C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Best Low Mileage Ins.?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 10:33 AM
CAJUN C4
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Best Low Mileage Ins.?

What's the Best Insurance Company for Annual Low Mileage Driven cars.?

Say 2-3,000 Mi. per. Year?

Thanx
Old 06-17-2008, 12:42 PM
MY93TOY
Pro

Grundy
www.grundy.com
Old 06-18-2008, 02:47 AM
c4sailor
Pro

My State Farm guy just got my 87 classified as "antique/classic/whatever". Stated value of 15K with full coverage and limit of under 5K mi. per yr. Premium is going down from about 60/month when considered as a DD to about 250 per year! That's one new leather seat!!
Old 06-18-2008, 03:01 AM
Frizlefrak
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

I have Hagerty on my 84. $230 a year fully covered, agreed value, with roadside / towing coverage.

Stipulations; Car must be stored at night in a locked garage, cannot be left unattended except at club events, shows, etc. No mileage limitation. Owner must show evidence of owning a different car as a daily driver....ie insurance card, etc.

No complaints.
Old 06-18-2008, 07:56 AM
Muffin
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

American Collector or Sneed are two more.
Old 06-18-2008, 09:24 AM
Wayne88
Race Director

Received 654 Likes on 375 Posts

Originally Posted by Muffin
American Collector or Sneed are two more.
I have American Collector Ins. I pay $175 per year, agreed value $10K, for my '88.

I never filed a claim, so I don't know how they pay out on claims.
Old 06-18-2008, 09:26 AM
Bob88vette
Instructor

Originally Posted by c4sailor
My State Farm guy just got my 87 classified as "antique/classic/whatever". Stated value of 15K with full coverage and limit of under 5K mi. per yr. Premium is going down from about 60/month when considered as a DD to about 250 per year! That's one new leather seat!!
Thanks Sailor, I have SF too so I'm going to use your quote to see if my guy can do the same.
Old 06-18-2008, 10:01 AM
pmihaltian
Slingshot
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Frizlefrak
I have Hagerty on my 84. $230 a year fully covered, agreed value, with roadside / towing coverage.

Stipulations; Car must be stored at night in a locked garage, cannot be left unattended except at club events, shows, etc. No mileage limitation. Owner must show evidence of owning a different car as a daily driver....ie insurance card, etc.

No complaints.
I tried to get Hagerty Insurance a couple of years back for my Corvette and was not successful. I only put about 1000 miles a year on the car, it is garage kept and is not used for commuting or as a daily driver. They said that I had to have a seperate daily driver car for both me and my wife in addition to my Corvette. As I did not want to purchase a third just in case car, I had to forget about collector car insurance.

Has this collector car insurance requirement changed?
Old 06-18-2008, 12:44 PM
jakers
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Default Grundy here...

I just bought a policy through Grundy. It cost me $254 per year with a stated value of $16,000. I filled out the application and sent them 2 nice photos and certified that the car is stored in a garage. I do have a DD (02 Yukon) and so does the wife (08 Acura). I do in fact store the car in a locked garage. No tickets and 46 years old.

My State Farm policy was running me about $768.00 a year and I drive the car less than 2000 miles a year. The folks at Grundy are my heros right now. My car is a semi-restored 1994 coupe. When I called them I was certain they would turn me down or turn me away because my car is not really a classic yet, right? They took it! The insurance cards are in my car sitting in my garage.
Old 06-18-2008, 02:52 PM
floridamale
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Frizlefrak

No complaints.
Thanks for the tip on Hagerty I called them today $324.00a year stated value policy great deal. $0.00 no deducible no mileage restriction. Cant beat it with a stick
Old 06-18-2008, 04:15 PM
4theboy
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by floridamale
Thanks for the tip on Hagerty I called them today $324.00a year stated value policy great deal. $0.00 no deducible no mileage restriction. Cant beat it with a stick
I assume you are referring to an Agreed Value policy. There is a big difference in specialty car insurance between Stated Value and Agreed Value. Most folks use the terms interchangeably until they have a claim against their Stated Value policy, then they realize they are not the same. The reason I assume is because I thought Hagerty only dealt with Agreed Value policies but I would double check to be sure.
Old 06-18-2008, 04:21 PM
pmihaltian
Slingshot
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 4theboy
I assume you are referring to an Agreed Value policy. There is a big difference in specialty car insurance between Stated Value and Agreed Value. Most folks use the terms interchangeably until they have a claim against their Stated Value policy, then they realize they are not the same. The reason I assume is because I thought Hagerty only dealt with Agreed Value policies but I would double check to be sure.
So what is the difference between Stated Value and Agreed Value? How are they different when it comes to claims?
Old 06-18-2008, 04:50 PM
silverja
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts

Default May want to read this article about Corvette insurance

I wrote this article a few years ago concerning this issue:

http://corvettebuyers.com/insurance_alternative1.html

My choice has been American Collectors who raised the annual driving mileage to 5,000 at no additional costs.

Best of luck.
Old 06-18-2008, 04:59 PM
pmihaltian
Slingshot
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by silverja

My choice has been American Collectors who raised the annual driving mileage to 5,000 at no additional costs.

Best of luck.
That clears it up for me. Thank you.

Can you tell me if all Collector Car insurers require a seperate daily driver car for both me and my wife in addition to my Corvette? In other words, must I have three (3) cars to qualify?
Old 06-18-2008, 06:53 PM
floridamale
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 4theboy
That might be the case I'll check it out. Thanks
Old 06-18-2008, 10:52 PM
jakers
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by silverja

Best of luck.
Thanks! I have to call Grundy tomorrow and find out what the heck I have? Thanks for the info.
Old 06-19-2008, 12:49 AM
Frizlefrak
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by pmihaltian
I tried to get Hagerty Insurance a couple of years back for my Corvette and was not successful. I only put about 1000 miles a year on the car, it is garage kept and is not used for commuting or as a daily driver. They said that I had to have a seperate daily driver car for both me and my wife in addition to my Corvette. As I did not want to purchase a third just in case car, I had to forget about collector car insurance.

Has this collector car insurance requirement changed?
In my case, the wife has a daily driver and I have a company car that includes unlimited personal use as well. I sent them documentation to that effect. But even without the company ride, I've got so damn many cars on my State Farm policy it wouldn't have been an issue. In your case, buying and insuring another daily driver would more than negate any savings from using Hagerty for the Vette.

They want to ensure that you aren't insuring it as a classic and driving it daily....which of course would defeat the whole purpose of collector car insurance.

Get notified of new replies

To Best Low Mileage Ins.?

Old 06-19-2008, 10:37 AM
Mr. Dude
Instructor

I've got JC Taylor on mine. $260 a year with no deductable. Unlimited miles to car shows, cruises and related events.
Old 06-19-2008, 09:22 PM
SunCr
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Dude
I've got JC Taylor on mine. $260 a year with no deductable. Unlimited miles to car shows, cruises and related events.
That sounds like Liability only - you might want to check what you've bought, there may be no coverage for the car.
Old 06-20-2008, 05:45 AM
silverja
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts

Default Daily Driver Requirements

Originally Posted by pmihaltian
That clears it up for me. Thank you.

Can you tell me if all Collector Car insurers require a seperate daily driver car for both me and my wife in addition to my Corvette? In other words, must I have three (3) cars to qualify?
I am not certain on this, but believe they may require a seperate vehicle for each driver over a certain age (21). My advice is to contact each company and inquire. Some may allow just one addtional vehicle versus two. Your Corvettte cannot be used for work related activities. Many insurance companies are looking for new clients and may be flexible. One I know for sure that will not is Grundy.

Best of luck.

Quick Reply: Best Low Mileage Ins.?