C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Alarm Horns won't turn off

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 10:43 AM
Bob88vette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alarm Horns won't turn off

I did a search and found a few threads around this subject but still confused so forgive me if I wasn't reading between the right lines.

Driving the '88 around Friday night we came out of the store and hit the fob for the afetrmarket alarm. Siren chirped like always but when we opened the door the factory car horn went off which I assume is attached to the factory alarm. The aftermarket alarm has a seperate siren/horn.

Of course clicking the aftermarket clicker off did no good. So we got in the car it started fine and we left with the car horn still blaring. Eventually it timed out but when we got home and turned off the car and opened the door to get out it went off again, same thing.

I disconnected the battery and left it.

I'm confused if this was the factory alarm how did the car start and drive just fine, maybe because I had the VATS key but I would have thought the horn would have quit when I proved I had the right key.

I'm reading here today that the factory alarm is turned off using the door key. Is it as simple as that? I'll try that when I get home but thought I would look for other opinions here also.

Thanks for the continual education.
Old 09-02-2008, 10:48 AM
miks139
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

yes, unlock the door with the key and the alarm should reset.
Old 09-02-2008, 01:59 PM
86PACER
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You need to splice in a relay from Radio Shack to prevent this and give you true keyless entry. Otherwise you have to unlock your door physically with the key before entering to prevent the factory alarm from going off every time. Even if the door was already unlocked by your aftermarket alarm, you have to lock, then unlock with the door key to prevent the horns from going off.

The factory alarm is turned off by turning the door handle key.

I had this exact issue. A former forum member here (CentralCoaster) wired in a relay into my aftermarket alarm and factory power door locks. Both alarms still work as they should, only difference is now I don't have to use the door key, the relay does that for me. This gives me true keyless entry with the aftermarket remote, while still retaining the normal functionality of the factory alarm.

What you heard going off is the Theft Deterrent, not the VATS. The VATS kills the starter and also the ignition. That's why you where still able to drive the car with your key.
Old 09-02-2008, 02:23 PM
Bob88vette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Miks and 86Pacer,

I'm going to try and disarm the factory alarm for now and just not arm it until I can get that relay wired in.

Get notified of new replies

To Alarm Horns won't turn off

Quick Reply: Alarm Horns won't turn off