Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Circuit Breaker - Burned Fingers??

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 12:05 PM
WPK
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Circuit Breaker - Burned Fingers??

Hi All:

I have a 94 Coupe/LT1. The other day, both power seats quit working. Checking the manual, it directed me to a 30Amp Circuit Breaker (not fuse) in the fuse panel at the right of the dashboard. I went to pull it, and it actually burned my fingers....

Has anyone had a similar experience?

Do I just replace it with a new one?

Seems odd that it was soooo hot.

- WPK
Old 11-11-2008, 12:09 PM
jfb
Team Owner

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Those breakers work on heat. Your seat circuit is clearly drawing excessive current. Replacing the breaker won't fix your problem. Look for a stalled motor (stuck at the end of the seat travel) that is stuck on, most likely a seat switch stuck on.
Old 11-11-2008, 08:46 PM
WPK
Instructor

Default Jfb

Thanks.... good heads up.

I'll check it and report back.

- WPK
Old 11-12-2008, 12:13 AM
Ed Ramberger
Drifting

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by jfb
Those breakers work on heat. Your seat circuit is clearly drawing excessive current. Replacing the breaker won't fix your problem. Look for a stalled motor (stuck at the end of the seat travel) that is stuck on, most likely a seat switch stuck on.
Also, over the years I have found many a wire pinched in the seat tracks of all makes and models causing this problem.
Old 11-12-2008, 12:36 AM
navy_vette
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

30amps is a lot of power to begin with. Put it this way, .2 amps AC can kill you. DC is significantly higher, but that will still hurt.

Since you have a 30amp circuit overheating you have a serious short in your seat. Search for any frayed or melted wires that could possibly touch metal. It's gonna be tough, but try to follow the wire coming out of the breaker towards your seat. It will be before the motor, because if it was after it wouldn't be pulling enough amps to heat it up that bad. It is more than likely carpet rubbing against the wire. Look for burnt or melted carpet. That is going to be your only possible indication of a hidden fray. Check all the wires.

If you don't find any frays, you are going to have to start looking for the ground. Get a multimeter and test each of the pins to ground using the Ohm setting. If the wire is green then it is supposed to be ground. If anything else is, follow that wire.

Past that, start ripping up carpet or find a professional.
Old 11-14-2008, 10:40 AM
WPK
Instructor

Default I'll check this weekend

Yikes. Hope it's simple.

- WPK
Old 07-29-2011, 09:25 PM
Deans88
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same problem in my c-4 88. I know its somewhere in the passenger seat, because when my wife sits in it, it will stop working. Then I take a pair of small channel locks and pull out the circuit breaker, so it don't burn your fingers. Wait till it cools off then put it back in and it works again. I'm still searching for my problem and it has to be a wire hitting metal or something, but just about ready to take it to someone that can find it. Another good idea is to take out your fuse that operates your interior lights while your doing this, so it does not run down your battery. Good luck with yours, I'm still looking for mine, Thanks for any other help from others on this thread
Deans88

Get notified of new replies

To Circuit Breaker - Burned Fingers??

Quick Reply: Circuit Breaker - Burned Fingers??