Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

V6 Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 02:07 PM
Master__Shake_
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can't turn a sports car into an economy car - it's blasphemy to even speak of such nonsense. Really, have you even seen a v6 in a high performance Ferarri? I will certainly not wave at any six-bangers.
Old 07-22-2008, 02:10 PM
94 whezzer
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jakers
The one thing that you can count on at this point in this economy is that things will change! The Corvette will probably be a V6 sooner than you think! Unfortunately or fortunately, depending upon your view point... with developing technology Corvette could soon be diesels!??! Hard to imagine!?! I know, it will be traumatizing! But then again, have you ever watch those Audi's prototypes fly around the track?

Things are going to change Ladies and Gentlemen. Sit back an enjoy the show. No need in getting your undies tied in a knot over things you cannot change.

Now, go and hug your modified C4 "gas hog" and then go for a drive and burn up some $4.00 gas! You can still do that!
What he said! Times are a changin.
Old 07-22-2008, 02:19 PM
Randy93
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by Master__Shake_
You can't turn a sports car into an economy car - it's blasphemy to even speak of such nonsense. Really, have you even seen a v6 in a high performance Ferarri? I will certainly not wave at any six-bangers.
Ever hear of a car called Porsche 911???
Old 07-22-2008, 03:35 PM
rickneworleansla
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmac28
Man I hope you are right, but they said corvette and they had corvette footage showing a new ZR1 being assembled. I don't know how they meant camaro.

By the way here's an email I received from Chevy insider regarding yesterdays press conference at 4pm.

Dear Rick,

The wait is over... Today at 4 pm EST Chevy will reveal the 2010 Camaro Coupe (available in dealerships early 2009) simultaneously in two locations — Warren, MI and North Hollywood, California. Along with select news outlets, we are inviting you, one of our Camaro enthusiasts, to be among the first to see this exciting event.

Clicking the link below gets you to:

Video of the actual reveal.

Hot new photos of the 2010 Chevy Camaro.

Production design and engineering specifications.

Up-to-date announcements to keep you in the loop.

Camaro Insider — As close as you can get until you're in the driver's seat.
Old 07-22-2008, 04:03 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 382 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy93
Those don't get waves either!

The uhh GT-R that's all in the news is a v6.
Old 07-22-2008, 04:19 PM
seenalot
Instructor

Old 07-22-2008, 04:24 PM
slicked25
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Man, this would be the beginning of the end for the Corvette. I can see it now every sophomore in high school will have a brand new V6 Corvette that cost $22,000. It’d virtually be the same way you see Camaro’s and 10 million Mustang’s in every parking lot today. The mystic and passion would be gone overnight and until Ferrari does something this insane to make a buck then GM should stay put. Obviously, GM is nervous but they must remember will have a new Prez next year regardless so sit back and smoke another one.
Old 07-22-2008, 04:30 PM
JD'S WHITE 93
Le Mans Master

Received 1,338 Likes on 675 Posts

SWEET !!! I hope it has a 150chp V6 that would do wonders for the value of our lowly C4s
Old 07-22-2008, 04:36 PM
jakers
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by Master__Shake_
I know it is, according to some not technically a Ferrari, but what about the Dino 246? You know the Dino! I would consider that a Ferrari and I would buy one in a minute, If I had the cash. What about all of the Ferrari F1 car that have been V-6 Turbos such as Gilles Villeneuves 126C!

I too am a traditionalist. I love the old push rod V-8. But things will change. You have to ask, "Do I care if the car I am driving has a V6 engine with 400 or 500+ HP?" Think about it... If you had the opportunity to buy a car with ZO6 performance does it really matter what is under the hood. IF the "package had the acceleration, handling, sportscar looks and got 40-50 miles per gallon do you really care how many cylinders it has? How about a rotary? You never know. GM has considered it all and they will revisit their vault of technology soon on the Vette. Remember, they will do what is best for the company especially moving forward. If that means a V6 or a turbo diesel then that is what it will be.

The cool thing is that you can still own "antique" V-8 cars like the C4, C5, and the C6!!!
Old 07-22-2008, 04:44 PM
jakers
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by slicked25
Man, this would be the beginning of the end for the Corvette. I can see it now every sophomore in high school will have a brand new V6 Corvette that cost $22,000. It’d virtually be the same way you see Camaro’s and 10 million Mustang’s in every parking lot today. The mystic and passion would be gone overnight and until Ferrari does something this insane to make a buck then GM should stay put. Obviously, GM is nervous but they must remember will have a new Prez next year regardless so sit back and smoke another one.
Perhaps?! But not likely, GM plans on building fewer models. They are not going to produce a V6 starter Vette! Too expensive to put a car in the same sales slot with Camaro! Plus Corvette owners like the C6 guys who will stand in line to buy the first C7's will not stand for a economy vette. They simply will not buy it! So GM recognizes the value of the Corvette Nation to their sales. Why do you think they pump money into the Corvette Racing program! If GM changes the Corvette it will be a high performance V6 with a super charger or Turbo and will be a sportscar!

Oh yeah, the previous comment on the Porsche 911 was spot on!
Old 07-22-2008, 04:55 PM
Aurora40
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Or the Ferrari Dino?
Old 07-22-2008, 05:00 PM
Sweet 90
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JD'S WHITE 93
SWEET !!! I hope it has a 150chp V6 that would do wonders for the value of our lowly C4s
LMAO Good One
Jim
Old 07-22-2008, 06:04 PM
ps374
Melting Slicks

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

And don't forget that V6 will probably have FWD.But not to fear. Im sure Detroit will give us some of the fanciest striped kit cars we have ever since since the late 1970s. When performance and fuel economy come to place,tape usally takes it place.
Old 07-22-2008, 07:49 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by rickreeves1
By the way here's an email I received from Chevy insider regarding yesterdays press conference at 4pm.

Dear Rick,

The wait is over... Today at 4 pm EST Chevy will reveal the 2010 Camaro Coupe (available in dealerships early 2009) simultaneously in two locations — Warren, MI and North Hollywood, California. Along with select news outlets, we are inviting you, one of our Camaro enthusiasts, to be among the first to see this exciting event.

Clicking the link below gets you to:

Video of the actual reveal.

Hot new photos of the 2010 Chevy Camaro.

Production design and engineering specifications.

Up-to-date announcements to keep you in the loop.

Camaro Insider — As close as you can get until you're in the driver's seat.
Whats the name of the dealer, thats 15 minutes away, .

I just wanna see. (as he checks credit score)
Old 07-22-2008, 08:10 PM
mcfack
Instructor

Originally Posted by Aardwolf
I don't care as long as it's fast. If there is a V6 'vette, will you not wave to them?
No. If a V6 hit the streets, only the older cars would deserve the wave. If you stick with your C4, you'll always get the wave. If a V6 gave me the wave, I might return with the finger as I roast his ****.

BTW - I think it would be stupid for GM to ever do this, but GM is not a very smart company so maybe we should be a bit worried.
Old 07-22-2008, 08:13 PM
Durissus
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If they do come out with a V6, no one's twisting your arm to buy it. And for you "collectible buffs", this should make the V8's that much more desirable, right?
Old 07-22-2008, 08:23 PM
81c3
Le Mans Master

Received 615 Likes on 431 Posts

Wouldnt a V-6 Corvette be another Fiero?* I would also bet that GM would re-visit the possibilities of a mid engine design at that point.

Get notified of new replies

To V6 Corvette

Old 07-22-2008, 09:03 PM
The Saint
Team Owner

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Aardwolf
I don't care as long as it's fast. If there is a V6 'vette, will you not wave to them?
What's the point? C4s are so slow, by the time the driver is able to lift his hand to wave, the V6 Vette is long gone.....
Old 07-22-2008, 09:14 PM
JD'S WHITE 93
Le Mans Master

Received 1,338 Likes on 675 Posts

Originally Posted by The Saint
What's the point? C4s are so slow, by the time the driver is able to lift his hand to wave, the V6 Vette is long gone.....

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1948753
Old 07-22-2008, 09:17 PM
corvette kidd
Instructor

There better not be a v6. I will be disappointed. Back when the corvette was a six cylinder, it did not have the same appeal. I think with all corvettes being 8 cylinders, sets it apart from camaros, firebirds, and mustangs.

Quick Reply: V6 Corvette