Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

'96 Full Stereo Re-do, Part I (no 56k)

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2008, 01:13 AM
StealthLT4
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default '96 Full Stereo Re-do, Part I (no 56k)

Link to Part II: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=2058190

Well I'm ripping out the entire Bose system in my '96 and installing a new one. I decided that, especially with lack of documentation and answers regarding some areas of the install, I would do a full write-up with lots and lots of pictures. Yay!

I haven't even gotten all the pieces of my system yet, but I figured I could go ahead and fabricate the front speaker enclosures, which I'll need since I'm using 6.5" components. Here is my eventual full setup:

HU: Pioneer AVIC-Z3 (actually a Z1 with a 60gb Z3-loaded HDD)
Front Speakers: Boston Acoustics Pro60
Rear Speakers: Boston Acoustics SL65
Amp: Alpine PDX-4.100 driving all speakers
Replacing all wiring

And without further adieu, to the pictures!

The driver's enclosure, just pulled from the car:

A side view of the enclosure; that thing's crazy thin!

After making some measurements and searching the forum, here is my design for the boxes. Box is kind of misleading since it's open, but you'll see what I mean. Anyway, these are the dimensions in cm:

$3.99 at Home Depot got me this mini-sheet of 1/4" MDF. Perfect! Here I have all the pieces drawn out, ready to cut. Note that the pieces that say 17x24 should be 18x24. I actually cut them at 17, and had to redo them. I'm dumb.

Here I have all the pieces cut out: (note the 18x24 )

Speaker holes drawn out, entry holes cut, ready to cut the holes!

My buddy cutting the holes while I document

Holes are cut! The dimensions came right out of the owner's manual that came with the speakers.

Starting to assemble it all. Just using wood glue to hold everything in place until I get the brackets on:

The brackets! Something like $2.50 a pack. 4 per pack. I got 5 packs. I needed half that much...oh well:

Bracket out of the packing:

I had to cut holes in the back of the box because the speakers were so deep. There is a depression behind where this box mounts, so there's room for it on the car:

I'm dumb and cut the hole on the wrong side.....so I have a big blob hole, oh well:

Whole thing assembled, just curing:

Test fit time! Fits like a glove! Note: the tweeter will not be mounted axially, but that's the safest place for it right now. It will go in the flush-mount that's sitting in the tweeter mounting spot.

Pilot holes for the bracket screws drilled:

Last edited by StealthLT4; 08-16-2009 at 04:23 PM.
Old 06-08-2008, 01:13 AM
StealthLT4
Safety Car

Brackets! Normally when I build an MDF box I just screw into the face of each side, but using 1/4", I felt that it was too narrow to screw into the end. So I used brackets. Ugly I know, but it's gonna be behind carpeting anyways, and is much more sturdy than glue alone.

Test fit with the brackets:

And a couple more shots. Why not:

I didn't take pictures of it, but I slipped this in the car, with speaker in it, and it fit just fine. The cover even fit over it perfectly! I measured the mounting holes wrong so I have to redo one of those, but everything looks like it will go in smoothly right now. I spray painted them black just in case they are slightly visible through the screen; they're drying right now.

Once I get my rear speakers and the hard-drive for my Z1-Z3 conversion, I'll start ripping out the entire old system and in with the new! Hope you enjoy!

Last edited by StealthLT4; 08-16-2009 at 04:24 PM.
Old 06-08-2008, 01:21 AM
Jonnymac
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Nice work. I'm thinking about redoing mine this winter.
Old 06-08-2008, 02:17 AM
Ryan59
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is great!!! Thank you for going through all the trouble of posting pictures. Hope you don't mind me snagging them. I like pictures

I have a few questions though. The Bose Gold system seemed to have too much bass. I'm not a fan of thumping noise, I get my fill of it from certain vehicles driving by my house..... However, in my '06 Nissan Sentra, it uses a separate bass speaker in the trunk. It's a Rockford Fosgate system, factory installed. The bass volume is adjustable and I have it set comfortably. Experts say "never" run bass through your mid-range speakers. This appears to be what you are doing here. Do you feel this will have an effect on sound quality?

Another question is the power antenna. Are you going to include a switch in order to lower the antenna while listening to MP3's or CD's etc. I would like to know how that is done.
Old 06-08-2008, 03:32 AM
Eakster
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dude, well done and thank you! Pics are great, mistakes an all

I wasn't sure about the brackets at first, but once that mid was in, it totally goes with it! I might try small tacks
Old 06-08-2008, 04:17 AM
vinnies87
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07

Nicely done, and would be a good addition in the C4 Audio Section, where members would look for sterio stuff...
Old 06-08-2008, 09:04 AM
StealthLT4
Safety Car

Ryan59: Thanks. I posted the pictures so that you could snag them; that's the point! As for the bass, I thought about putting 8" subwoofers in place of rear speakers, and not having rear fill. Several people do this, and don't even notice the lack of rear speakers. However, I don't listed to rap, and I think that good quality speakers will give me all the bass I need. As for the antenna, I will be putting in a switch. All I listen to is my iPod right now, and in the new system it will be iPod until I get all my music loaded onto the HDD, then that! I'll be sure to take pics of that part of the install as well.

Eakster: I really don't like the look of the brackets, but it will be behind carpeting, so whatever is most rigid, that's what I like.

Vinnies87: I posted a thread in Audio/Electronics with a link to this thread, so it's both places at once!
Old 06-08-2008, 11:17 AM
1bdvet
Team Owner

Received 4,499 Likes on 3,586 Posts
U.S. Air Force
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor

When you are done, you can start on mine! Looks good
Old 06-08-2008, 11:41 AM
pianoguy
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 1bdvet
When you are done, you can start on mine! Looks good
+1

I have the same project ahead - thanks much for taking the time to post your progress!

I see you bought the same amp I did - where are you going to mount it? I want it hidden, and am thinking about putting it where the jack is in the storage compartment.
Old 06-08-2008, 01:44 PM
StealthLT4
Safety Car

Originally Posted by pianoguy
I see you bought the same amp I did - where are you going to mount it? I want it hidden, and am thinking about putting it where the jack is in the storage compartment.
That's exactly where I'm putting it. I removed my spare tire, carrier and jack a while ago, so when I remove the radio receiver, I can just take that whole foam piece out. There's more than enough room for the PDX in there.
Old 06-08-2008, 03:37 PM
RandyJ75
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07

Originally Posted by jwalker87
That's exactly where I'm putting it. I removed my spare tire, carrier and jack a while ago, so when I remove the radio receiver, I can just take that whole foam piece out. There's more than enough room for the PDX in there.
Be careful of heat build up. Amps need ventilation.

Other then that, nice write up. This should be made part of the audio FAQ sticky.

Keep the pictures coming, looks great so far.

Randy
Old 06-08-2008, 06:08 PM
Ryan59
Drifting

jwalker87 I haven't played with car stereo equipment since the mid-to-late eighties. Had a Yamaha head, ADS amps, probably Yamaha speakers. It's been a while but I think I had Infinity speakers in the BMW, which is another car you must run speaker wires because the stock system uses body grounds. If you make a sticky, I hope these comments can be removed so it reads straight threw...at least my comments anyway...

I like a clean bass, and clean sound. Nothing I listen too has synthetic bass like rap does. I imagine it's just some button they press over & over. Probably have to replace that button often from wear.
Old 06-08-2008, 08:54 PM
5POINT7
Melting Slicks

awesome stuff. cant wait to see more pics of the finished product! keep em comin! good job!
Old 06-08-2008, 10:09 PM
myc4vette
Instructor

jwalker Outstading post!! This is one of my next projects, My 92 had an aftermarket already installed when I bought it, so I.'m ready to upgrade ,speakers and all. So keep the Pics coming. GREAT IDEAS
Randy
Old 06-09-2008, 08:36 AM
joecaver
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '08-'10

I like the direction that you're headed and so far it looks like a good job. I can't wait to see the finished installation.
Old 06-09-2008, 05:40 PM
Eakster
Safety Car

This is the most comprehensive C4 install thread I've found so far. Should be useful to you guys also doing an install (it's closed so I couldn't resurrect it)
cheers

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...ghlight=tunnel
Old 06-09-2008, 05:44 PM
JimiHendrix
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

You wont need any metal corner braces if you used gorilla glue. That stuff is amazing!!!

Brackets! Normally when I build an MDF box I just screw into the face of each side, but using 1/4", I felt that it was too narrow to screw into the end. So I used brackets. Ugly I know, but it's gonna be behind carpeting anyways, and is much more sturdy than glue alone.

Test fit with the brackets:

And a couple more shots. Why not:

I didn't take pictures of it, but I slipped this in the car, with speaker in it, and it fit just fine. The cover even fit over it perfectly! I measured the mounting holes wrong so I have to redo one of those, but everything looks like it will go in smoothly right now. I spray painted them black just in case they are slightly visible through the screen; they're drying right now.

Once I get my rear speakers and the hard-drive for my Z1-Z3 conversion, I'll start ripping out the entire old system and in with the new! Hope you enjoy!

Get notified of new replies

To '96 Full Stereo Re-do, Part I (no 56k)

Old 06-09-2008, 06:42 PM
StealthLT4
Safety Car

Originally Posted by JimiHendrix
You wont need any metal corner braces if you used gorilla glue. That stuff is amazing!!!
Probably true, but better safe than sorry.

I just got all the wiring today in the mail, so as soon as I get the Z1-Z3 hard-drive, I can start installing this thing!
Old 06-09-2008, 06:43 PM
StealthLT4
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Eakster
This is the most comprehensive C4 install thread I've found so far. Should be useful to you guys also doing an install (it's closed so I couldn't resurrect it)
cheers

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...ghlight=tunnel
Thanks! That thread looks great; good to see how other people do it.
Old 06-09-2008, 08:02 PM
Randy93
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '06

Probably true, but better safe than sorry.

I just got all the wiring today in the mail, so as soon as I get the Z1-Z3 hard-drive, I can start installing this thing!
Why didnt you put brackets on the inside of your cover?

Where did you get the 60gb HDD, heck where did you get the HU?

I am planning on putting in a Z3, but I like your idea better.

Quick Reply: '96 Full Stereo Re-do, Part I (no 56k)