C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

jack stands for lowering?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 05:55 PM
ragged claws
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default jack stands for lowering?

Can't find this in Search. When searching for lowering posts I ran across a post that said you need to raise the front of the car 36" in order to remove the front spring. Where can I get jack stands that will safely raise the front this much. Also, does anyone have a link to the most detailed instructions for lowering the front.

Thanks, Kim
Old 12-11-2008, 06:01 PM
J Surf
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didnt raise mine , that much at all. Stealth helped me with mine
Old 12-11-2008, 07:42 PM
corvettedan22
Melting Slicks

Some one will post the detailed link. Here is some pics 4 you

Old 12-11-2008, 08:48 PM
J Surf
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didnt raise mine half that much 2 do it
Old 12-11-2008, 09:08 PM
Z51JEFF
Race Director

Received 644 Likes on 421 Posts
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by corvettedan22

Some one will post the detailed link. Here is some pics 4 you

The height is about right but the angle at the jack stands is too much,try and bring the back up to reduce the angle at the jack stands but the front has to be pretty high,put the back of the car on a set of ramps.DONT BEAT ON ANYTHING,I used a brass punch on the ball joint to release it.Send me an email if you needs some tips.When I did mine it took forever to get the spring out but maybe an hour to get the car back together.
Old 12-12-2008, 03:22 AM
Weav's Vet
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

24" to the bottom of the front rotor will do it.
Old 12-12-2008, 10:32 AM
ragged claws
Pro

Thanks for all the info and photos, guys. If I have to raise it 24" to the bottom of the front rotor, what kind/brand of jack stands to you recommend? Also, What is the procedure for unloading the front spring without maiming oneself?
Old 12-12-2008, 11:43 AM
Weav's Vet
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by ragged claws
Also, What is the procedure for unloading the front spring without maiming oneself?
Very carefully!!!

I used a floor jack. Just make sure it is parallel with the spring. In other words, under the rotor so to speak. It'll kick out if it's not and you don't want that!!!

I have stands from Advance, 6 ton. You'll either have to put the jack on something or something on top of the jack to get it that high. Unless you have a jack that the lift is more than about 19" or so. I lucked out because the concrete apron slopped so that helped me out with the height.

Last edited by Weav's Vet; 12-12-2008 at 11:45 AM.
Old 12-12-2008, 11:58 AM
ragged claws
Pro

Originally Posted by Weav's Vet
Very carefully!!!

I used a floor jack. Just make sure it is parallel with the spring. In other words, under the rotor so to speak. It'll kick out if it's not and you don't want that!!!

I have stands from Advance, 6 ton. You'll either have to put the jack on something or something on top of the jack to get it that high. Unless you have a jack that the lift is more than about 19" or so. I lucked out because the concrete apron slopped so that helped me out with the height.

That photo helps a lot. How much height did the concrete lip give you? What would be safe to put under the jack stands for increased height? I'm thinking maybe a couple of 2x8s.
Old 12-12-2008, 12:03 PM
Weav's Vet
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Under the stands themselves.....probably nothing!!! They need to be firmly planted! I was speaking of raising the jack for increased throw.

I'm gueesing the apron is probably about 1 1/2" below the floor where the rear tires are but that little bit helped a lot at the front of the car.
Old 12-12-2008, 05:37 PM
ragged claws
Pro

Originally Posted by Weav's Vet
Under the stands themselves.....probably nothing!!! They need to be firmly planted! I was speaking of raising the jack for increased throw.

I'm gueesing the apron is probably about 1 1/2" below the floor where the rear tires are but that little bit helped a lot at the front of the car.
I was just on the NAPA website and it looks like the 6 ton jack stands are the only ones that will get me high enough to do this. Now I've got to find a floor jack that will raise the car 2'. Any suggestions?
Old 12-12-2008, 06:24 PM
Weav's Vet
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

I was just on the NAPA website and it looks like the 6 ton jack stands are the only ones that will get me high enough to do this. Now I've got to find a floor jack that will raise the car 2'. Any suggestions?
I went the cheap route on the jack itself. Got it at Advance when I got the stands. About $100.00 I think, it's been a while. It's throw is 19" that is why I was mentioning the lumber to make it raise it higher. You may be able to get it to a centain point and then reposition the jack to a different location that is a little lower than the jack points are and do it that way. You'll figure it out! Just get started, it will fall into place. Sounds like you're on the right track with all of your research.
Old 12-12-2008, 06:47 PM
janarvae
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I probably have the same jack as him. Is it a blue aluminum "low profile" racing jack? If so, I have that one and found out it's the same one sold by Harbor Freight for less. It's a good, solid jack though. Using wood underneath the jack will help get you to the right height, but it requires long and wide pieces of wood that can get a little cumbersome at times. That is why I have 3 hydraulic bottle jacks now (20 ton, 10 ton, 4 ton) and can lift the car in no time. They are small, easy to transport, easy to pump, more controlled in their release (IMHO), and are cheaper than a regular jack.

For stands, weav's AutoZone stands look like my 3 ton high-lift Craftsman jack stands.

Good luck and be safe,

Jonathan
Old 12-12-2008, 09:17 PM
ragged claws
Pro

Thanks for all the help and encouragement, guys. I am pretty intimidated by this lowering project but as soon as I think I have enough info to do it safely without screwing up my car I'm going to go for it!
I don't know anything about hydraulic bottle jacks. Where can I get some info on them? I don't put my car in the air all that often so if I can get by without a floor jack all the better. I have a small Craftsman floor jack (1.5 ton I think) but have only used it to lift one wheel at a time so far.
Old 12-13-2008, 12:58 AM
janarvae
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for all the help and encouragement, guys. I am pretty intimidated by this lowering project but as soon as I think I have enough info to do it safely without screwing up my car I'm going to go for it!
I don't know anything about hydraulic bottle jacks. Where can I get some info on them? I don't put my car in the air all that often so if I can get by without a floor jack all the better. I have a small Craftsman floor jack (1.5 ton I think) but have only used it to lift one wheel at a time so far.
Well the issue with bottle jacks are that they are only useful on the corvettes when already raised by a regular jack. I think you'd be hard pressed to find a bottle jack short enough to fit under the side rails of any year corvette. However, on my SUV, it is a perfect fit and lifts several tons with ease.

On the corvette, I first use the low-profile jack to jack it up. Then I can put a bottle jack underneath there and lift it up much higher than the regular jack can. If you already have a floor jack, you don't have to buy a bottle jack - I just find it makes everything easier for me. And remember to block the rear wheels, use the E-brake, and put in Park with an Automatic.

Last edited by janarvae; 12-13-2008 at 01:01 AM. Reason: Realized you already have a jack....
Old 12-13-2008, 03:08 AM
Z51JEFF
Race Director

Im intimidated by the crazy angles you guys got these cars in some of these picturesIm in Fremont,maybe I can stop by and give you a hand.
Old 12-13-2008, 03:53 AM
Mr. Peabody
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 477 Likes on 353 Posts
C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by janarvae
On the corvette, I first use the low-profile jack to jack it up. Then I can put a bottle jack underneath there and lift it up much higher than the regular jack can. If you already have a floor jack, you don't have to buy a bottle jack - I just find it makes everything easier for me. And remember to block the rear wheels, use the E-brake, and put in Park with an Automatic.
I've done this also. You know if you have a small portable compressor, after you've blocked the rear tires, you can let half the air out of the rear tires to gain another inch in difference. When done just refill.

Get notified of new replies

To jack stands for lowering?

Old 12-13-2008, 08:19 AM
AGENT 86
Race Director

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

A few pics from when I did mine.

Old 12-13-2008, 10:24 AM
ragged claws
Pro

Originally Posted by Z51JEFF
Im intimidated by the crazy angles you guys got these cars in some of these picturesIm in Fremont,maybe I can stop by and give you a hand.
Hey Jeff,
I'd like to take you up on that offer to help me lower my car. I live in Rio Vista in the Delta so it's a bit of a drive. I've got a 2 car garage to work in and an assortment of hand tools. I need to get some jack stands and a better floor jack as well some more tools appropriate for the job at hand. Any advice on this stuff will be appreciated. Needless to say, lunch, beer, and your gas will be on me. I'm retired so I'm available any time. You can PM me with any questions or advice.

Thanks, Kim

P.S. Even though my name is Kim, I'm a dude. Don't want you to think that you'd be helping out a Pamela Anderson look-alike.
Old 12-13-2008, 05:14 PM
Z51JEFF
Race Director

I got a cheap 2 ton floor jack at Harbor Freight Tools for $70.00.Have you decided which spring your going to use?

Quick Reply: jack stands for lowering?