C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Vacuum Hose Problems?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 02:02 PM
Tretch
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vacuum Hose Problems?

I have a 94 vette that I have owned for five years. It has close to 100,000 miles but is a great car. A couple of weeks ago, I was driving along on the highway an tried to set my cruise control and nothing happened. It had been working fine before then.

I told some of the members in my club about my cruise control problem and was told to check my vacuum hoses as they may have cracks in them or may have come loose somewhere. In the meantime, I turned my air conditioner on this weekend and the cold air only blows through the bottom vent and not the top.

Is this a typical sign of bad vacuum hoses and they need to be replaced?

Thanks for your help.
Old 06-09-2008, 02:15 PM
Red Dwarf
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Check under the pass/side fuel rail cover. There are vacumn lines & a valve that may be busted. Here's a picture of the items.
Old 06-09-2008, 04:07 PM
Redeasysport
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06

The other main issue with the cruise has to do with the switch just above the brake pedal. It is a vacuum release and if it slides too far back it does not re engage. The solution is to pull the hush panel ,push the pedal down grab the switch and pull it towards the firewall.You will hear some clicking as you do this. Release the pedal and slightly pull it back to the normal position to set the switch. Don't pull to hard on the pedal as there may be some play in it you are only trying to get it back to the spot it will sit at when you take your foot off.
Old 06-09-2008, 05:43 PM
LT1 Spirit
Instructor

Originally Posted by Red Dwarf
Check under the pass/side fuel rail cover. There are vacumn lines & a valve that may be busted. Here's a picture of the items.

I had the same two problems. I fixed those lines and a small hose on the other side and now I have cruise and air from floor ,vents, and the dash
Old 06-10-2008, 10:23 AM
Tretch
Heel & Toe

Thanks guys. I have done what you suggested and it solved my problem. You guys are the greatest. I really do appreciate your help.
Old 06-10-2008, 11:36 AM
Redeasysport
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06

And what did you do one or both?
Old 06-10-2008, 12:27 PM
Tretch
Heel & Toe

I only had to replace the cruise control check valve under the fuel rail on the passenger side. I got the part from the local Chevrolet dealership parts department. It cost me every bit of $1.60 plus tax. I am going to buy several.
Old 06-10-2008, 02:32 PM
wascan
3rd Gear

Default Vacuum Hose Problems?

I also have similar problem with cruise control and intermittent air conditioning settings. Sometimes the air controls work properly and sometimes not. I replaced the vacuum check valve, but this did not fix problem. Where would the next place to look be? If both systems are affected does this suggest looking at the vacuum lines at a particular location. Thanks.
Old 06-10-2008, 06:36 PM
LT1 Spirit
Instructor

Originally Posted by wascan
I also have similar problem with cruise control and intermittent air conditioning settings. Sometimes the air controls work properly and sometimes not. I replaced the vacuum check valve, but this did not fix problem. Where would the next place to look be? If both systems are affected does this suggest looking at the vacuum lines at a particular location. Thanks.
I dont have pics but on the other side under the fuel rail cover closer to the front there is a small 3/8 hose with a bend in it that goes from the intake to a small block with wires coming out of it. That is what my problem was. good luck

Get notified of new replies

To Vacuum Hose Problems?

Quick Reply: Vacuum Hose Problems?