Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Possible C4 purchase for weekend use. Advice appreciated.

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 10:04 AM
90lxstang
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible C4 purchase for weekend use. Advice appreciated.

I have always wanted a C4 Vette for weekend warrior use and keep my Mustang 5.0 as a nice DD. I recently picked up an 84 Firebird from a close friend for free....yes, free. But it is basically a huge piece of garbage. My goal is to get a nice riding weekend car running 12's in the 1/4 on 93 pump gas and ET street tires. Do you guys think I should totally gut and replace my current Firebird, or pick up a decent C4 in the $5-6K range? What type of mods would I have to do to the C4 in order to achieve this? I have been a Ford guy and am just getting into the GM/Chevy world as I have always been a fan.

My current idea for the Firebird is a well built 383 stroker, turbo 400 tranny and the rear end + gears to back it up. Any info would be appreciated as I'd like to use my money in the best way possible. College is expensive!
Old 07-15-2008, 09:27 PM
FOURSPEEDVETTE
Safety Car

Received 224 Likes on 156 Posts

Its going to be tough to find a "decent" C4 in that price range unless it needs work. Many people on this forum will tell you that there are loads of them for sale at that price and in their minds they may think these cars are perfect beauties. When you go to look at them you will see what I mean. Good luck but you may have to up your price a bit for one that may be more reliable.

Last edited by FOURSPEEDVETTE; 07-15-2008 at 09:29 PM.
Old 07-15-2008, 09:42 PM
XQIZT
Drifting

you can find a "decent" early c4 in that range that runs but it won't be winning any beauty pageants. since you are looking to do serious mods to the engine, all i would worry about is a good body and interior. depending on how handy you are will your wrenches, it is possible. L98 motors are relatively easy to work on with basic tools and the FSM. making a 12 second car isn't going to be cheap no matter where you start though. if you find something and want a second opinion, send me a PM and i'd be happy to check it out with you. good luck with your search and go knights!
Old 07-15-2008, 10:07 PM
Redeasysport
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06

Originally Posted by 90lxstang
I keep my Mustang 5.0 as a nice DD.
Say it ain't so

I recently picked up an 84 Firebird from a close friend for free....yes, free. But it is basically a huge piece of garbage. My goal is to get a nice riding weekend car running 12's in the 1/4 on 93 pump gas and ET street tires.!
Add $5-6K and you might get there

Do you guys think I should totally gut and replace my current Firebird, or pick up a decent C4 in the $5-6K range?
Ain't gonna find a decent one for that price(yet)

What type of mods would I have to do to the C4 in order to achieve this?
Heads ,cam and LT headers ~$2-4k

My current idea for the Firebird is a well built 383 stroker, turbo 400 tranny and the rear end + gears to back it up. Any info would be appreciated as I'd like to use my money in the best way possible. College is expensive!
Since the Fireturd is worthless your best shot at getting what you want is to dump the money into it. You are looking at $10k minimum or so to do it in a C4 including buying the car if you get real lucky. You might be able to do that 383 for $5k if you,once again are lucky. HP cost $$$ and trying to do it cheap with no reserve for the unknown things is not wise. Stay in school and save your money to buy a 'Vette that is already they way you want it to be.
Old 07-16-2008, 04:00 AM
Weav's Vet
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Fireturd

Listen to this man.......he's blunt and to the point but he knows what he's talking about. His advice has helped me many times over.
Old 07-16-2008, 04:22 AM
slicked25
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Being that there's 10 million Mustangs on the road every 4 minutes selling the Pony is the only thing to do here. There's no way in the world that if you had a Vette that it wouldn't be your DD. That's like Vette people saying they want a pretty good Ferrari for their weekend use only. There's no way you could leave that bad boy sitting on the sidelines. Have you at least ever driven one? Just go get one and get back here to the addiction.
Old 07-16-2008, 04:30 AM
Dr. Evil
Le Mans Master

CI 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
CI-IV AutoX Champ
CI-IV Burnout Champ
St. Jude Donor '07-'10

I found two 93s with <125k miles for $6500 obo in the Orlando area in like 2 minutes. I'm sure there are more if you spent more time looking.
I went to autotrader and put in 500 miles search didtance for Orlando, 92-96 years, price $2500-$6500
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...00&cardist=516

and

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...00&cardist=386

If 12 s is all you want then an LT1 is easy to get there. Hotcam, headers, gears. Thats all I did and while I did everything myself and got my headers used from a forum member I have < $1600 in mods on my car and it goes low 12s at 115mph. I started with an LT4 though. An LT1 would be a hair slower with the same mods. A cam only LT1 with headers will go 12s.

I know this is in NJ but worth a look. http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...00&cardist=596

Last edited by Dr. Evil; 07-16-2008 at 04:38 AM.
Old 07-16-2008, 09:44 AM
birddog85
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You mentioned college..........I'd stick to one car and save all I could for school expenses. You may decide on graduate studies after you graduate, and you'd need even more money for that. So, I'm giving you reasoning to sell BOTH cars and buy a better C4 that cost a little more than your current expectations of about 5K. Get one in the 9K range, which will fetch you a fine car, and mod it gently over time. Then, when you graduate, find a good job, and have good income, buy an economobile for daily use and you'll have the Vette in the garage for weekends/dating, etc. School now = money for NEW vette in your future!

Get notified of new replies

To Possible C4 purchase for weekend use. Advice appreciated.

Quick Reply: Possible C4 purchase for weekend use. Advice appreciated.