C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Don't you love know it all's.

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2008, 09:40 PM
Port A Vette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just let them vent

I get them all the time at car shows. I just let them vent and when they are done they usually move on. At least 85% of the people at car shows don't have a clue what they are looking at anyway.

Larry
Old 05-11-2008, 09:48 PM
jsup
Team Owner

Location: Bergen County, NJ Democrats, doing for the country what they did for Michigan

Originally Posted by MK 82
There is a guy on here who thought my avatar is a muffler!
could be, but I wouldn't want to tailgate you.
Old 05-11-2008, 09:50 PM
dfalliaux
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'15

The gatlin muffler...it's sweet!!!

Yeah I know those guys...but I do have to say that I am NOT one of those guys thanks to this forum and all it's members....I was never one to spout off about chit I didn't know about but now feel that I am fairly educated about my ride and it's all thanks to the memebers of the forum and the c4 gen especially. Thanks guys
Old 05-11-2008, 10:01 PM
mechguy79
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dude! You have got to be kidding me? That's got...like...seven right?

Last edited by mechguy79; 05-11-2008 at 10:02 PM. Reason: can't count...duh
Old 05-11-2008, 10:36 PM
ccrazor
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Followed that thread.. uh huh HP = cc .. sure..
Old 05-11-2008, 10:44 PM
LT1CorvetteBoy58
Advanced

Originally Posted by earthquake68
I build high end hotrods. I get these guys all the time. Two nights ago, I was telling someone I was putting a 10-71 blower on my 496. He fired right back, "I have a 10-81 on mine!" I just let people go when they say stuff like that. Then just snicker to myself as I walk away.

That one kinda reminded me of "Mr. Mom" a little bit.

"You gonna wire it all 220?"
"220, 221, whatever it takes."

For the record, the original roots type blowers were made for Detroit diesels. The 71 series to be exact. A 6-71 came on a, you guessed it, a six cylender. The 8-71 came on a V-8 diesel. The after market quickly saw the need for something bigger, and developed a 10, 12, 14, and 16-71 blower. Since Detroit never made an 81 series engine, this guy was talking out his @$$.

I would have been more impressed if he was just honest and said, " I have an 8-71 on mine" Something else I noticed about idiots with hotrods. They all seem to have an inferiority complex and feel the need to out-do what ever you have. In all my years, I only ever tore apart one idiot. He claimed he beat John Force's funny car with his pro-street Chevette. He showed me all the pictures of his car while he told me what he had done. Then I quoted the NHRA rule book and showed him the pictures of his car. No way junior, didn't happen.
Dont really see alot of detriot 70 series engines i wonder why.
I usually only see the 60's thats been put in every semi that has detroit i could think of.

But ya i hate those kind of people. like the kind of people that say i have trans-axles i dont have a rear end..... (No.... you dont have a drive shaft c5 or c6 guy.... but u still have a rear end) But hey what do i know im only 19 and have been around cars since birth... Its alright there is no argueing you just get indulged in the BS.... Which i think bull**** should become a power source because theres enough of that to power the world 10 times over.
Old 05-11-2008, 10:57 PM
earthquake68
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LT1CorvetteBoy58
Dont really see alot of detriot 70 series engines i wonder why.
I usually only see the 60's thats been put in every semi that has detroit i could think of.
Because they're old. The 71 series were out in the 60's. The military and heavy equipment trucks use the 8V92 engine, which has an 8-92 blower on it. What makes this set up cool is, the roots type blower has a HUGE turbo feeding it. It's way cool to look at. That set up can make an Osh Kosh four axle equipment truck FLY! (the one with the 50" tall tires) I always wanted to see what it would do in a car.

Last edited by earthquake68; 05-11-2008 at 11:00 PM.
Old 05-12-2008, 12:00 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
There was actually a Faconer V-12 Corvette made.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...%3Den%26sa%3DG
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...90&postcount=3

Old 05-12-2008, 01:12 AM
montie98
Pro

A guy from work was checking out my car one day and seemed to really like it. The next time I saw him we were making small talk then all of a sudden he playfully slaps me on the arm with this huge smile on his face he says to me ( DUDE DID YOU KNOW THAT THE 85 VETTE WAS THE WORST VETTE EVER MADE!) Apparently he had mentioned my car to another friend of his who new "alot of ****" about cars. Then he try's to start telling me **** about a car I have owned and worked on since 1997.

There was a part of me that wanted to smack that huge smile of his face so bad but I just calmly told him ( listen, there is nothing you can tell or teach me about that car so just forget it) then we just changed the subject.
Old 05-12-2008, 06:40 AM
mechguy79
Pro

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
Wow, I want one...
Old 05-12-2008, 06:52 AM
toptechx6
Safety Car

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by montie98
A guy from work was checking out my car one day and seemed to really like it. The next time I saw him we were making small talk then all of a sudden he playfully slaps me on the arm with this huge smile on his face he says to me ( DUDE DID YOU KNOW THAT THE 85 VETTE WAS THE WORST VETTE EVER MADE!) Apparently he had mentioned my car to another friend of his who new "alot of ****" about cars. Then he try's to start telling me **** about a car I have owned and worked on since 1997.

There was a part of me that wanted to smack that huge smile of his face so bad but I just calmly told him ( listen, there is nothing you can tell or teach me about that car so just forget it) then we just changed the subject.
You should have just replied, "Yeah I know, but it is still superior to 95% of the other cars on the road!"
Old 05-12-2008, 07:11 AM
tlvols75
Advanced

Ok I got a good one. Back when i was in college about 12 yrs or so ago(way before i got my vette) me and a buddy went to lunch with this girl from work. We knew that she was one of those that that liked to stretch the truth quite a bit, so we would usually bait her to see what kind of stories we could get. Anyway, we were talking cars, and I mentioned how much I loved Corvettes. She mentioned that her 1st car was a 1990 vette. She told us how she got it new as her 1st car when she was 16. I said really, was it an automatic. She said no it was standard...you know, a 5 speed. I said "5 speed?" she reclaimed yes a 5 speed. we asked her what happened to it. well, she totalled it. Wasnt her fault. Somebody crossed the center lane and hit her head on at 55mph. I said man that must have busted the fiberglass all up. she responded, no but it "dented it up pretty bad!!!" also it made the hood fly up(she made a hand motion as to a hood opening up from the front instead of a clamshell" To this day when I see the guy one of us always makes reference to that conversation.
Old 05-12-2008, 09:49 AM
92LRC
Burning Brakes

well it does have silencing properties
Old 05-12-2008, 10:02 AM
Draven
Le Mans Master

Received 58 Likes on 18 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

I've seen some custom choppers with gattling mufflers. When they rev, the thing spins. Kinda cool.

The worst I had was an argument about a ZZ4. Guy telling me a ZZ4 motor was a ZR1 motor. He was pretty gone though and at least he FINALLY listened.
Old 05-12-2008, 10:04 AM
hexane
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by tlvols75
Ok I got a good one. Back when i was in college about 12 yrs or so ago(way before i got my vette) me and a buddy went to lunch with this girl from work. We knew that she was one of those that that liked to stretch the truth quite a bit, so we would usually bait her to see what kind of stories we could get. Anyway, we were talking cars, and I mentioned how much I loved Corvettes. She mentioned that her 1st car was a 1990 vette. She told us how she got it new as her 1st car when she was 16. I said really, was it an automatic. She said no it was standard...you know, a 5 speed. I said "5 speed?" she reclaimed yes a 5 speed. we asked her what happened to it. well, she totalled it. Wasnt her fault. Somebody crossed the center lane and hit her head on at 55mph. I said man that must have busted the fiberglass all up. she responded, no but it "dented it up pretty bad!!!" also it made the hood fly up(she made a hand motion as to a hood opening up from the front instead of a clamshell" To this day when I see the guy one of us always makes reference to that conversation.
Now that's a new way to own yourself...
Old 05-12-2008, 10:06 AM
Draven
Le Mans Master

Received 58 Likes on 18 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by tlvols75
Thats a good bait! I do that all the time. : )
Old 05-12-2008, 10:27 AM
Digital Disaster
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

At a Corvette club meeting no less, a guy parked next to me in a C5 and pointing to my car asked, "Did that come that way?"

Get notified of new replies

To Don't you love know it all's.

Old 05-12-2008, 10:51 AM
Aurora40
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I tried to buy an overdrive unit filter for my '87 4+3 at a GM parts counter. The guy at the counter wouldn't even look up the part for me. He told me there was no such thing as a 4+3 transmission, and someone must have installed it aftermarket. He was insistent to the point of being an ***, he refused to even look it up in the parts computer.

This was back in the late 90's before the Internet really took off, so I didn't have much recourse except to drive to a further Chevy dealership.
Old 05-12-2008, 12:26 PM
SCCA VETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 41 Posts

I sold a old 80's RX7 to a guy and his GF a few years back that was pretty worn out. If you drove it easy it had 0 issues BUT if you ran the crap out of it it would smoke like crazy. I informed both of them when I sold it to them for 300 bucks. I even drove it and showed them.

The GF came back a couple weeks later and advised that it was smoking BAD. I went for a ride with her BF (that was letting GF do all the talking) and sure enough he was running the crap out of it and it was smoking. I told him to drive it easy and when he did it quit smoking.

After explaining it to GF yet again, she advised me that her mechanic looked at it and siad it had a blown head gasket. I tried to explain to her that it did not have a head gasket and was a rotary motor. She advised me that she was in automechanics class and ALL cars have head gaskets. She also advised me that if I did not buy the car back she was going to take me to court for selling her a car with a blown head gasket. I told her "see you in court" and make sure you bring your mechanic with you that looked at it.

Never did get a summons for court HOWEVER a couple weeks later somebody set my house on fire. Could not prove it was them BUT they were the only ones that I could think of that would try something so stupid.
Old 05-12-2008, 01:41 PM
derekguzz
Melting Slicks

Speakin o kno it all's , look up " Johny ricer" on youtube.com , theres a couple of videos. Sooooo funny

Quick Reply: Don't you love know it all's.