Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

How many have driven their Vette in the snow or rain?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2001, 02:45 PM
Cobra Jet
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How many have driven their Vette in the snow or rain?

I'm just wondering how the Vette handles in the rain or snow compared to a Mustang, or other sports cars.

Reason I am asking is, if I find the right Vette for me, it will replce my 96 Cobra and become my daily driver...

So, I'm well aware of the precautions while driving in the snow or rain with my Cobra - how does a Vette fair?

Are there any tips or tricks to driving in bad weather with a Vette? For instance, in the winter time, I drive with a full tank of gas and also with 75-100 lbs of kitty litter or rock salt in the trunk. The kitty litter or rock salt I purchase from the store and just put it in the trunk for extra weight over the rear wheels.

I'm a responsible driver so I know my limits in bad weather and do not "push" the car beyond those limits at that time.

Hopefully not too many of you will shudder at the thought of driving it all year round in those types of weather conditions, but hey, someone has to do it! LOL! :D
Old 12-20-2001, 02:54 PM
JoeVette88
Instructor

Default Re: How many have driven their Vette in the snow or rain? (Cobra Jet)

No shudder here!

I drove mine all last winter with no problems. Except when the snow was really deep and I started going sideways, I thought it was all over! I'm more worried about all those soccer moms in SUV's going full speed with snow on the roads.

How much does the kitty litter help in the back. It helps my buddies pick-up, does it help much in a vette?
Old 12-20-2001, 03:02 PM
Cobra Jet
Heel & Toe

Well, I don't know how it will help in a Vette - probably the same as in a Mustang though.

It's cheap from the Super Market (Shop Rite), only about $2.99-$3.99 for a 50lb bag. Just throw it in a plastic trash bag so if the paper bag gets damaged, you won't have 50lbs of litter all over the place! :) You can also buy 25 lb bags... just buy the real CHEAP stuff. I usually donate the bags to the local animal shelter in the spring when I don't need them anymore.

Honestly though, it helps out ALOT. With a full 15 gallon tank of gas and 75-100 lbs of either rock salt or kitty litter, it definitely puts weight over the rear wheels and helps out with traction issues.

Of course, any car on ICE sux - but in snow, it does help me out ALOT.

If any of you Vette guys/gals drive in the winter, I'd recommend trying it out.

Old 12-20-2001, 03:20 PM
Cruzin I-5
Instructor

I drive my all year long, I live in seattle where we all just love the liquid sunshine. I had to make a trip to Bend, ore. a cupple of weeks ago, and didn't have any problems,:yesnod: untill the snow got about a cupple of feet deep, then I was just using it as a snow plow :eek: Just keep your head about things and you'll be allrigt :cheers:
Old 12-20-2001, 04:08 PM
bogus
Team Owner

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Default Re: How many have driven their Vette in the snow or rain? (Cruzin I-5)

corvette + summer tires + snow = more excitment than my heart can handle...

It is doable... but get all season or good snow tires!!!!

Old 12-20-2001, 04:20 PM
CowboyNVette
Le Mans Master

Default Re: How many have driven their Vette in the snow or rain? (bogus)

With the ASR the Vette is really easy to drive in the rain. :cheers: Now if you turn it off, you will fishtail everytime you take off or try to turn.
Old 12-20-2001, 04:33 PM
scorp508
Team Owner

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

I drive all year round, and it's ok. I did almost wreck this past tuesday in a hail storm when I spun out after hitting an expansion joint, but that was accumulated ice, not snow. :)

Last year was fine, even without adding weight to the back. We've got 20 gallon tanks, so that is a good 132 pounds over the rear when full. I have 255/50/16 tires on 9.5x16 rims at all four corners.

Just drive it like you would a truck in the snow, and you're good to go.
Old 12-20-2001, 04:39 PM
91Vette
Le Mans Master

Received 73 Likes on 56 Posts

I've driven my 91 in the rain many times. No problems at all. Snow is another story. When it snows, I drive my other car.
Old 12-20-2001, 05:25 PM
BaseballDude
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Re: How many have driven their Vette in the snow or rain? (91Vette)

I drive year-round, so I get rain occasionally (like today! :mad ). You just have to drive it like any other car in the rain....a little more carefully. That's all. :)
Old 12-20-2001, 06:06 PM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,401 Likes on 1,017 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Default Re: How many have driven their Vette in the snow or rain? (CaliforniaLT-1)

id recommend against driving in the rain without good rain tires (Firestone Sz50's). I actually hydroplaned and wrecked my vette this past october with the roads just being slick, some water was running down a hill and i was goin up the hill, and the wheel came right out of my hand, it doesnt pay to have the torque monster at times like that. Wide tires=bad in rain. But if i have to drive it now in the rain, i drive REEEEAAALLLY SLOW.
Old 12-20-2001, 06:12 PM
Springer's LT4
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In III Veteran
Default Re: How many have driven their Vette in the snow or rain? (vader86)

Won't see snow here! but if I was in a place where it snowed... I wouldn't be caught dead in it. (Use to live in upstate NY, so I know snow well) To many idiots that forget how to drive when the snow comes down.

I'll drive the car in the rain and I do turn the ASR on in those conditions. I agree with runing good tires... the Firestones are great in it as are the BFG KD g-force
Old 12-20-2001, 08:04 PM
dmalhi1
Melting Slicks

like most people will say try not to drive the car too much in the snow mainly cuz of salt on the roads and well that harms the cars underbody and those nice chrome or polished rims. but trust me i live in vancouver and you can drive a corvette in the rain or snow aslong as its not too high and if you do it real carefully and take your time doing it. also make sure you got some nice winter tires such as blizzacks or something. the main reason these cars don't like snow is usually due to the width of the tires.... they are 9.5" in most cases... so what happens is that more snow gets compacted under and around the tire making a very slick surface that has almost no friction. i've heard some people even go to the length of having different width tires on their vettes for the summer to prevent the compacting effect. but seriously now if the roads out there are sweeped up of any snow you will have an alright time driving a vette on the roads...... just stay away from ice.

Old 12-20-2001, 08:11 PM
plastic thunder
Safety Car

Not much chance of snow here. We do get ice on occasion.If i have to go then I drive my 4 wheel drive jeep.I do get caught in rain, no problem with traction control on :nonod:
Old 12-20-2001, 08:20 PM
jay17
Burning Brakes

Rain is no problem. I haven't had it in any snow yet. Last winter I did see two vettes driving around in the snow at school.
Old 12-20-2001, 08:36 PM
Justin1984
Drifting

Default Re: How many have driven their Vette in the snow or rain? (jay17)

you guys are :crazy: :D
Do they even make snow tires in Vette sizes? I don't think they do which leads me to believe they shouldn't be driven in snow. I wish I didn't have to drive anything in the snow, in fact. Last week we got a little snow for the first time this year, and I'm driving downb the highway (not in the Vette), and this guy cuts in front of me from the driving lane and slams on his brakes b/c of a "fender-berg" of snow. I was like "thanx dude you just gave me a friggin heart attack..just coast thru it ya stupid dummy!!" :D
Old 12-20-2001, 10:35 PM
black86targa
Instructor

add the torque to the weight and add those wide tires and Im pretty sure vettes are a handfull on snow or ice. I know Firebirds and Camaros are terrible. All 3 of my vehicles are 'plastic' so the advantage is no body rust ever. Has yet to snow here for a practical test, but Im waiting.
Old 12-20-2001, 11:34 PM
The Example
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Default Re: How many have driven their Vette in the snow or rain? (black86targa)

I haven't had to deal with snow yet, but I have driven in the rain in my 1991 and the 1987 a few times. I definitely had traction issues, but only while it was raining. In the 1991 I was making a leisurely rght turn from a stop on bald GS-Cs and I spun a 180. In the 1987 I was going straight at 35mph with new Comp T/As and any increase in throttle would cause wheelspin. It got a little hairy for a bit. :eek:

I do intend on driving my new car year-round!

Get notified of new replies

To How many have driven their Vette in the snow or rain?

Old 12-21-2001, 12:55 AM
CowboyNVette
Le Mans Master

Default Re: How many have driven their Vette in the snow or rain? (Justin1984)

you guys are :crazy: :D
Do they even make snow tires in Vette sizes? I don't think they do which leads me to believe they shouldn't be driven in snow. I wish I didn't have to drive anything in the snow, in fact. Last week we got a little snow for the first time this year, and I'm driving downb the highway (not in the Vette), and this guy cuts in front of me from the driving lane and slams on his brakes b/c of a "fender-berg" of snow. I was like "thanx dude you just gave me a friggin heart attack..just coast thru it ya stupid dummy!!" :D

Yep they do. BF Goodrich makes them I can't remember the full name of the tires but they end in KDWS...the 's' stands for snow. I ran them on the rear of my vette P285/40/17 s
Old 12-21-2001, 01:00 AM
Cigarman
Instructor

Mine has 34K and NEVER in the rain...
Old 12-21-2001, 01:29 AM
Admiral blue x 2
Advanced

I drive my 94 everyday and have driven in the rain many days and have not had any trouble at all going the speed limit, I would just make sure you have good tires. It hasn't snowed here for a while so i haven't had to drive my vette in the snow but i don't see it being any worse really than any other rear wheel drive car, just have to take it easy and slow.

Quick Reply: How many have driven their Vette in the snow or rain?