C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Using Jack Stands

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 08:35 AM
papafrancisco
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Using Jack Stands

I need to remove the knock sensors to drain the coolant on my 96 LT1. The jack stands appear to be more affordable, easier to store and more versatile (like removing tires). My question is where do I place them on the car for raising the front and the back (different times of course).
Old 07-15-2008, 10:27 AM
Square
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There are several lift points on the C4. One of them is an area behind each front wheel and in front of each rear wheel on the sides of the car. If you look below the doors, you will see 2 small triangles spaced about 4 inches apart, behind/in front of each wheel. The jack/stand goes between the triangles. Be careful when placing a jack/stand there, as the fuel lines run just behind those points on the drivers side, and the brake lines run just behind the points on the passenger side.
Old 07-15-2008, 11:02 AM
pianoguy
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

http://tinyurl.com/5wuoqt
Old 07-15-2008, 11:28 AM
StealthLT4
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Here's the way I do it for the front; put the jack on the factory jack points, and jack it up. Then put the jack stand on the flat piece that sort of completes the triangle with the lower control arm. It's flat and very sturdy; been doing this for a while now with no problems. For the rear, jack up the jacking points and place the stands on the rails as they curve inward.

Also, if you have a low-profile jack, you can slip it under the front bumper and jack up the front support, under the radiator. Makes it a lot faster than jacking each side.
Old 07-15-2008, 11:32 AM
Andrew
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

I didn't type fast enough! Pianoguy beat me to it. That is a great write-up.

Last edited by Andrew; 07-15-2008 at 11:35 AM.
Old 07-15-2008, 02:42 PM
jrp
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by StealthLT4
Also, if you have a low-profile jack, you can slip it under the front bumper and jack up the front support, under the radiator. Makes it a lot faster than jacking each side.
I have a run-of-the-mill Craftsman jack, and I can do this simply by driving (or lifting) onto a 2x4 on one side.
Old 07-15-2008, 09:54 PM
XQIZT
Drifting

on my z51, i have no problem lifting an entire side at once. i place my jack just behind the edge of the side mirror. get it just high enough to get the stands into position in the front and back at the locations described in other posts. then move to the other side and repeat, but go as high as your stands will accommodate. then return to the first side and lift to the highest point so the car is now level. you'll have all 4 wheels off the ground and plenty of room underneath to work. just be careful and make sure the car is secure before going under it.
Old 07-16-2008, 03:47 AM
Weav's Vet
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Orlando85UCFvette
on my z51, i have no problem lifting an entire side at once. i place my jack just behind the edge of the side mirror. get it just high enough to get the stands into position in the front and back at the locations described in other posts. then move to the other side and repeat, but go as high as your stands will accommodate. then return to the first side and lift to the highest point so the car is now level. you'll have all 4 wheels off the ground and plenty of room underneath to work. just be careful and make sure the car is secure before going under it.

I do mine this exact same way. Except I start at the rear with the jack. Just slip the stands under there and that's it. You may not be able to tell exactlly where they are put but in the video in my signature there are a couple of shots at the end of my stands in place. May help you some.

Pianoguy's link is perfect though.
Old 07-16-2008, 06:34 AM
papafrancisco
Racer

I appreciate all the responses. I am apparently making this more difficult than it actually is. For examples where the triangles are located there is a veruical seam and it appears the body is slightly lower than the stell. Not only that the brake line is just on the other side. Do I put the lift jack on the seam and than put the jack stands on the seam behing the wheels(s)? At first I could not see how you can both lift at the triangles and putthe stands in the same position. I saw where response was to drive the front wheels on 2x10's to raise the car for a slightly higher jack (i.e non low profile) which makes good sense. If I try to rasie by the cross member, can I do so from the side? Can I use a standard height jack (5.5")? Hate to invest more when a standard jack will work with a bit of extra labor.
Old 07-16-2008, 06:38 AM
Weav's Vet
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by papafrancisco
I appreciate all the responses. I am apparently making this more difficult than it actually is. For examples where the triangles are located there is a veruical seam and it appears the body is slightly lower than the stell. Not only that the brake line is just on the other side. Do I put the lift jack on the seam and than put the jack stands on the seam behing the wheels(s)? At first I could not see how you can both lift at the triangles and putthe stands in the same position. I saw where response was to drive the front wheels on 2x10's to raise the car for a slightly higher jack (i.e non low profile) which makes good sense. If I try to rasie by the cross member, can I do so from the side? Can I use a standard height jack (5.5")? Hate to invest more when a standard jack will work with a bit of extra labor.
Yep, you may be....2X anythings will work for rasing the car high enough for the jack. Just jack it up and have a look see. you'll see where the supported areas are. Just be careful about the lines. If you use the jack points on the side you will be fine.
Old 07-16-2008, 08:40 AM
runner140*
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 282 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by pianoguy
Andy did a nice job on that.
Old 07-16-2008, 09:29 AM
XQIZT
Drifting

these photos may help with jack stand placement
front
rear

the red circles are where i place my stands

as far as your concern with the rocker panel lip...just make sure that you are also lifting in the actual frame member, not just the plastic rocker panel. as you lift the jack pad into place, use your hand to feel behind that lip and be sure you aren't crushing any fuel/brake lines.

Last edited by XQIZT; 07-16-2008 at 09:32 AM.
Old 07-16-2008, 10:32 AM
samh
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pianoguy
Perfect! Thanks for that link!
Old 07-16-2008, 10:33 AM
samh
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Orlando85UCFvette
these photos may help with jack stand placement
front
rear

the red circles are where i place my stands

as far as your concern with the rocker panel lip...just make sure that you are also lifting in the actual frame member, not just the plastic rocker panel. as you lift the jack pad into place, use your hand to feel behind that lip and be sure you aren't crushing any fuel/brake lines.
And thank you for this info as well. Pictures are worth a million words!
Old 07-16-2008, 11:39 AM
rickneworleansla
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Get notified of new replies

To Using Jack Stands

Quick Reply: Using Jack Stands