'94 LT1 engine VIN location?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 01:20 PM
AustinJohn
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default '94 LT1 engine VIN location?

I started a thread last week, "Do Museum Build Sheets include engine number?", because I have long suspected my engine might not be the original. So my thread asked whether the build sheets listed the engine VIN because I thought with the original engine VIN I could check that against the existing engine VIN and answer my question. Instead, what I learned from forum members is it works just the other way round: the build sheets don't list the engine VIN but the engine VIN references the Master VIN and that's the way to confirm numbers.

So armed with that info I checked the number pad but found only a single series ("V0204ZWA") indicating plant location, build date and type of engine. Since the second VIN derivative series was missing I wondered if someone had intentionally removed it but a forum member ran my photo of the number pad past some NCRS folks and they said it didn't look altered and no doubt the VIN derivative set was somewhere else on the car, perhaps (based on a '92 LT1) on the rear shelf of the block behind the left cylinder bank, near the oil filter or on the the driver's side of the bell housing ('96 Lt4).

Unfortunately although I've now spent hours searching both from under the car and from the top I haven't found the VIN derivative set so I've started this more focused thread and I'm asking any '94 LT1 owner out there who might know where the VIN derivative series is to tell me where to look. Many, many thanks in advance!

John
Old 08-18-2008, 06:22 PM
kalister1
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I could be wrong, usually am. I don't think there is any correlation other than proper date code. As long as the engine was built before the car and the correct type. Somebody may know for sure?
Old 08-18-2008, 06:34 PM
94z07fx3
Race Director

The last bit of your VIN, the serial number, is stamped onto the engine and trans.

Watch this video, time index 4:47, and you will see the factory worker stamp the numbers. The engine stamp is top, rear, driver's side.

Old 08-18-2008, 09:44 PM
AustinJohn
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 94z07fx3
The last bit of your VIN, the serial number, is stamped onto the engine and trans.

Watch this video, time index 4:47, and you will see the factory worker stamp the numbers. The engine stamp is top, rear, driver's side.

That without question is the most unusual but absolutely on point answer to a question I've ever seen. And - thanks to your identifying 4:47 as the magic time AND Flash allowing printing stills - I'm out to see what I can see.

Thanks a million!

John
Old 08-19-2008, 07:45 AM
AustinJohn
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

And the answer is - thanks to 94z07fx3's amazing YouTube video (see the last C4 go down the line at Bowling Green at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YII-h...1&p=1566770806) which pointed me toward where to look - I found the engine VIN and it is the original engine. Many thanks also to everyone else who helped along the way.

John
Old 07-13-2021, 08:58 PM
CbaAuto
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 LT1 Vin

Originally Posted by AustinJohn
I started a thread last week, "Do Museum Build Sheets include engine number?", because I have long suspected my engine might not be the original. So my thread asked whether the build sheets listed the engine VIN because I thought with the original engine VIN I could check that against the existing engine VIN and answer my question. Instead, what I learned from forum members is it works just the other way round: the build sheets don't list the engine VIN but the engine VIN references the Master VIN and that's the way to confirm numbers.

So armed with that info I checked the number pad but found only a single series ("V0204ZWA") indicating plant location, build date and type of engine. Since the second VIN derivative series was missing I wondered if someone had intentionally removed it but a forum member ran my photo of the number pad past some NCRS folks and they said it didn't look altered and no doubt the VIN derivative set was somewhere else on the car, perhaps (based on a '92 LT1) on the rear shelf of the block behind the left cylinder bank, near the oil filter or on the the driver's side of the bell housing ('96 Lt4).

Unfortunately although I've now spent hours searching both from under the car and from the top I haven't found the VIN derivative set so I've started this more focused thread and I'm asking any '94 LT1 owner out there who might know where the VIN derivative series is to tell me where to look. Many, many thanks in advance!

John
94 LT1

I found this matching vin number on the rear of the engine left side.. above the oil filter..
why is it nor on the FT.

94 matching vin number but in the wring location?
Old 04-07-2023, 03:28 PM
Stochastic Wolf
4th Gear

So is the serial number the last 5 or the last 6 numbers of the VIN? I'm, having a custom data tag keychain made and need to know exactly what is supposed to be stamped on the engine and trans as the serial number without actually getting under their and looking.
Old 04-07-2023, 04:10 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,270 Likes on 2,031 Posts

Originally Posted by Stochastic Wolf
So is the serial number the last 5 or the last 6 numbers of the VIN? I'm, having a custom data tag keychain made and need to know exactly what is supposed to be stamped on the engine and trans as the serial number without actually getting under their and looking.
It's good you stumbled upon that thread that was started 14 years and several months ago.

If the car is a Corvette and it's an LT1/4 car then the VIN Derivative would be like this:

A Corvette LT1/4 the first 3 digits of the VIN Derivative would be 1X5xxxxxx with 1=(Chevrolet), X=N(92),P(93), R(94), S(95) or T(96) and 5(BGR) followed by xxxxxx(sequence).

The snapshot in the post #6 above would indicate a 1994 production

Dependent upon the year if you posted the 17 digit VIN or the last 8 of it a 'confirmation' of what to expect would be very easy.

Using only the derivative in the snapshot I'd say the VIN of that 1994 is likely 1G1YY32PXR5116404 if a 'vert, if it were a 'coupe the VIN would have been 1G1YY22P7R5116404 but it seems that's likely NOT a valid VIN so I'd guess that block is actually from a '94 vert. @CbaAuto looks to have been a 'one time' only poster.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 04-07-2023 at 04:20 PM.
Old 04-07-2023, 05:10 PM
Stochastic Wolf
4th Gear

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
It's good you stumbled upon that thread that was started 14 years and several months ago.

If the car is a Corvette and it's an LT1/4 car then the VIN Derivative would be like this:

A Corvette LT1/4 the first 3 digits of the VIN Derivative would be 1X5xxxxxx with 1=(Chevrolet), X=N(92),P(93), R(94), S(95) or T(96) and 5(BGR) followed by xxxxxx(sequence).

The snapshot in the post #6 above would indicate a 1994 production

Dependent upon the year if you posted the 17 digit VIN or the last 8 of it a 'confirmation' of what to expect would be very easy.

Using only the derivative in the snapshot I'd say the VIN of that 1994 is likely 1G1YY32PXR5116404 if a 'vert, if it were a 'coupe the VIN would have been 1G1YY22P7R5116404 but it seems that's likely NOT a valid VIN so I'd guess that block is actually from a '94 vert. @CbaAuto looks to have been a 'one time' only poster.
Im asking about the serial number only, assuming that my engine and trans are the original that came with the car, would the last 5 or the last 6 digits of the vin be stamped on the engine and trans as the SERIAL number?
Old 04-07-2023, 05:13 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Im asking about the serial number only, assuming that my engine and trans are the original that came with the car, would the last 5 or the last 6 digits of the vin be stamped on the engine and trans as the SERIAL number?
The last 8 of the VIN preceded by a 1 (one) for any Chevrolet as a VIN Derivative.
Old 04-07-2023, 05:16 PM
Stochastic Wolf
4th Gear

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
The last 8 of the VIN preceded by a 1 (one) for any Chevrolet as a VIN Derivative.
So you're saying that they take the last 8 digits of the vin an add a 1 to the front of it then stamp it?
Old 04-07-2023, 06:52 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

So you're saying that they take the last 8 digits of the vin an add a 1 to the front of it then stamp it?
Yes for Chevrolet, for Pontiac it would be a 2, Oldsmobile I believe 3 and other GM car divisions would have a different first digit.
The following users liked this post:
Stochastic Wolf (04-07-2023)

Get notified of new replies

To '94 LT1 engine VIN location?

Quick Reply: '94 LT1 engine VIN location?