C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Ques about fuel pressure regulator diaphragms

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2008, 10:00 AM
ejscarfo
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Ques about fuel pressure regulator diaphragms

Ok guys, here's one for the experts. I ordered my injectors the other day from Jon at FIC, whose a great guy with a wealth of knowledge by the way, so I trust what he has to say.

Anyway, he suggested that I rebuild the fuel pressure regulator on my 85 being the car has 149K original miles and the fuel system has never been overhauled. I went looking for a rebuilt kit and I only came across ones for the 86 and above. I tried Corvette Central and Ecklers and they're prices are almost double from what I can pay locally. Corvette Central has a listing the 85 only, but its been discontinued. They only list one for 85-91 now which is the same one I found locally. The supplier near me that sells them is telling me all the diaphragms are the same from 85 on up. In essense, a diaphragm for the 86 will work on an 85. However, application charts from parts manufacturers leave out the 85 L98 in their listings.

Jon told me that the fuel pressure rating is different for the 85's regulator, it is less than in 86, so I am confused. The quicker I get the correct regulator diaphragm, the quicker I can install my injectors. I don't want to install something that will be a headache so I come to you guys for insight.

Last edited by ejscarfo; 06-13-2008 at 10:05 AM.
Old 06-13-2008, 10:10 AM
FICINJECTORS
Supporting Vendor

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ejscarfo
Ok guys, here's one for the experts. I ordered my injectors the other day from Jon at FIC, whose a great guy with a wealth of knowledge by the way, so I trust what he has to say.

Anyway, he suggested that I rebuild the fuel pressure regulator on my 85 being the car has 149K original miles and the fuel system has never been overhauled. I went looking for a rebuilt kit and I only came across ones for the 86 and above. I tried Corvette Central and Ecklers and they're prices are almost double from what I can pay locally. Corvette Central has a listing the 85 only, but its been discontinued. They only list one for 85-91 now which is the same one I found locally. The supplier near me that sells them is telling me all the diaphragms are the same from 85 on up. In essense, a diaphragm for the 86 will work on an 85. However, application charts from parts manufacturers leave out the 85 L98 in their listings.

Jon told me that the fuel pressure rating is different for the 85's regulator, it is less than in 86, so I am confused. The quicker I get the correct regulator diaphragm, the quicker I can install my injectors. I don't want to install something that will be a headache so I come to you guys for insight.
it really doesn't make sence to not have and AFPR. check out this TPIS unit adjustable is a much better way to go try this link
http://www.tpis.com/index.php?module...uel+Components
Old 06-13-2008, 10:12 AM
shakedown067
Le Mans Master

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

why not just go with an adjustable fuel pressure regulator...

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
Old 06-13-2008, 10:39 AM
ejscarfo
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by FICINJECTORS
it really doesn't make sence to not have and AFPR. check out this TPIS unit adjustable is a much better way to go try this link
Thanks...it looks like what I am looking for!
Old 06-13-2008, 01:03 PM
jhammons01
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

All that is good advice...and for anyone else...don't mess around with the diaphragm....if is is old replace it.

Doesn't seem to be a big deal with Vettes, but other makes have had hell with these things...
first, getting old
second, breaking and leaking fuel on top of the intake mani
Third, you know what happens next

Old 06-13-2008, 01:13 PM
ejscarfo
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by jhammons01
All that is good advice...and for anyone else...don't mess around with the diaphragm....if is is old replace it.

Doesn't seem to be a big deal with Vettes, but other makes have had hell with these things...
first, getting old
second, breaking and leaking fuel on top of the intake mani
Third, you know what happens next

That's what I want to avoid.
Old 06-13-2008, 01:26 PM
jhammons01
Le Mans Master

^^ to be fair, that fire came from a rear wheel bearing being bad......so that is also an issue with our C4s....I just searched out a Vette fire and that is the pic I came up with...
Old 06-13-2008, 01:47 PM
Demonic85
Team Owner

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Seriously be careful when screwing around with these things. I've had to replace mine twice already. The reason the '85 is different is because it uses a 30# regulator and the later years use a 38# regulator. Yes the later one will fit but it will run pig rich. Might as well get a AFPR but AVOID Holley at all cost! Mine broke 2 weeks after I installed it spraying fuel all over my engine. They're known to break quite often.
Old 06-13-2008, 01:52 PM
ejscarfo
Melting Slicks

Thanks for the tip. I knew you guys wouldn't disappoint me.
Old 10-27-2008, 10:27 AM
AdoptAVette
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

question afpr kits only include the housing. Who makes a complete afpr including a new diaphram?
Old 10-27-2008, 10:30 AM
ejscarfo
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by AdoptAVette
question afpr kits only include the housing. Who makes a complete afpr including a new diaphram?
Good question. Anyone have any ideas?
Old 10-28-2008, 08:40 AM
dlb435
Racer

I just went through this with my 85. I replaced the original injectors with 22 pound after market injectors. They were $149.00 for a set of 8. The OEM injectors are 21 pound and cost $169.00 each rebuilt with core exchange. The OEM system was built to run at 32 psi at idle. The replacements needed about 42 PSI at idle. I rebuilt the pressure regulator with the adjustable reglator. I started at 38 PSI and adjusted it up until the engine ran well. This is about 42 PSI at idle. Fuel economy is good. Power is good. No check engine lights.
You have to pull the plenum to do this job so replace or check the EGR and the manifold temp sensor.
Old 10-28-2008, 09:47 AM
AGENT 86
Race Director

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by ejscarfo
Good question. Anyone have any ideas?
The Holley kit comes with a new diaphragm. Mine has been in for about 4 years, without a single issue.
Old 10-28-2008, 09:59 AM
Muffin
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by FICINJECTORS
My thoughts exactly. I'll rebuild an engine in a heartbeat but will not touch an active fuel component or a master cylinder. Leave those to someone with better tools than I.
Old 10-28-2008, 10:39 AM
dlb435
Racer

The pressure regulator rebuild is very easy. Remove the screws, take out the old diaphram, install the new one, put the screws back in. It's the plenum that takes the time. If the seat is pitted you will need a new fuel rail assembly. After its in, there is a fitting to check the pressure.

Get notified of new replies

To Ques about fuel pressure regulator diaphragms

Quick Reply: Ques about fuel pressure regulator diaphragms