C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

'96 Full Stereo Re-do, Part I (no 56k)

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 08:08 PM
StealthLT4
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy93
Why didnt you put brackets on the inside of your cover?
It's just too darn small! I couldn't even fit as many brackets as I wanted to externally, due to the dimensions. These are also the smallest brackets I could find. But it should hold fine. Also, why bother putting them on the inside? No one can see them anyway...

Where did you get the 60gb HDD, heck where did you get the HU?

I am planning on putting in a Z3, but I like your idea better.
1 word: eBay. I'll PM you some links to current auctions if I can find them.
Old 06-09-2008, 08:24 PM
Randy93
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Thanks for the link, 1 last question. Where are you mounting the GPS antenna?
I was thinking about running mine up the A piller and on the rearview mirror bracket.
Old 06-09-2008, 08:36 PM
StealthLT4
Safety Car

Thanks for the link, 1 last question. Where are you mounting the GPS antenna?
I was thinking about running mine up the A piller and on the rearview mirror bracket.
I've heard that reception is unaffected with the antenna mounted UNDER the small plastic piece on the center of the dash, up against the windshield. I'm putting my money on that spot, but if it doesn't work, then it will probably just go right next to the windshield on one corner of the dash.
Old 06-09-2008, 09:48 PM
rickneworleansla
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by vinnies87
Nicely done, and would be a good addition in the C4 Audio Section, where members would look for sterio stuff...

Don't you mean the C5-C6 audio section. C4 audio posts get much more traffic and are more usefull here. IMO

I've always used wood glue and screws on my boxes. I think I would have left the brackets off and used a nail gun with the smaller nails. Good post. This will help a lot of people.

Last edited by rickneworleansla; 06-09-2008 at 10:35 PM.
Old 06-09-2008, 10:20 PM
C4DC
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Nice! If the bass isn't enough or to your liking quality wise then:

I turn the bass on the Blose all the way down and have a seperate volume **** for the sub amp which is run through a PAC convertor. It isn't good for the rap/techno, but great for rock/music. When the rest of the system dies, I want to do something like you are doing.
Old 06-09-2008, 10:22 PM
StealthLT4
Safety Car

Originally Posted by C4DC
Nice! If the bass isn't enough or to your liking quality wise then:

I turn the bass on the Blose all the way down and have a seperate volume **** for the sub amp which is run through a PAC convertor. It isn't good for the rap/techno, but great for rock/music. When the rest of the system dies, I want to do something like you are doing.
That looks pretty nice. I hope you have a grille for it though ; it wouldn't last long in my car otherwise!

I'm kind of conflicted whether to add a sub or not. Hopefully I'll be satisfied with the bass from 4 good quality 6.5" woofers, but we'll see. With the amp under the rear storage bin, I don't even know where I'll put a sub if I decide to.
Old 06-10-2008, 12:26 AM
C4DC
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '06

No need for a grill with this one. When they came out there was a pic of a guy standing on the dust caps. In the store I worked at some of the guys would punch the center and they just hurt their hands.(an off center punch did break one though) I would definately put a grill on another sub if this one ever dies.
Old 06-10-2008, 08:14 AM
AGENT 86
Race Director

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by jwalker87
I've heard that reception is unaffected with the antenna mounted UNDER the small plastic piece on the center of the dash, up against the windshield. I'm putting my money on that spot, but if it doesn't work, then it will probably just go right next to the windshield on one corner of the dash.
Don't know where your putting the brain, but I have mine in the driverside rear compartment and ran the antenna to a bracket I mounted to the hatch latch frame. From there it has a straight shot through the plastic and glass into space. Just another idea

Keep up the good work
Old 06-10-2008, 11:09 AM
nogoodsam
Racer

Default Awesome...

Nice work!!
Thanks for sharing the dimensions!
Keep us updated to the sound quality!

Last edited by nogoodsam; 06-10-2008 at 11:32 AM. Reason: (spelling)
Old 06-20-2008, 09:27 PM
StealthLT4
Safety Car

The link to part II! I also put it in the original post.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=2058190
Old 08-25-2010, 07:19 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

This is a fantastic write up. I thought I'd contribute another way to accomplish the same thing; front speaker enclosures...

The "front half" of this write up is designed around the "late" C4. The rear applies to any C4.

When I got my first C4; my '92, the stereo sounded horrid. You couldn't hear the front speakers at all unless you faded it all the way forward, and then, turned up loud enough to actually hear, they were over whelmed. Not to mention zero stereo imaging. The problem is two fold;
1. The front speakers aim directly into the side of your calf. Your pants cover/absorb much of the sound!

2. This is the same in the rear too; the speaker grill uses a covering that is basically, full-on CARPET. It completely drowns out any upper mids and highs. Over all a terrible design.

First, I knew that the speaker covering had to go. I removed the front and rear grilles and tore/cut off all the carpet. On the rear, I also cut out all the 'holed' plastic that was backing up the carpet on the rear grilles. I recovered the rear speakers with black fabric that is shear; you can see through it when it's back lit, but not when it's dark. See pics below...

For the front, I decided something entirey new was needed. The speakers are in a "hole" down by your feet. To get ANY kind of sound out of there, they needed to be aimed at the passengers -at least somewhat. I wanted some C4 Corvette "Q-Forms", but none exists. So I made some.

I start by buying cans of expanding foam insulation.

I sprayed out the foam onto sheets of wax paper, in a pattern about 12" long, and 8" wide, building it up taller and taller, until it was about 6" tall....then I let it dry for a day. When dried, I had a "loaf" that was about 15" long, 12" wide, and 10" tall. WAY larger than I needed, but that is O.K.

Once cured, I took a bread knife and started carving out the rough shape that I was looking for, for MY "QForm". In MY case, I was going to use 4 front speakers; two 4x6's and two 5-1/4's...because I had them. I roughed out the shape w/the bread knife, and then finished it with smaller knives and a wire brush. In a few places, the foam had BIG air pockets. I filled them w/more foam and let it cure.

Once the shape and size was finalized, I used the foam as a buck to lay fiberglass on. I pre-cut most of the 'glass pieces, then slathered the foam w/resin, and laid the glass on...then painted on more resin. Repeat until fully covered and thick enough to be rigid.

Once the resin cured, I sanded the rough spots w/my DA (could hand sand of course), and used a dremel to cut out the speaker opening; one 4x6 and one 5-1/4 on each "Qform". I "peeled" the circle/oval off the foam core, and I hand "dug" the foam out using a spoon. I could have used acid to eat the foam out, but I personally wanted to leave some foam on the inside walls of the boxes for stiffness.

Once the holes were cut, I painted the Qforms flat black, installed the speakers w/wiring, and screwed them in. The Q forms go in the stock speaker location, and only protrude about 1" further than the original grille did. I haven't finished the grille yet, but my plan is to heat it w/a heat gun, push it out a bit, and let it cool...then cover w/the same cloth as the rear. Pics coming as I wrap that up

The difference was astounding. There was actually a STEREO in that car!!! You just couldn't tell as it was buried under crap. Now it sounds as good as any stock stereo from the '90's and better than most. There is a front sound stage, there is imaging, mids, highs...all the stuff that didn't exist before is there now. It's not aftermarket system...but at least you can hear the speakers now...and they're pointed toward the listener.

We can't buy Qforms for the C4...but you can make some nice ones! Hope this is of interest!
Old 08-26-2010, 12:17 AM
Nick DL
Drifting

Tom, would love to see the finished product. That is really ingenious to use that stuff.
Old 08-27-2010, 11:31 AM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Thank you. I'll try to get some more/updated pics this weekend...
Old 08-27-2010, 02:07 PM
lushdrunk
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks great. If for some reason the glue don't hold up, you could always wrap them in fiberglass.
Old 08-30-2010, 06:03 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

I took a few more pics this weekend...

Still have to heat/shape the factory grilles to cover my new boxes, because of the design and speakers that I chose, then cover w/the same cloth used on the rear speaker grilles. Then...it's done! Hope this helps.

Last edited by Tom400CFI; 08-31-2010 at 11:17 AM.
Old 09-10-2010, 01:51 AM
colled96
Intermediate

It was good to see an aftermarket stereo in a C4. I've been searching the web for awhile looking for ideas. Your install is what I have in mine for my stereo upgrade. I like my Bose system, but I got spoiled with my wife's Navigation, HDD, SAT Radio and Bluetooth in her Grand Cherokee. I had to promise my wife not to hack the C4 LT4 Collector Edition up and there is no option to lose the trunk space.

My updrade is a little bit more involved than yours:
Kenwood DNX 7160 (Maybe)
Hybrid Audio Legatia L631-3V2 3-way for front staging
Focal 100CVX for real fill
Infinity REF860W (2) 8" subwoofers

Memphis Audio 16-MC5.700 5 channel
Memphis Audio 16-MC4.75 4 channel

Audio Control DQXS
Audio Control 2XS
Audio Control Matrix

of course a false floor is going to be built to house the amps and the processors. Like I said the car has to still look and function stock

I'm glad to see you take the plung in upgrading. Now I feel positive in going all out myself.
Old 09-10-2010, 02:47 AM
Jay Axson
Melting Slicks

Lokks like you are doing a great job. I did almost the same thing 8 years ago. I even have the same brands, Boston Accustic speakers and Alpine head end. The one mistake I made was putting the amp behind the driver's seat. If you are running a real amp rather than dempending on the head unit's amplification, find a place it can breath. There is like 5% of the summer my amp shuts down due to heat overload. Very annoying.

Get notified of new replies

To '96 Full Stereo Re-do, Part I (no 56k)

Old 09-10-2010, 12:56 PM
mfi
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

My 92vert was an interesting project. it had a decent aftermarket setup already but needed improvement. I recovered the front grills and reconfigured them for 6 inch speakers, used fiberglass to redo the pods a 6 cd changer, 500 watt amp and 2 6 inch bass tubes mounted to fire at the back of the seats...and it all fit so you can drop the top. I got rid of the rear speakers, can,t here them with the top down anyway. I,m going to take pics of all this as I don,t see much about this on the web, never seen my bass tubes before and I think it's a great idea for verist. Your on a good track and will be amazed at how much better it sounds, just getting rid of the carpeting covering the speakers is a huge improvement over any stereo...what was Bose thinking?
Typing on an iPad on the beach is tough!!!!!
Old 09-11-2010, 03:29 PM
mfi
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Would this be the same as a convertible?? It looks the same and would be a step up from what I built.
Old 02-24-2011, 01:58 PM
BlackHarleyMan
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good thread, and we really need more C4 stereo install threads around here.

Noland

Quick Reply: '96 Full Stereo Re-do, Part I (no 56k)