Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

92 A/C Compressor - $900+.....HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 01:20 PM
rangerphil
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default 92 A/C Compressor - $900+.....HELP!

I have a 92 with 14k original miles that is slinging A/C oil from the front compressor seal. Superior Chevrolet in KC is saying the only compressor they can get is from Carquest and it is $900+. Apparently, Chevy doesn't make the compressor any more and they are saying it is basically not rebuildable. I have asked them to do some calling and see if we can find a better option. Looks like about $1,375 out the door using R12 and the Carquest compressor. Does anyone have any ideas as to other options now that I have picked myself back up off the floor?? I was a mechanic for a couple of years in college, and in those days (70's), there were a number of shops that would rebuild the GM compressors. Surely there is still someone in the Kansas City area that might provide that service? In any case, $900+ is absolutely nuts for a compressor. OK, I'm done with my rant.........
Old 07-01-2008, 02:22 PM
jakers
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by rangerphil
I have a 92 with 14k original miles that is slinging A/C oil from the front compressor seal. Superior Chevrolet in KC is saying the only compressor they can get is from Carquest and it is $900+. Apparently, Chevy doesn't make the compressor any more and they are saying it is basically not rebuildable. I have asked them to do some calling and see if we can find a better option. Looks like about $1,375 out the door using R12 and the Carquest compressor. Does anyone have any ideas as to other options now that I have picked myself back up off the floor?? I was a mechanic for a couple of years in college, and in those days (70's), there were a number of shops that would rebuild the GM compressors. Surely there is still someone in the Kansas City area that might provide that service? In any case, $900+ is absolutely nuts for a compressor. OK, I'm done with my rant.........

Actually you can get a new Denso for around $500. My local shop quoted me about $750 to completely R&R my AC. Denso, aka Nippondenso, was the OE supplier on these Corvettes. Google Denso and look up the parts.
Old 07-01-2008, 02:30 PM
Randy93
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Here is the one I bought, it is from Autozone $380.
http://www.autozone.com/N,15200082//...eResultSet.htm
Old 07-01-2008, 03:51 PM
robertt43
Racer

Originally Posted by rangerphil
There are a few new ones on e-bay....Mine on my 84 just went,and I'm buying one of the pancake style...
Old 07-01-2008, 07:40 PM
SunCr
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

That sounds like Dealer list - It's a Nippondenso 10PA20C - www.acdelco.com still shows a part number. Used on the C4 from 88 - 96, prior to that, the Vette used a Harrison R4 (which was used on a ton of GM's so it's a hell of lot cheaper). In 92, the manifold is reversed and the lines come off over the face of the clutch. '88 to '92 have the lines exiting aft. The Last Detail is a few Bucks less - www.tld-corvette.com - remember new doesn't come with the clutch assembly so if you want everything to be new, you've got to buy the clutch assembly and a shim kit. I'd stay away from the Discounters. The last "new" compressor I bought from Autozone was DOA.
Old 07-01-2008, 07:58 PM
Redeasysport
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06

$495 W/clutch new
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/88-89...spagenameZWDVW
Old 07-01-2008, 08:42 PM
tlong
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Call Jason at Vette2Vette. He guarantees them. I replaced my LT-1 compressor and it works way better than the original for half the price of a new one.
Old 07-01-2008, 08:56 PM
c4sailor
Pro

My 87 ran about 8-900 installed with all parts and conversion to 134. Compressor, orifice, evaporator, - I think thats all the parts - and labor. Compressor is a "Remanufactured for GM".

I was told that typically when the compressor fails it craters the rest of the system because of the little pieces and parts it spews. So, better to do the whole thing than risk fouling the new compressor. And converted to 134 in the process. Sounded reasonable to me.
Old 07-02-2008, 01:01 AM
staugur
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Start calling around.Last year mine went out on my Rolls.yes that's the one with Royce after it.$13,500 on E-Bay.Anyway, fortunately in 1976 no one in the UK had a/c so they used an american unit.I think it's a delco.Local shop charged me $245 for a reman including fitting and flush and recharge.I think someone is pulling your chain.
Old 07-02-2008, 05:02 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,270 Likes on 2,031 Posts

The shaft seal and required gaskets to replace the shaft seal are $50 +/- and it's a fairly straight forward install and repair. If yours cooled well and no other problems it's the repair I would suggest. It's the fix I would do.

Secondly, for this repair you don't need the services of the dealer and there's surely few technicians familiar with the replacement of the shaft seal. I suggest check the Yellow Pages for an "established" Automotive A/C shop in your area and by asking few related questions you can asses the value of the services that they offer you. The "established" is the important part of the search! You don't need to mention what was passed on to you by the dealer related to cost and I'd suggest you don't.

The change to 134a might be wise but I might be tempted with miles etc to go with R12 if they can offer you the service. It's expensive. If you do the 134a change usually seals etc. are suggested at couplings and component connections. I might suggest avoiding the replacement of the seals. The aluminum to aluminum connections when subjected to the elements over the years likely or could have deteriorated and wrenching them could be trouble. Others might comment "differently"!

Last edited by WVZR-1; 07-02-2008 at 07:32 AM.
Old 07-02-2008, 09:29 AM
rangerphil
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I spent a day calling around and found a local A/C shop who quoted me $700 with a new Denso compressor and clutch. They recommended using R12 since the car is low miles and everything else is working okay. Sure beats $1,400. No one in the area rebuilds these units, at least that was the result of overr 20 phone calls. Thanks for the help guys.

Get notified of new replies

To 92 A/C Compressor - $900+.....HELP!

Quick Reply: 92 A/C Compressor - $900+.....HELP!