C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Black Hose Clamps

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 02:29 PM
94flavette
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Black Hose Clamps

Does anyone know who sells black 'screw-type' hose clamps? I'm redoing the cooling hoses and would like to get better ones than the compression style that came stock. I started with regular chrome ones, but I would like black better.
Old 04-23-2008, 02:55 PM
Iroc57
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you can't find them just spray them with some high temp. I can't see waiting for special order clamps but that is just me.
Worst case is a little dab of touch up if you get goofy with the screwdriver
Old 04-23-2008, 03:04 PM
onedef92
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

In any case, you are wise not to re-use the O.E.M. constant tension hose clamps.

I've known them to break over time. Not real common, but I have seen this happen. Use screw clamps and you'll be fine.

And don't reuse the original hose because the new clamp may not seal the old hose. I've seen hoses leak just from moving the constant tension clamp to a different position.
Old 04-24-2008, 06:05 AM
coltcarbine
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by onedef92
In any case, you are wise not to re-use the O.E.M. constant tension hose clamps.

I've known them to break over time. Not real common, but I have seen this happen. Use screw clamps and you'll be fine.

And don't reuse the original hose because the new clamp may not seal the old hose. I've seen hoses leak just from moving the constant tension clamp to a different position.

I went through this last year when replacing all of my hoses, it's the same advice that was given to me and looking back, it was excellent advice.

94flavette,
Good luck with your project and I hope you find your clamps. I put the chrome looking, screw type on my car and I really don't care for the look either.

cc
Old 04-25-2008, 12:19 AM
kize
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I also gave up on the black clamps. I did find a high quality stainless hose clamp that does not tear up the hoses, stays round and most of all does not leak under pressure. I believe they are ABA brand. High quality and holds all the goofy hoses put on the vette by GM. Search the net, you can find them everywhere at race suppliers- thats what they use. And they look nice

Last edited by kize; 04-25-2008 at 12:51 AM.
Old 04-25-2008, 12:54 AM
mseven
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When I had other parts for mine powder coated I threw in some clamps w/all the other add ons.
Old 04-25-2008, 12:28 PM
onedef92
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Originally Posted by coltcarbine

I went through this last year when replacing all of my hoses, it's the same advice that was given to me and looking back, it was excellent advice.

94flavette,
Good luck with your project and I hope you find your clamps. I put the chrome looking, screw type on my car and I really don't care for the look either.

cc
The last thing you want is a coolant hose puking all over your Opti, vented or not.

Get notified of new replies

To Black Hose Clamps

Quick Reply: Black Hose Clamps