to do this? Just curious!
I did pull out the cardboard backing from the top.

Once it was out, I carefully took off the old headliner. Then I sprayed the headliner adhesive to the cardboard, and carefully put the new headliner on - make sure its nice and tight. As I rolled it over the edges, I used duct tape to hold it (since it would be out of sight).

After it dries on the cardboard, simply place the cardboard back into the top. My cardboard/headliner piece fit back in the top pretty tight, but just to be safe, I applied some velcro stips - again out of sight. Came out perfect.

One tip - when spraying the adhesive - make sure you do it in an area where there is no wind. That stuff can get messy if it starts flying!

Good luck!

Chris
----------
1988 Chevrolet Corvette 35th Anniversary #1941/2050
1989 Pontiac Turbo Trans Am #760 (1950 miles)
1986 Pontiac Fiero GT V6/5-speed
1983 Delorean DMC-12
1986 Toyota Supra MKII
1985 Kawasaki Eliminator ZL900
Old 01-07-2009, 09:43 AM
NEVRL8T
Race Director

My 92 didn't have a "cardboard" piece. It had a fiberglass type board that was starting to crumble apart. I used a putty knife to get the edges loose then a metal spatula to slowly work the board from the top. The bad part is getting all the old adhesive off the top and off the fiber board. Spray the top with the 3M adhesive and wrap the board with the new headliner. Once it was dry I glued the headliner/board back into the top like it came from the factory.
Old 01-07-2009, 10:58 PM
johnnymo63
Le Mans Master

Received 202 Likes on 123 Posts
2021 C4 of the Year - Modified Finalist
C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I installed my own headliner to the blue tinted top I painted. (Plexiglass was fryed)
I have a link to the thread about it in my signature.
Old 02-10-2009, 11:37 PM
MrWiggly
Racer

Default Contact cement vs. 3M spray adhesive

Anyone use contact cement instead of 3m adhesive for headliner replacement?
Old 02-10-2009, 11:51 PM
xCCTer
CF JASOC Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Downtown Annapolis, MD. The Future is where we all have to live. Let's not screw it up.
Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

I was going to do the kit, but the padding under the fabric just kept crumbling as I tried to get the old adhesive off of it.

I couldn't get to a layer where it wasn't still crumbling, so I figured it had to be replaced thinking whatever new adhesive would just lose adhesion as the padding continued to deteriorate. So...

I took my fiberglass targa to a local upholstery shop that does hot-rods and boats.

He stripped all the old padding out down to the fiberglass and installed new padding and headliner material for $150.

Call me crazy.
Old 02-11-2009, 12:12 AM
MrWiggly
Racer

WOW - my kit alone cost $150 (Corvette Central) and I've gotta do it myself!...you're not crazy- I am!
Old 02-11-2009, 01:09 AM
carguy604
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Ok, go ahead and laugh, but mine looks 100% factory and it cost me less than $25 and an evening's work. I went to the building supply store and bought some 3/16" rolled cork sheeting as well as the spray adhesive. Then I went to a fabric store and bought the black cloth by the yard. Then I went home tore everything out of the original and tossed it. I then made up a cardboard template for the insert (don't try using corrugated cardboard as you'll end up fighting with it - use the flat stuff) and just kept trimming it until it was about 1/8" smaller all the way around than the inside of the targa top. That became my template for the cork which I then easily cut to size using some sharp scissors. I then used the template to cut my cloth - making sure that the cloth was about 1/2" larger (in all directions) than the dimensions of the template. Finally, I masked off the outside of the targa top with newspaper and masking tape to protect the finish - and then masked off all the areas aroud the perimeter where I didn't want to spray adhesive. Then I sprayed the underside of the targa top as well as one side of the cork and then set it in place. Make sure to get it right the first time - it's hell to move once it's been set down! Then I worked out any bubbles and made sure that the cork was glued down everywhere. Then I sprayed the cork and (carefully) set the fabric down onto it - again making sure it's where you want it. Smooth out any wrinkles from the centre out to the edges and tuck the edges into the crevice with a soft blunt tool (I think I used a plastic scraper if I recall correctly). The finish product is just about NCRS perfect and it's considerably quieter than what was in there before. Cork is an excellent natural sound deadener - try it, you'll like it!
Old 02-11-2009, 08:04 AM
runner140*
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 282 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by yaknow
It became a fast and easy job. Purchase 3M adhesive...it works.
Old 02-11-2009, 09:15 AM
NEVRL8T
Race Director

Originally Posted by MrWiggly
Anyone use contact cement instead of 3m adhesive for headliner replacement?
I wouldn't use contact. The 3M adhesive is made for headliners. Contact involves too much work. You have to coat the headliner and the hardboard to get it to stick. Double the work when all you have to do is spray the hardboard or mounting surface. Brushing contact on a flimsy headliner would not be eay.
Old 02-11-2009, 11:54 AM
M.J.L.
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11

Mine had foam underneath the material. I threw out the foam and the material. The foam was rotting and smelled horrific! Can I just glue the material down to the bare fiberglass? I need the extra headroom because I am 6'3" and when I had the old foam/material in there, I got cramped. Now I have about an inch more room.

Get notified of new replies

To Headliner

Quick Reply: Headliner