C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Saw a C4, & later an Infiniti GTR

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 08:00 PM
El T1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Saw a C4, & later an Infiniti GTR

So I was driving near work and saw a red C4 (had LT1 tips and taillights). I thought, "Whoa, that is a bad-a$$ mother f-er. Sweet ride!"

Then later I saw a brand new Infiniti GTR with dealer tags (also red). I thought, "Hmmm. Nice appliance--fast, lots of computer assist for driving...if I were 13 years old I might really want one of those." Not exactly a timeless design...
Old 12-08-2008, 08:33 PM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,314 Likes on 754 Posts

Originally Posted by El T1
So I was driving near work and saw a red C4 (had LT1 tips and taillights). I thought, "Whoa, that is a bad-a$$ mother f-er. Sweet ride!"

Then later I saw a brand new Infiniti GTR with dealer tags (also red). I thought, "Hmmm. Nice appliance--fast, lots of computer assist for driving...if I were 13 years old I might really want one of those." Not exactly a timeless design...
It looks like a Transformer.

Unlike the original 240Z and the circa 1990 300ZX, this car will cause no pulses to race 20 years from now. It might even be viewed as ugly/dated.

Still, if it is all about performance, nothing else in the price range, even the current Z06, can stay with it.
Old 12-08-2008, 09:38 PM
bobzilla850
Intermediate

different strokes for different folks man
Old 12-08-2008, 09:41 PM
StealthLT4
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Onyx C4
It looks like a Transformer.

Unlike the original 240Z and the circa 1990 300ZX, this car will cause no pulses to race 20 years from now. It might even be viewed as ugly/dated.

Still, if it is all about performance, nothing else in the price range, even the current Z06, can stay with it.
I view it as ugly now ...

But like you said, the performance is staggering. I don't understand how a 3800-lb car can do what it does...
Old 12-09-2008, 10:17 PM
El T1
Instructor

Originally Posted by StealthLT4
I view it as ugly now ...

But like you said, the performance is staggering. I don't understand how a 3800-lb car can do what it does...
Staggering performance does not a pretty car make...

I had a rust-bucket '72 half ton with a built 427 big block that would practically give you whiplash...didn't make it any better looking...
Old 12-09-2008, 10:32 PM
kenmack
Pro

Default Lotsa ugly

There have always been lots of ugly cars that go fast,and when they get a bit older you can't give em away!!!!!
Old 12-09-2008, 11:12 PM
DDSLT5
Team Owner

Received 68 Likes on 40 Posts

WTF is an infinity GTR?
Old 12-09-2008, 11:18 PM
StealthLT4
Safety Car

Originally Posted by DDSLT5
WTF is an infinity GTR?
I'm assuming he means the Nissan GTR.

BTW, the exhaust tips are the worst part. I think they're 5" or something like that.

Old 12-09-2008, 11:51 PM
JimiHendrix
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Ahhhhh, it is not faster than a Z06 thank you..

BTW, the exhaust tips are the worst part. I think they're 5" or something like that.

Old 12-09-2008, 11:56 PM
JimiHendrix
Drifting

Z06 is lighter and more powerful. Grand Turbo Ricer ("AKA" GTR) has AWD and LAUNCH CONTROL. Z06 will catch that heavy azz GTR and beat it's face in past 75mph. It might give the Z06 a race in the curvies...and even there it is dependent on the driver. And good lord IT's UGLY AS SIN>>>>>>>>>>> I bet that even with "launch control" (yawn) , you have to still launch it right to beat a Z06 out of the hole. . . .meaning....rev that ho' to the high moon.

Last edited by JimiHendrix; 12-09-2008 at 11:58 PM.
Old 12-10-2008, 12:14 AM
Eakster
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's a friggin cool car regardless

I got *really* excited on seeing my first one. The driver looked to be crapping himself and taking it very easy.

I hope they are as reliable as our cars (don't laugh), otherwise they're gonna be a nightmare to own
Old 12-10-2008, 01:08 AM
mnstrlt1
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have already seen a few around here (Phoenix), but I am not impressed, they are HUGE (external dimensions, and obviously the weight). The original inline-6 skylines (that never sold here until this recent model) kicked @ss.

The older i get the simplier I want my cars... this thing is an electrical/plumbing nightmare! The early 90's showed us that these things can get pretty complicated and once the miles add up, they become DIRT cheap.... only because it will cost the new owner a fortune to maintain-repair etc.

dare I say it, "these things are over engineered"! Almost allows any idiot look like a champion near the limit (since so much of the actual driving is not being controlled by the car).

these things are "insurance" polices for the dealership (hear me out), they make them so heavily computer controlled and complicated that the average car enthusiast is going to "have to" take it to the dealer, even for regular maintanence.

What ever happened to "raw" power, with minimal computer controlled interference?
Old 12-10-2008, 01:09 AM
mnstrlt1
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think for that kind of money (not including the ridiculous dealer mark ups), I would shop for something else.
Old 12-10-2008, 02:51 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by mnstrlt1
I have already seen a few around here (Phoenix), but I am not impressed, they are HUGE (external dimensions, and obviously the weight). The original inline-6 skylines (that never sold here until this recent model) kicked @ss.

The older i get the simplier I want my cars... this thing is an electrical/plumbing nightmare! The early 90's showed us that these things can get pretty complicated and once the miles add up, they become DIRT cheap.... only because it will cost the new owner a fortune to maintain-repair etc.

dare I say it, "these things are over engineered"! Almost allows any idiot look like a champion near the limit (since so much of the actual driving is not being controlled by the car).

these things are "insurance" polices for the dealership (hear me out), they make them so heavily computer controlled and complicated that the average car enthusiast is going to "have to" take it to the dealer, even for regular maintanence.

What ever happened to "raw" power, with minimal computer controlled interference?

Less is more these days.
Old 12-12-2008, 05:43 PM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by JimiHendrix
Z06 is lighter and more powerful. Grand Turbo Ricer ("AKA" GTR) has AWD and LAUNCH CONTROL. Z06 will catch that heavy azz GTR and beat it's face in past 75mph. It might give the Z06 a race in the curvies...and even there it is dependent on the driver. And good lord IT's UGLY AS SIN>>>>>>>>>>> I bet that even with "launch control" (yawn) , you have to still launch it right to beat a Z06 out of the hole. . . .meaning....rev that ho' to the high moon.
I gotta disagree with the "dependent on the driver" bit. Apparently, this computerized monster darned near drives itself. In a recent Road & Track comparison on 4 different tracks (including an oval for crying out loud) it killed the Z06 -- no driver dependency there

If you've ever driven an AWD car (I owned an AWD Eagle Talon Turbo about 10 years ago) you would be amazed at how easy they are to drive hard -- just gives you great confidence. I can only imagine what all that technology does.

Unfortunately it is butt-ugly. Could the GT-R be the first car ever described as a "2-bagger?"
Old 12-12-2008, 10:30 PM
RickF
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My first thought when I saw the picture was "it looks like a Japanese mustang" especially from the a pillar back.

BTW I'm not a Mustang basher; I owned a used 95 vert GT. No complaints.
Old 12-13-2008, 12:10 AM
JimiHendrix
Drifting

How do you like your rice cooked? I read that Road and TRack article and noted that the ZO6 beat the GTR by a full 2 seconds in the 0-120 mph accel. I also noted that the Z06 lapped a 123 mph quarter at 11.7, and the GTR was MUCH slower at 116 mph @ 11.8. The car's heavy weight is apparent.

The track conditions suited the AWD vehicle because it was slippery. I agree that the GTR did beat the Z06, but it didn't kill it.

If you look at a real life situation/////like testing on a certain famous German track....which tests a good combination of a car capabilities, the Corvette beat the GTR by a huge margin (7 seconds). Viper is still on top, but it also is rear wheel drive pure unadulterated American Muscle.

"Back at the Nürburgring, the hot Chevrolet Corvette ZR-1 has just ripped four seconds off its claimed 7:26 lap. The new time, with Jan Magnussen at the wheel, is a claimed 7:22.4 for the full 12.93-mile loop. While the number is pretty bloody fast, it is still .3 seconds off the time earned by the Dodge Viper ACR (ouch, those three tenths really have to hurt!). We take these lap times with a grain of salt, as we've yet to see everyone on the 73-turn course under the same conditions, and with officially certified timing equipment. Again, so you don't have to Google the competition's best-claimed Ring times yourself, here they are: Porsche GT2 - 7:32, Nissan GT-R - 7:29, Corvette ZR1 - 7:22.4 and the Dodge Viper ACR - 7:22."

Originally Posted by Onyx C4
I gotta disagree with the "dependent on the driver" bit. Apparently, this computerized monster darned near drives itself. In a recent Road & Track comparison on 4 different tracks (including an oval for crying out loud) it killed the Z06 -- no driver dependency there

If you've ever driven an AWD car (I owned an AWD Eagle Talon Turbo about 10 years ago) you would be amazed at how easy they are to drive hard -- just gives you great confidence. I can only imagine what all that technology does.

Unfortunately it is butt-ugly. Could the GT-R be the first car ever described as a "2-bagger?"

Get notified of new replies

To Saw a C4, & later an Infiniti GTR

Old 12-13-2008, 12:24 AM
1985 Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 387 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by mnstrlt1

I agree, while I find the technology to be awesome in any new car, I dread to think what these things would be like to work on years down the road when stuff starts going south. Same thing goes for the C6.

I remember looking under the hood of a 63 split window and could probably count the barely inch thick wire looms with one hand. Try that with a new vette.

My gutted 85 looks so peaceful, it's amlost a shame I have to stuff a snakepit of wires back into it.
Old 12-14-2008, 12:43 AM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by JimiHendrix
How do you like your rice cooked? I read that Road and TRack article and noted that the ZO6 beat the GTR by a full 2 seconds in the 0-120 mph accel. I also noted that the Z06 lapped a 123 mph quarter at 11.7, and the GTR was MUCH slower at 116 mph @ 11.8. The car's heavy weight is apparent.

The track conditions suited the AWD vehicle because it was slippery. I agree that the GTR did beat the Z06, but it didn't kill it.

If you look at a real life situation/////like testing on a certain famous German track....which tests a good combination of a car capabilities, the Corvette beat the GTR by a huge margin (7 seconds). Viper is still on top, but it also is rear wheel drive pure unadulterated American Muscle.

"Back at the Nürburgring, the hot Chevrolet Corvette ZR-1 has just ripped four seconds off its claimed 7:26 lap. The new time, with Jan Magnussen at the wheel, is a claimed 7:22.4 for the full 12.93-mile loop. While the number is pretty bloody fast, it is still .3 seconds off the time earned by the Dodge Viper ACR (ouch, those three tenths really have to hurt!). We take these lap times with a grain of salt, as we've yet to see everyone on the 73-turn course under the same conditions, and with officially certified timing equipment. Again, so you don't have to Google the competition's best-claimed Ring times yourself, here they are: Porsche GT2 - 7:32, Nissan GT-R - 7:29, Corvette ZR1 - 7:22.4 and the Dodge Viper ACR - 7:22."
C'mon -- so the Z06 was faster in a straight line? We all know that. But in all the other tests of handling and transitional speed, the GS-R dominated. Shocking, disappointing, un-American? Sure -- but true nonetheless. Now when you cited Nurburgring, do you really expect us to miss that your comparison switched to the >$100K ZR1? Kinda apples and oranges doncha think? I don't have the numbers in front of me but I think you'll find the similarly priced Z06 lapped the Ring much more slowly than the computer controlled Godzillamobile. Give Nissan's engineers the credit they deserve for defying the laws of physics at an amazing price -- then give their stylists the crap they deserve
Old 12-14-2008, 12:55 AM
StealthLT4
Safety Car

yeah I love how Chevy likes to compare its $100k car to Nissan's $70k, when it has a $70k vette of its own...

Quick Reply: Saw a C4, & later an Infiniti GTR