C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Scratch Removal

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 07:15 PM
july349
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Scratch Removal

I have some scratches in my clear coat and I`d like to know how I can get them out myself without it costing me a fortune. A friend who owns a detailing shop told me aboiut wet sanding. Is there another alternative?
Thanks.
July349
Old 07-20-2008, 07:25 PM
pianoguy
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

If they're really deep, wet sanding may be the only choice. Might be worth trying to just buff them out first.
Old 07-20-2008, 09:10 PM
jsavoy
Racer

Wet sanding or buffing compounds are the way to go. 1500 grit would be as aggressive as I would go unless you know what you're doing.

http://www.detailking.com/content/view/209/287/
Old 07-20-2008, 09:38 PM
Gary96
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pianoguy
If they're really deep, wet sanding may be the only choice. Might be worth trying to just buff them out first.

If you have light scratches like I did, just by a cheap buffer. It removed most of my scratches and it makes waxing fast and easy.
Old 07-20-2008, 11:24 PM
GKK
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Even on newer cars, the factory clearcoat is not very thick.

Wet sanding deep scratches removes the clearcoat down to the bottom of the scratch and if you succeed in removing the scratch, the clear will be so thin that it'll eventually wear through.

If you don't have any experience using a buffer, just buff the surface by hand using a micro fiber pad and a Cleaner Wax by Mother's or Meguiers (which contain a mild abrasive) followed by another clean micro fiber pad and a Polishing liquid.

Last edited by GKK; 07-20-2008 at 11:37 PM.
Old 07-21-2008, 07:00 AM
Weav's Vet
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

There is also a product made called Scratch Out. It works pretty good on minor ones but if it's deep wet sanding is about the only way to go.
Old 07-21-2008, 08:17 AM
pianoguy
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

If you don't already have one, I'd recommend getting a Porter-Cable 7424 random-orbital buffer. I bought mine along with a pad kit from autogeek.net last year, and have been very happy with it. The pad conditioner and cleaner included with the pad kit is a must, also - great stuff. Get a mild abrasive, like Menzerna Super-Intensive Polish, and you can get rid of light scratches and diminish the appearance of deep ones as well.
Old 07-21-2008, 12:00 PM
dwblindref
Racer

Default buffer

I purchased a Meguair's G110 (newest model) from autogeek.net and they supplied 6 free pads and some free products for $149.00 including free shipping.

I have 2 black cars and let me tell you that the buffer (same as porter-cable buffer) makes it so easy to remove most blemishes with ScratchX or just cleaner wax.

It is a snap to use and reduces the time by at least 1/2.

I'll never hand wax again ............
Old 07-21-2008, 12:21 PM
Weav's Vet
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by pianoguy
If you don't already have one, I'd recommend getting a Porter-Cable 7424 random-orbital buffer. I bought mine along with a pad kit from autogeek.net last year, and have been very happy with it. The pad conditioner and cleaner included with the pad kit is a must, also - great stuff. Get a mild abrasive, like Menzerna Super-Intensive Polish, and you can get rid of light scratches and diminish the appearance of deep ones as well.
I bought the same kit for mine. Beats the chit out of hand buffing or polishing. The clear coat on the newer C4's is really hard especially the '96's. It takes quite a bit of polishing to hurt a factory finish. But it can be done especially on edges where the coat is thin. Like Pianoguy posted. Menzerna polish is good stuff. It's usually done in stages. Start with aggressive and work you way up to the finest finish for the last application followed by a coat of really good wax.

Last edited by Weav's Vet; 07-21-2008 at 12:35 PM.
Old 07-21-2008, 12:28 PM
EVIL_C5
Uber Waxer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Cruise-In 8-9-10-11 Veteran
CI 9, 10 & 11 Car Show Winner
St. Jude Donor '08-'10

heres a C4 I did a while back that had some fine scratches. A rotary with a wool pad and Menzerna SIP were used. if they get much deeper, you would have to correct the paint a little more via other means.

http://picasaweb.google.com/briandrice/TJSC4

Last edited by EVIL_C5; 07-21-2008 at 12:47 PM.
Old 07-21-2008, 12:36 PM
ELVIS' C4
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '09, '13

Bought mine @ Griot's Garage. They have good tutorials for beginners on scratch removal, polishing, waxing, etc. Plus their stuff is top-notch!

Check it out!

Get notified of new replies

To Scratch Removal

Quick Reply: Scratch Removal